Pages:
Author

Topic: I do not want blockchain data stored under Application Data folder, how to - page 2. (Read 41756 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
Anyone think that this information is worth pinning/adding into the bitcoin client?
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
My data dir is 13.4GB... That is a LOT of expensive SSD space. My SSD is very nearly full now
Junction are workable but aside from being advanced knowledge they are also hard to change later on (if I want to move it again to a new location).

1. conf file should be stored in same directory as executable, not in data dir.
2. conf file should specify the data dir (as either relative or absolute path), which should be changable via GUI.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
I feel that this need a necrobump, I ran into this solution, And damn, Jake262144's fix is PERFECT
It creates a shortcut to tell your bitcoin client to go someplace else, BTW, if your blockchain downloads really really slow, Blame your harddrive
Activity: 700
Merit: 250
yeah wtf,
 downlaoding the initial blockchanin is a mess! i corrupted three hard disks and even with the initial file from sourceforge i am trying to it for over a month now here in vienna/austra/europe

so i cannot stress enough the following proposal:

Ideally, path to the data files should be accessible in the client via the Settings -> Options menu.

The beauty of using a symlink is that it won't ever be broken by reinstalling the client. It is paid for by the necessity to type a few dozen characters into the elevated command prompt.
The biggest benefit of modifying shortcuts is simplicity. This approach is less bulletproof.
Both are acceptable solutions, enough said.

A bright side of messing with the registry... ugh, there is no bright side to that
Activity: 497
Merit: 500
I think Tinman is asking if he has to link each of the 3 files.
Activity: 720
Merit: 525
I tried Timo Y's idea  but I have three .dat files:
blk0001.dat
blk0002.dat
blkindex.dat

and I wasn't sure how they would work out. 

jake262144's trick is what I used. It lasts perfectly through upgrades and does exactly what I wanted.
Activity: 149
I tried Timo Y's idea  but I have three .dat files:
blk0001.dat
blk0002.dat
blkindex.dat

and I wasn't sure how they would work out. 
Activity: 71
Merit: 10
An option in the GUI is a must I think.  Blockchain just hit 3GB and is increasing rapidly....
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
What would I put into the bitcoin.conf file to change it to look for the blockchain in H:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin  ?  The wiki doesn't mention it at all.
I don't think you can change that?
Activity: 149
What would I put into the bitcoin.conf file to change it to look for the blockchain in H:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin  ?  The wiki doesn't mention it at all.
Activity: 720
Merit: 525
I've had to google this twice over the past several months, and was surprised both times to not find this in the wiki. Is this still the best way to accomplish this? Should it be added? (Here, probably.) I would prefer someone more familiar with the workings of windows to write it up (see first sentence for my lack of credentials on the subject).
legendary
Merit: 1000
Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem
Again, thank you all above for your great patience and passion on solving the trouble.

In fact, I consider there will be some commands or option settings to help me to achieve this aim, but seems it's not that easy, for us, engineers, it's not so bad to do those operations, but I think it would not be simple for one not familiar with computers, maybe in the future the words with btc_artist can be considered by the dev team.

thanks.
legendary
Merit: 1000
Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem
This is what I have done on Windows 7 using a symbolic link:

1. Open C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\

2. Move the file blk0001.dat (the large file that stores the block chain) to a different disk, eg. D:\bitcoin-blockchain\

3. Run Command Prompt as Administrator (Accessories>Command Promt) and right click "Run as administrator". CAREFUL! mistyping a command here could damage your OS, so make sure you have backed up all important files before doing this.

4. Go to Bitcoin Folder

Code:
cd C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\

5. Execute mklink commnand, eg.

Code:
mklink blk0001.dat D:\bitcoin-blockchain\blk0001.dat

This replaces your blk0001.dat file with an identically-named symbolic link file.

Good luck.

thank you so much, and it's helpful to me.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
If you are using and older version of Windows with NTFS then I can send you an "ln" executable (or the source code for it in c++) that I whipped up years ago (just calls the API function to make a hard link - note that being a hard link the other logical drive must be on the same physical hard drive)...
Had you tried that yourself you'd know that bitcoin client crashes when using hard-linked directories.
Try your own tool or grab Sysinternals Junction from Microsoft and for crying out loud test your advice before posting.

Well I only mentioned a tool rather than what to do with it actually - the advice I would have given (if he was interested in the tool at all) would be to hardlink to the large file rather than to a directory and I *know* Bitcoin works with that because that is how I use it.
Activity: 154
Merit: 102
Bitcoin!
This does not help with the OP's problem directly, but the Bitcoin client should be split into two parts-- (1) a daemon that maintains a shared block chain and relays transactions for all users on the computer. (2) a wallet management program that users have to manage their wallet(s), send money etc.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Ideally, path to the data files should be accessible in the client via the Settings -> Options menu.

Bingo and that setting should be stored in the bitcoin.conf (which should exist in all instances even if just set to defaults).

No problem with app data folder having config file but given:
a) the size of the blockchain
b) the need to keep secure and backup the wallet

the data folder should be a user defined option.

Then again I think the wallet should be separated from the daemon completely.  The wallet just being a front end that handles the GUI, keeps the wallet.dat file secure and "talks" to the daemon for everything else.
Activity: 210

The beauty of using a symlink is that it won't ever be broken by reinstalling the client. It is paid for by the necessity to type a few dozen characters into the elevated command prompt.
The biggest benefit of modifying shortcuts is simplicity. This approach is less bulletproof.
Both are acceptable solutions, enough said.

A bright side of messing with the registry... ugh, there is no bright side to that Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
The user just needs to modify the shortcut every time he updates the app.
If he's not capable of (remembering to) perform such a simple administration task he shouldn't be updating it on the first place Wink
Activity: 210
Click the icon and open Bitcoin with your new dir, now and forever.
Provided only this modified shortcut is ever used.
Should an unmodified shortcut or the executable itself be invoked, this approach will fail.
An installer might overwrite the start menu shortcut during upgrade.

I'm not complicating things, I'm trying to point out potential problems.

I removed the line suggesting registry changes as I said this was a total overkill.
I can't see anything wrong with symlinks, that's a great feature of the new versions of Windows.
Then again, I agree that an approach requiring some command prompt action might be considered a bit geeky by the non-techie crowd.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
Modify the shortcut that starts the client so it has the option and just click 2 times to open the app as usual?

If in windows, right click the Bitcoin shortcut icon and choose Properties.
On the Target field append -datadir= after the path to bitcoin that is already there(don't forget to enclose the new dir path in quotes if it contain spaces.
Save.
Click the icon and open Bitcoin with your new dir, now and forever.

Incredible how you say that using a software feature is a band-aid and at the same time suggest symlinks and registry changes to achieve the same result...
Pages:
Jump to: