Pages:
Author

Topic: I Am Unplugging My Bitcoin Cash Miners & You Should Too | ASIC Mining Is Dying - page 2. (Read 2641 times)

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
You dont have a 7 year write off.  Section 179 was 500K instant and up to 2mill accelorated BUT since new Trump tax laws hit Section 179 is gone and its just the law.  So you can write off instantly any amount with a few exceptions like a building etc.  If it can be removed and taken with you then it can be instantly depreciated.  A driveway for example can't.

Hope that helps and of course talk to you tax guy.  If he is not a dip shit he will be aware of this stuff.

The reason i built my 4mw building was because of the tax hits I can avoid.  Well not avoid just kicking the can down the road is a better analogy.

would you mind elaborating on some decisions you've made mainly based around navigating taxes better?

Taxes . . a complicated system that is always changing lol
Activity: 73
Merit: 2
what do you do with ASIC if it noth worth to mine.

it can sell like vga card sell to gamer

what do you want to dothrow it away or keep it until btc price up?

Stick it on eBay as an auction. One man's trash is another man's treasure  Wink
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
what do you do with ASIC if it noth worth to mine.

it can sell like vga card sell to gamer

what do you want to dothrow it away or keep it until btc price up?
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
As we head into the last quarter of 2018 some dynamics:
1) All that pent up video card demand will eat up lots of those 1070/1080s that were used "temporarily" for ETH - I don't see these cards hitting rock bottom too quickly
2) Those poor 1060 3GB cards - man those are soon trash other than for mid level gamers (unless you're mining in Win 7). Hopefully nVidia tries to rip us a new one on RTX equivalent. I've populated as many game rigs as I could with 1060s - need to get rid of the last few stragglers. Even 144Hz monitors can't help support the price because anybody guying GSYNC is going to get at least a 1070.
3) This season the 144Hz craze (you can see it from all the posts in Reddit BAPC) will help eat up some of those RX580s. Vegas still have a home in Monero. If you haven't dumped your RX470/480s yet you've got some insane power rates.
4) RAM and SSD prices are dropping so people will build rigs for 4K systems. Console 4k is meh. Looking at the RTX pricing nVidia is not enticing people to buy new cards.
Plan you farm decommission appropriately. I made money as the market went up, and sold my gear at top prices - I'm still HODLing to pick up the coins. ETH dumping velocity from ICO addresses is still relevant.

here is a small rig 2 vegas and a threadripper

https://www.nicehash.com/miner/1JdC6Xg3ajT3rge3FgPNSYYFpmf53VbtjeProfitability

0.0004 BTC/day
2.92 USD/day
Efficiency
100.00%

note 2.92 usd  and gear burns 550 watts  which is 13.2 k-watts  I don't push it  it is pretty quiet.   13.2 kwatts at 10 cents is 1.32 a day  which means 1.60 profit a day  x 365 = 584  paid back each year and  gear has 3 years of warranties.  

also for 6 months of the year it is free heating.   Now does it mean I will have 70 gpus this winter  no I will be under 20.

So last year OCT NOV DEC  and JAN   2018 were  wonderful.     This year not so much.

Agreed Vegas have done quite well mostly because fluffy gives a rats ass unlike most of the other self serving devs bought off by ASIC money.

This is another example of why it's good to diversify your cards if you're building a farm. Jumping all in on 1080s for Equihash or RX 470s for ETH may seem good at the time but you're not able to ride out long dips like this.

yeah I sold off most of my cards and it's a lot easier to manage 20 cards instead of 500. I remember back when BTC was 13TH/s - I was a meaningful part of the network lol.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
1) All that pent up video card demand will eat up lots of those 1070/1080s that were used "temporarily" for ETH - I don't see these cards hitting rock bottom too quickly
2) Those poor 1060 3GB cards - man those are soon trash other than for mid level gamers (unless you're mining in Win 7). Hopefully nVidia tries to rip us a new one on RTX equivalent. I've populated as many game rigs as I could with 1060s - need to get rid of the last few stragglers. Even 144Hz monitors can't help support the price because anybody guying GSYNC is going to get at least a 1070.
3) This season the 144Hz craze (you can see it from all the posts in Reddit BAPC) will help eat up some of those RX580s. Vegas still have a home in Monero. If you haven't dumped your RX470/480s yet you've got some insane power rates.
4) RAM and SSD prices are dropping so people will build rigs for 4K systems. Console 4k is meh. Looking at the RTX pricing nVidia is not enticing people to buy new cards.
Plan you farm decommission appropriately. I made money as the market went up, and sold my gear at top prices - I'm still HODLing to pick up the coins. ETH dumping velocity from ICO addresses is still relevant.

here is a small rig 2 vegas and a threadripper

https://www.nicehash.com/miner/1JdC6Xg3ajT3rge3FgPNSYYFpmf53VbtjeProfitability

0.0004 BTC/day
2.92 USD/day
Efficiency
100.00%

note 2.92 usd  and gear burns 550 watts  which is 13.2 k-watts  I don't push it  it is pretty quiet.   13.2 kwatts at 10 cents is 1.32 a day  which means 1.60 profit a day  x 365 = 584  paid back each year and  gear has 3 years of warranties.  

also for 6 months of the year it is free heating.   Now does it mean I will have 70 gpus this winter  no I will be under 20.

So last year OCT NOV DEC  and JAN   2018 were  wonderful.     This year not so much.
Activity: 847
Merit: 383
You dont have a 7 year write off.  Section 179 was 500K instant and up to 2mill accelorated BUT since new Trump tax laws hit Section 179 is gone and its just the law.  So you can write off instantly any amount with a few exceptions like a building etc.  If it can be removed and taken with you then it can be instantly depreciated.  A driveway for example can't.

Hope that helps and of course talk to you tax guy.  If he is not a dip shit he will be aware of this stuff.

The reason i built my 4mw building was because of the tax hits I can avoid.  Well not avoid just kicking the can down the road is a better analogy.
DrG
legendary
Seems there are many who believe in the technology and are just mining at a loss just to get some BTC.

You say mining at loss? only idiots do that cause it was explained countless of times that doing that you are at double loss, anyway, i do believe there are idiots out there but not as many as you trolls think, 70% of total eth hashrate are asics and asics never mine at loss where gpus is not totally negative at 0.10 per kw, whereas gpus give $0.15 per 30 mhs on eth, asics like the f3, given the same $0.15 to asics + another $0.20 the electricity they save  then we can come up with $0.35 per 30 mhs, so each 1.5 ghs f3 give around 20 usd, without any hard work whatsoever, to carry on till market recovers.  The only ones still earning money here are asic manufactures, whereas gpu miners get $0.15 per gpu, asics miners like bitman f3 are earning 20 usd per asic, not bad if you ask me and like i said before this crash is due to that, bitmain was earning 100 usd per eth asic, not to mention the other asics which were making much more money, asics destroyed everything again, if there were no asics then eth right now would be around 3k usd minimum.

No you fail to see long term mining  ie year after year after year has completely different tax laws  then buy and hold.

You have lots of good info  but sometime you don't know what you are talkng about.

I will mine at a loss for August and Sept.  At that point I will start more reduction of mining.

I already know  what I am willing to lose from August to December this year.  About 1k So far I lost 300 in August.

The 1k simply  will reduce my early year profits and reduce my tax bill.

While buying 4k in coins does zero to help tax bills and tax planing.

This is USA law I know many places have different laws.
But for me to mine and hold the coins  say spend 4k  on power to earn 3k in coins

Gives me  more tax benefits then to buy 4k in coins and hold them.

Mining and holding  the 4k allows me a 4k power cost for taxes this year.

Since taxes are 33%  4 k power cost saves me  1333  which makes up for the 1k lost   4k power- 3 k coins - 1 k loss

the  cost basis for the 3k in coins  will be zero when I sell    So I gain 333 this year    and when I sell in later years I will pay more tax.

buying 4k  and holding does zero.  this year.  when I sell  cost basis is 4k

Buying and holding the 4k spent  allows me no  power cost for taxes this year.  So I gain zero this year and when I sell in later year I will pay less tax.

This is a big reason for mining at a loss and you leave it out.

So don't.

This gives me a possible  1 to 2 years of loss without issues  for tax benefits  to be taken now.

Phil I think you are focusing on a very important point that I left out for the sake of a shorter video. Electric write off and the way those expenses play into taxes.

Does anyone work with any tax professionals that tote themselves as experts with cryptocurrency. I’d love to see them weigh in

I've re-read Phil's post about 5 times and it honestly doesn't make much sense (literally and financially).  Yes, spending on electricity will lower your tax liability on what you mined.  But only to the tune of 33% (or insert your tax rate here).  Maybe I have a different definition of mining at a loss, but I define it as spending more on mining than what you are earning, I.E. The money you spent could have instead been spent on buying the coins outright with the results of more coins.  Or in other terms, instead of pumping $10 in the claw machine to win the stuffed animal, you could have bought 2 stuffed animals for $10.  If you are mining, then you pay taxes on everything you mine.  But if you mine and hold, and the currency goes up, then you are still paying capital gains taxes, no different than buying it outright.
A big issue with this (which is a whole other debacle) is that the tax situation is flawed which I won't completely open that can of worms right now . . AND ALSO the new 25% tariffs are insane, like the recent scammy 20k asic miner co zeon would carry a tariff of $5000 . . Hurting the case for mining even further Huh

Yeah most miners don't understand business. Except when starting, most large purchases have to be depreciated off a schedule (ie over several years). Section 179. This is true for cars, XRay equipment, video cards (I've written off all 3). Sometimes the IRS will give you a tax cupcake like being able to write off 10K of depreciation from a car the very day you buy it, but after that it falls on a curve (why buying was better for me than leasing).

Most ASIC miners are trash after about 8 months - I can't even fathom trying to write them off on a schedule over 7 years.  Unless you're running a big farm or you really want to burn your personal tax liability mining under a business just is not worth it.
DrG
legendary
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
Seems there are many who believe in the technology and are just mining at a loss just to get some BTC.

You say mining at loss? only idiots do that cause it was explained countless of times that doing that you are at double loss, anyway, i do believe there are idiots out there but not as many as you trolls think, 70% of total eth hashrate are asics and asics never mine at loss where gpus is not totally negative at 0.10 per kw, whereas gpus give $0.15 per 30 mhs on eth, asics like the f3, given the same $0.15 to asics + another $0.20 the electricity they save  then we can come up with $0.35 per 30 mhs, so each 1.5 ghs f3 give around 20 usd, without any hard work whatsoever, to carry on till market recovers.  The only ones still earning money here are asic manufactures, whereas gpu miners get $0.15 per gpu, asics miners like bitman f3 are earning 20 usd per asic, not bad if you ask me and like i said before this crash is due to that, bitmain was earning 100 usd per eth asic, not to mention the other asics which were making much more money, asics destroyed everything again, if there were no asics then eth right now would be around 3k usd minimum.

No you fail to see long term mining  ie year after year after year has completely different tax laws  then buy and hold.

You have lots of good info  but sometime you don't know what you are talkng about.

I will mine at a loss for August and Sept.  At that point I will start more reduction of mining.

I already know  what I am willing to lose from August to December this year.  About 1k So far I lost 300 in August.

But for me to mine and hold the coins  say spend 4k  on power to earn 3k in coins

Since taxes are 33%  4 k power cost saves me  1333  which makes up for the 1k lost   4k power- 3 k coins - 1 k loss

the  cost basis for the 3k in coins  will be zero when I sell    So I gain 333 this year    and when I sell in later years I will pay more tax.

Buying and holding the 4k spent  allows me no  power cost for taxes this year.  So I gain zero this year and when I sell in later year I will pay less tax.

So don't.

This gives me a possible  1 to 2 years of loss without issues  for tax benefits  to be taken now.

Phil I think you are focusing on a very important point that I left out for the sake of a shorter video. Electric write off and the way those expenses play into taxes.

Does anyone work with any tax professionals that tote themselves as experts with cryptocurrency. I’d love to see them weigh in

I've re-read Phil's post about 5 times and it honestly doesn't make much sense (literally and financially).  Yes, spending on electricity will lower your tax liability on what you mined.  But only to the tune of 33% (or insert your tax rate here).  Maybe I have a different definition of mining at a loss, but I define it as spending more on mining than what you are earning, I.E. The money you spent could have instead been spent on buying the coins outright with the results of more coins.  Or in other terms, instead of pumping $10 in the claw machine to win the stuffed animal, you could have bought 2 stuffed animals for $10.  If you are mining, then you pay taxes on everything you mine.  But if you mine and hold, and the currency goes up, then you are still paying capital gains taxes, no different than buying it outright.
A big issue with this (which is a whole other debacle) is that the tax situation is flawed which I won't completely open that can of worms right now . . AND ALSO the new 25% tariffs are insane, like the recent scammy 20k asic miner co zeon would carry a tariff of $5000 . . Hurting the case for mining even further Huh
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
Why does no one talk about the rate of ADOPTION...as in the actual USE OF BTC as a currency...
Well because it is a JOKE..total failure.
The rate of adoption is pathetic BECAUSE no one will buy or use it while it is so vulnerable to exchange speculators and MEGA FARMS who enjoy the cheap production and monopoly over it.
mega farms of cheap electricity have indeed KILLED BTC mining....and destroyed any chance of wide spread adoption.
Equally guilty are the parasitic exchanges and whale speculators.

I will NEVER pay for BTC or use it or accept it.
I'll mine the shit out of my tiny farm and sell most IMMEDIATELY and never upgrade or reinvest in gear again.

BTC died LONG AGO...People just don't understand that they are just profiting off it's funeral.
It NEVER had a chance...the rich banking power elite was NEVER going to tolerate loosing it's grasp on the power to CREATE MONEY.
They got caught napping but greed ensured BTC would be delivered right into their arms. And here we are.
Bitcoin core is OWNED by AXA insurance of Zurich...the chairman is a Bilderberg

Bro you need to get real. Did you think the future was we all gonna GPU mine with gaming cards making $15 dollar a day per  card and and all gonna drive off to the sunset in lambos.

Btc is so high in value and growth potential, it's foolish to use for daily currency. Only meant for big purchase. Your better bet is to use bitcoin cash for everyday currency, since the future is not as secured as Bitcoin best to use bitcoin cash

Anyways you sound like your a fiat hodler and I hope you Enjoy those gains.

Sounds like he just simply hates crypto lol, I'd like to see some citations personally Cheesy
Activity: 846
Merit: 115
Why does no one talk about the rate of ADOPTION...as in the actual USE OF BTC as a currency...
The rate of adoption is pathetic BECAUSE no one will buy or use it while it is so vulnerable to exchange speculators and MEGA FARMS who enjoy the cheap production and monopoly over it.
mega farms of cheap electricity have indeed KILLED BTC mining....and destroyed any chance of wide spread adoption.

I'll mine the shit out of my tiny farm and sell most IMMEDIATELY and never upgrade or reinvest in gear again.

BTC died LONG AGO...People just don't understand that they are just profiting off it's funeral.
It NEVER had a chance...the rich banking power elite was NEVER going to tolerate loosing it's grasp on the power to CREATE MONEY.
They got caught napping but greed ensured BTC would be delivered right into their arms. And here we are.

Bro you need to get real. Did you think the future was we all gonna GPU mine with gaming cards making $15 dollar a day per  card and and all gonna drive off to the sunset in lambos.

Btc is so high in value and growth potential, it's foolish to use for daily currency. Only meant for big purchase. Your better bet is to use bitcoin cash for everyday currency, since the future is not as secured as Bitcoin best to use bitcoin cash

Anyways you sound like your a fiat hodler and I hope you Enjoy those gains.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
I too also unplugged my miner last month and ended up selling it. It's just not worth it at this time.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster

Where I live, we dont pay taxes if buying coins, only if we profit from it, for example, if i buy 4k in coins, i will not pay taxes at all, if those 4k in coins become 8k or any other value above 4k within a year then i will pay 15% from anything i made after 4k. So for example, if coins are worth 4100 usd after a year and i bought at 4k and i sell then i will pay 15% of  100 usd which is 15 usd. As for mining is the same 15%, so all in all for me buying coins is a lot more profitable than turning my money on a double loss. Well, like i said before everyone has to make their own calculation and determine what is worth more, that is the reason i say mining to be profitable only if returns your money in less than 100 days, buying and selling is way more profitable for me. Last year I earned 2000% by selling and buying, my friend mining made only 150% and mining was profitable, imagine now that since march mining is not profitable at all and I'm still earning money from buying and selling and my friend, well, shut off his gpus.

To finalize, if coins crash from 4k to 2k usd, i will never pay anything until coins are above 4k and i decide to sell, if i dont sell then i will never pay taxes, as for mining, my friend shut off his computers because  first as the equipment is paid off, anything he mines is 15% tax + electricity, altcoins at these prices, he is losing on electricity and he needs to pay 15% of tax and plus equipment is being devalued , so this is actually a triple loss, probably if you think about is a quad loss.
Activity: 558
Merit: 295
Walter Russell's Cosmogony is RIGHT!

legendary

I've re-read Phil's post about 5 times and it honestly doesn't make much sense (literally and financially).  Yes, spending on electricity will lower your tax liability on what you mined.  But only to the tune of 33% (or insert your tax rate here).  Maybe I have a different definition of mining at a loss, but I define it as spending more on mining than what you are earning, I.E. The money you spent could have instead been spent on buying the coins outright with the results of more coins.  Or in other terms, instead of pumping $10 in the claw machine to win the stuffed animal, you could have bought 2 stuffed animals for $10.  If you are mining, then you pay taxes on everything you mine.  But if you mine and hold, and the currency goes up, then you are still paying capital gains taxes, no different than buying it outright.

Lets make coins = to 1000 usd

example 1

I made  5000 profit on mining this year,

I spent 5000 on machines
I spent 5000 on power
I mined 15000 in coins
profit = 15000 - 10000 = 5000  I owe tax on 5000  33% tax of 1667

rest of the year  I spend 4 k power  and earn 3 k in coins  loss of 1000

net 4000  gain  33% tax of 1333

in both cases I hodl  the coins mined  I would have 18 coins if they where  1000 each  

So I spent 4k   what happened this year I lowered my tax bill  by 333

second example

I made  5000 profit on mining this year,

I spent 5000 on machines
I spent 5000 on power
I mined 15000 in coins
profit = 15000 - 10000 = 5000  I owe tax on 5000  33% tax of 1667

I spend 4k  and buy 4k in coins

I have 15 coins then 4 coins  or 19 coins 

but I owe 1667 in tax not 1333.  end of year that is 333 or 334 loser.

but 

I have 18 coins in example 1
I have 19 coins in example 2

As long as I hodl them    example 2  cost me 333 more the example 1

So if those 1000 coins   drop to 332 or lower  example 1 is  the winner.

and example 2 is the loser

since the plan is to hodl  for 5 to 10 years.

example 1 has me 333 ahead  of
example 2

as long as I hodl.

If you read the long  thread above  I did say I can't justify  years and years of mining at a loss.

But with planning  I can mine at a loss from now until December 2017

In fact to explain a bit more

I am 333 or 334 ahead in cash for 2018

I am 18 coins vs 19 coins.

In 2019 december I sell  1 coin
  in both examples.

so I am 333/334 ahead in cash for 2018
in 2019  I am even  as I sold 1 coin in both examples  and my coins are 17 and 18

sell 1 coin in

even all those years.    coins are 13 and 14    I am  still yet to see  the real loss

sell 1 coin in

even all those year.  coins are 10 and 11  I am still yet to see the real loss

sell 2 coins in

even all those years   coins are 2 and 3  I am still yet to see the real loss

sell a coin in

even all this years and I  now am 90 years old.

0 coins left in example 1

1 coin left in example 2  and still yet to suffer the loss as I did not sell that coin  so for 29 years  I am 333 usd ahead.

and in year 30  I fall behind by the value of 1 coin only if I sell it.
legendary

I've re-read Phil's post about 5 times and it honestly doesn't make much sense (literally and financially).  Yes, spending on electricity will lower your tax liability on what you mined.  But only to the tune of 33% (or insert your tax rate here).  Maybe I have a different definition of mining at a loss, but I define it as spending more on mining than what you are earning, I.E. The money you spent could have instead been spent on buying the coins outright with the results of more coins.  Or in other terms, instead of pumping $10 in the claw machine to win the stuffed animal, you could have bought 2 stuffed animals for $10.  If you are mining, then you pay taxes on everything you mine.  But if you mine and hold, and the currency goes up, then you are still paying capital gains taxes, no different than buying it outright.

Lets make coins = to 1000 usd

example 1

I made  5000 profit on mining this year,

I spent 5000 on machines
I spent 5000 on power
I mined 15000 in coins
profit = 15000 - 10000 = 5000  I owe tax on 5000  33% tax of 1667

rest of the year  I spend 4 k power  and earn 3 k in coins  loss of 1000

net 4000  gain  33% tax of 1333

in both cases I hodl  the coins mined  I would have 18 coins if they where  1000 each  

So I spent 4k   what happened this year I lowered my tax bill  by 333

second example

I made  5000 profit on mining this year,

I spent 5000 on machines
I spent 5000 on power
I mined 15000 in coins
profit = 15000 - 10000 = 5000  I owe tax on 5000  33% tax of 1667

I spend 4k  and buy 4k in coins

I have 15 coins then 4 coins  or 19 coins 

but I owe 1667 in tax not 1333.  end of year that is 333 or 334 loser.

but 

I have 18 coins in example 1
I have 19 coins in example 2

As long as I hodl them    example 2  cost me 333 more the example 1

So if those 1000 coins   drop to 332 or lower  example 1 is  the winner.

and example 2 is the loser

since the plan is to hodl  for 5 to 10 years.

example 1 has me 333 ahead  of
example 2

as long as I hodl.

If you read the long  thread above  I did say I can't justify  years and years of mining at a loss.

But with planning  I can mine at a loss from now until December 2017
Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

So don't.

YouTube.com/VoskCoin
Remember all those new users who joined last year and we told them to hold off on mining and instead buy coins if they wanted to take risks - well failure to head that advice now I see a lot of posts of new users cursing at crypto.

I know the crypto world is 10x as fast as the fiat world as far as growth and volatility, but what sensible person thought ETH would sustain $5k and BTC would hit $100k so that rigs could pay themselves off in a month. It's almost as bad as the housing bubble.

Sit still, remain calm, turn off the miner (if you're paying over 10 cents/KWH), and see where we are in 6 months. There will be no arise chikun moon rockets under the Christmas tree this year (my opinion anyway). Hopefully 2019 more reasonable ICOs and possibly ETH POS (with corresponding price increase) will make this endeavor worthwhile.

Eth devs looking at pushing back PoS 1-3 more years O_o

I’m just here for the Christmas moon rockets

It’s funny if you advise users to just buy, as a miner yourself they’ll say you are just saying that so that you can keep all of the mining profits to yourself!!
YouTube.com/VoskCoin

So don't.

YouTube.com/VoskCoin
Why is this in the altcoin mining section?!
Bitcoin cash and bitcoin core btcc are alt coins and this video is based around sha-256 mining that while I talk about bitcoin the the video directly applies to many Alts! Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: