Pages:
Author

Topic: I dont' know how to feel about this.Jim Harper and Amy Weiss to join BF - page 2. (Read 2040 times)

Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Jim Harper and Amy Weiss seem pretty well connected. Certainly they should be able to be effective at what they do. A little bit of paying lobbyists can go a long way. Hopefully they will take us in the right direction.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
i still think employing americans to concentrate on american policy is the stupidest idea. we need people from international law and media instead.

Why not go whole hog and rely completely on the man down the street?
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
as long as they dont add ID verification into gavins QT program. the only ID bitcoin needs is the privkey to prove you own the specific public key in the bitcoin ledger.

now presuming nothing about this changes the bitcoin protocol. i see that although these two public faces have held employment in very expensive salaried jobs before and that the bitcoin foundation wil probably be paying them the same handsome large figures. i think that people with experience of politics can be useful (in the very narrowest of requirements) to ensure the otside media get their facts right and that other politicians learn what bitcoin really is about. basically removing the fud and speculation that is thrown around so much.

i still think employing americans to concentrate on american policy is the stupidest idea. we need people from international law and media instead.

True! So bad the BF is basically a USBF..

Why is it bad that it's U.S. centric. Bitcoin started in the U.S., most of the really big criminals of Bitcoin are from the U.S., the lead dev is from the U.S. and the major businesses that use Bitcoin are too. It's natural that the only major organization supporting Bitcoin would focus on the Unraveling States of Americunt.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
I am Citizenfive.
I, like many, will be keeping a watchful eye on it, but at the end of the day the Foundation is just one small group of people. There is already a group of prominent community members in a fledgling alt-foundation.

Additionally, and far more importantly: While there is not yet a universal replacement or alternative for QT (AFAIK), the existence of btcd makes writing one a lot simpler, and interestingly will probably become the community-preferred version, since bitcoind (on which QT is built) artificially limits Bitcoin quite a bit — many valid Tx types are not relayed by QT nodes and also not included in blocks  found by miners running a setup based on it. This is just because the devs haven't had time / bothered to test for bugs, so they're arbitrarily ignored. Limited time for things, and the top of their list wasn't adding this functionality back in.

The moment just one of the larger pools integrates btcd (which they'd be incentivized to do as soon as even a small percent of Txes start to use these features, or even before, in anticipation), that changes everything. And that will surely happen soon, so I'm immediately far less worried about any influences the Foundation has over Bitcoin as a whole. They may have a strong say in QT, but a major alternative negates the problem.

Decentralize ALL the things! Wink
Activity: 593
Merit: 505
Wherever I may roam
as long as they dont add ID verification into gavins QT program. the only ID bitcoin needs is the privkey to prove you own the specific public key in the bitcoin ledger.

now presuming nothing about this changes the bitcoin protocol. i see that although these two public faces have held employment in very expensive salaried jobs before and that the bitcoin foundation wil probably be paying them the same handsome large figures. i think that people with experience of politics can be useful (in the very narrowest of requirements) to ensure the otside media get their facts right and that other politicians learn what bitcoin really is about. basically removing the fud and speculation that is thrown around so much.

True! So bad the BF is basically a USBF..
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

Harper:

...and strengthen financial privacy for law-abiding consumers.

That pretty much implies identification of 'law-abiding' participants so it isn't difficult to see where this train is headed.

Weiss:

In addition to her White House job under the Clinton administration, Weiss also worked for the Recording Industry Association of America, the United Nations Foundation and the Better World Campaign.

I dunno how you feel about it, but I know how I do.  Confirmation of the direction that the Bitcoin Foundation is leading us.  Of course people will console themselves by trying to believe that the Bitcoin Foundation is meaningless and has no influence.  Sadly this is utter hog-wash.

Pages:
Jump to: