Pages:
Author

Topic: I forced the 10 day high last night. What do you think about that? - page 2. (Read 3822 times)

legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
This is pure entertainment when people start jumping up and down like little girls because the bitcoin price goes up.

Next stop: Sobbing, bitching, whiny, confused stage.

"Why did the price fall?  Cry Cry Cry"

... because someone was smart enough to sell high.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Activity: 249
Merit: 114
Who is John Galt?
Unless you can prove it wasn't a total coincidence, you really can't claim to have had any effect. A couple of weeks ago, I bought 10,000 LTC and it had no effect on the market at all as far as I can tell -- and LTC is far less liquid than BTC.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
So even though the price has been drifting higher ever since the WordPress announcement, you seem to think that your 700btc purchase is the reason it went up during the past 24 hrs?

Don't overestimate your effect on the market Wink

Don't underestimate the effect a rogue 700BTC market buy.

I believe OP 100%!

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
OP TRANSLATION:" I peed and all the tides of the ocean changed because of my piss." Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Couldn't have said it better myself  Cheesy

But this very could have triggered a bot, which triggered a few other bots, which started the rally. Or it could have had no effect at all. Doesn't really matter because we don't have a time machine to compare the results.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
OP TRANSLATION:" I peed and all the tides of the ocean changed because of my piss." Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Give some credits when credits are due, guys! Otherwise who would be brave enough to start a rally next time? Wink
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
firstbits.com/1kznfw
A ten day high is nothing for bitcoin. Now, if you could buy up past the all-time high (about 32 usd/btc, less than 3x what it is at now), that would be something to talk about.

That would only cost $1,366,236. No big deal  Wink
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
The ask price is now 12.94.

You still buyin up?

Didn't think so

Tongue

Obviously not. My point is that maybe breaking a 10-day high provided psychological relief after the post-halving uncertainty, thus opening the floodgates for the subsequent buying volume.

A ten day high is nothing for bitcoin. Now, if you could buy up past the all-time high (about 32 usd/btc, less than 3x what it is at now), that would be something to talk about.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
Thanks for the post, i'm now sure i want to wait to invest

Smiley
Activity: 115
Merit: 10

You still buyin up?

Didn't think so

Tongue

Obviously not. My point is that maybe breaking a 10-day high provided psychological relief after the post-halving uncertainty, thus opening the floodgates for the subsequent buying volume.

Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

You still buyin up?

Didn't think so

Tongue
So even though the price has been drifting higher ever since the WordPress announcement, you seem to think that your 700btc purchase is the reason it went up during the past 24 hrs?

Well, I started buying at 12.66. So yes, it was the reason it went up to 12.75, and it only took seconds to do so. I'm not claiming anything else about the past 24 hours. But in particular, could the past 12 hours have been a result of this initial jump?

I realize that this kind of volume represents a drop in the ocean on Mt.Gox, but is the psychological effect of High/Low price not volume-independent?
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
Post again when you've got 70000 BTC.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Well 700 BTC are not enough, but in general if you are the first who kicks off a massiv buy or dump, you'll surely get followers. I think thats not happening too seldom on Mt. Gox. Very risky investment strategy^^
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Think you should post your CSV to prove it Smiley
I bought around 700 BTC at market price and drove the 10 day high to 12.75. I first had to sell BTC to get the money, and by the time I sold and bought, this market experiment cost me around 15 BTC in fees and personal losses. But... psychologically, it obviously had an effect on the market. By popping the 10 day plateau (and the 3 day post-halving uncertainty) I think it injected some short-term confidence in the market. When I wake up this morning I see a 12.93 high. Well, that wasn't me. But obviously it took off. And now we're around 12.85 and I've already covered my losses!

So surely this is a form of sentiment manipulation? I guess we cannot manipulate supply and demand, but we can manipulate emotions which drive them. Emotions are tightly wound around certain symbolic price points, so it would make sense that forcing the price above or below those price points (albeit artificially) could be a catalyst for real movement around those price points.

What do you think about this?

And what do you think would happen if we rally above 13.09?
Pages:
Jump to: