Pages:
Author

Topic: I am writing an article on how to stop bitcoin. Can you guy help out? - page 3. (Read 284 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 63
I know one effective way to STOP bitcoin and that is through EMP or Solar flares or if we are unfortunate, a nuclear war too.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 2148
Depends on what you mean by "stop". Do you want Bitcoin to stop existing, i.e. no new blocks mined, or preventing 99.99% of population from using it would also count as successfully stopping Bitcoin?

In the first case, this can be achieved with 51% attack that mines empty blocks - no transactions will be possible. But it requires continuously consuming enormous amounts of electricity, and having the needed hardware. No government can afford this.

Banning Bitcoin by most governments in the world, especially those with big influence like US, China, EU would push Bitcoin underground and make it just a tool for darknet markets.
Activity: 44
Merit: 12

Bitcoin is not only a “currency”, or some consider a “commodity”, it’s a censorship resistant, multi-generational protocol too. The market can be stopped, but Bitcoin goes somewhere it can find efficiency and flourish.

Thanks, that is helpful!

Overestimated. Ignore.

I think this is an important part, no matter what we think about "The enemy chain" it did polarize the community and managed to gather a lot of hash power. And most important of all, it audited the blockchain. everyone moved their coins, Exchanges had to prove they held funds and Big stash such as Satoshi and early miners didn't move.

legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823
Hi everyone I am writing a small article on how Bitcoin can be stopped. Mainly to serve my little community who keep asking me questions.
My main ideas for the moments are below, any input whatsoever, constructive criticism is more than welcome.

Wall Street hand to manipulate markets
JPMorgan talking bad now entering
Coinbase ipo
Etfs
Institutional long and short
Bitmex guy under investigation

Bitcoin is not only a “currency”, or some consider a “commodity”, it’s a censorship resistant, multi-generational protocol too. The market can be stopped, but Bitcoin goes somewhere it can find efficiency and flourish.

Bcash and other forks as a political control of the comunity
Political attacks
Auditing the chain through forks
divide and conquer

Overestimated. Ignore.

Government bans
Push market underground
On off ramps
KYC to persecute

Isn’t the government trying/have tried/or failed?

Hacks
51% attacks
quantum computing
Mt Gox
Cryptsy

There’s no incentive to attack Bitcoin through 51% mining power. They will be more profitable by mining honestly.

Bitcoin hacks would be the tiniest of the world’s problems with Quantum Computing.
The end goal of the article would be to show that there is now way to stop it. The nodes will be validating the rules, the miners mining and a block containing transactions will continue to be mined every 10 minutes.

So I am taking the ideas that people new to the system can have when it comes to their notions of stopping bitcoin. stuff like "what is government ban it", "what if they hack it"...
Activity: 93
Merit: 1
Maybe I'm wrong or too optimistic about Bitcoin, but I believe the only thing that can physically stop Bitcoin is    a blackout electricity. If suddenly electricity goes away foever, we won't be able to mine/use Bitcoin.
copper member
Activity: 2800
Merit: 1268
Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph
What do you mean STOP? That totally no nodes anywhere operating? Or just a specific thing that wouldn't let people use their BTC?

Almost everything in your list has been accused to BTC and has been expressed. Despite that, look at BTC now. It's more vital than ever, and I don't think it's stopping anytime soon. Especially not in our lifetime.
Hi everyone I am writing a small article on how Bitcoin can be stopped. Mainly to serve my little community who keep asking me questions.
My main ideas for the moments are below, any input whatsoever, constructive criticism is more than welcome.

Wall Street hand to manipulate markets
JPMorgan talking bad now entering
Coinbase ipo
Etfs
Institutional long and short
Bitmex guy under investigation

Bcash and other forks as a political control of the comunity
Political attacks
Auditing the chain through forks
divide and conquer

Government bans
Push market underground