Pages:
Author

Topic: I don’t like the term “crypto” - page 5. (Read 680 times)

Activity: 1540
Merit: 564
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
April 24, 2024, 01:03:31 PM
To be blunt, nobody likes the term crypto but can we do something about it? No, we cannot do a thing about it and I have started using terms like Bitcoin and altcoins or sometimes crypto/Bitcoin. I guess now it inevitable as everyone addresses it as crypto and some of my friends use crypto as the first time even when they are referring to Bitcoin. There are certain other terms like NFT which I don't like for strange reason but we gotta live with it as it doesn't matter what we think Lol.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
Paldo.io 🤖
April 24, 2024, 12:48:02 PM
Not a fan of it either because cryptography aside, 'crypto' sounds so edgy like it's some sort of teenager counterculture thing. But yea what can we do — it's now pretty much a household word that it's too late to change. Even 'DeFi' and 'WEB3' didn't stick as much as 'crypto'.
Activity: 99
Merit: 57
April 24, 2024, 12:38:55 PM
Me neither, luckily people are starting to differentiate bitcoin from other crypto, that is a good start
Activity: 25
Merit: 18
April 24, 2024, 12:35:21 PM
BTC> I don’t like the term “crypto” …Not only because it distorts the field of cryptography, but it is also very much related to scam schemes, perpetrated by individuals who have 70% pre-mined coins, create pseudo-decentralized systems, and register trademarks, among other tactics…

The term ‘crypto’ brings to mind Schneier, B. (2015) ‘Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C. 20th Anniversary Edition.’ Indianapolis, Indiana: Wiley. in Chapter 1…”

A message is plaintext (sometimes called cleartext). The process of disguising a message in such a way as to hide its substance is encryption. An encrypted message is ciphertext. The process of turning ciphertext back into plaintext is decryption. This is all shown in Figure 1.1.

(If you want to follow the ISO 7498-2 standard, use the terms “encipher” and “decipher.” It seems that some cultures find the terms “encrypt” and “decrypt” offensive, as they refer to dead bodies.)

The art and science of keeping messages secure is cryptography, and it is practiced by cryptographers. Cryptanalysts are practitioners of cryptanalysis, the art and science of breaking ciphertext; that is, seeing through the disguise. The branch of mathematics encompassing both cryptography and cryptanalysis is cryptology and its practitioners are cryptologists. Modern cryptologists are generally trained in theoretical mathematics—they have to be.

That’s why my mantra is “Bitcoin NOT Crypto”..
BTC>
Pages:
Jump to: