Pages:
Author

Topic: I found a collision. The hard part is proving it. - page 2. (Read 654 times)

legendary
Activity: 1140
Merit: 1000
The Real Jude Austin
I generated a random number between 1 and 1809251394333065553493296640760748560200586941860545380978205674086221273350 ...
It just drives me nucking futs that people think it's impossible.... 1 out of all the atoms in the known universe DOES NOT MEAN IMPOSSIBLE!

I guess you didn't read my post completely?

It depends on HOW you generated this number?
The most probable event that happend is that you have used a broken RNG which someone else also already used.
At least its way more probable than really finding a collision.

Yeah, but me randomly clicking next and deleting several numbers on the end of the URL kind of disproves that.

Even if I did use a weak PRNG, I altered the number heavily by randomly clicking next and removing several digits from the end of the URL while doing so.

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
I generated a random number between 1 and 1809251394333065553493296640760748560200586941860545380978205674086221273350 ...
It just drives me nucking futs that people think it's impossible.... 1 out of all the atoms in the known universe DOES NOT MEAN IMPOSSIBLE!

I guess you didn't read my post completely?

It depends on HOW you generated this number?
The most probable event that happend is that you have used a broken RNG which someone else also already used.
At least its way more probable than really finding a collision.
Activity: 183
Merit: 43
You mean you brutte-forced an > 0 address...
That's not a collision, that's just what it; brutte-force.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
When you make a very unlikely claim, it does mean you need solid proof. You're not the first, and I have no doubt others will make the same claim later. I'll treat it the way I treat any perpetuum mobile claim: proof or didn't happen.
legendary
The Real Jude Austin
I'm far too tired to quote everyone as I just landed in Melbourne from Brisbane and I worked all day.

How did I find the address?

I generated a random number between 1 and 1809251394333065553493296640760748560200586941860545380978205674086221273350 then I entered it in the URL for btckey.space

I then would click next a random amount of times then delete the last digit off the URL, rinse and repeat.

I setup btckey.space to throw a notification when an address with a balance is found, and it happened.

I then made a post to the directory.io with balances thread I started stating that I found an address. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.20157187

I also posted the page to my Pushbullet some days later, this happened in July of 2017. https://i.imgur.com/EqgXt72.png

I also posted to my FB groupchat: https://i.imgur.com/lf2PVAp.png

Someone had mentioned that I am part of LBC or Large Bitcoin Collider, if you look through my posts, I have been searching for an address collision WAY BEFORE LBC even existed.

I'm not a liar, I understand the odds: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.20242181

I just realized after reading through the FB groupchat that I posted the wrong address, the address I originally posted is not the one I found randomly.

Stand by while I locate the proper address, should have a balance of 0.00003941
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
The fact that I can't prove my findings is driving me nuts and making me look like a liar.

Here is the address: 1EJvrRrgEAtAHx2dfVUh1NBresW1CJ9RHP

To prove a collision (finding 2 private keys to 1 public key) you just have to provide both private keys.
This is probably not what you are talking about? Because that would mean you are the first person to break SHA256..

But if you are talking about address collision (2 people randomly generating a private key to the same address)..
thats not a collision in the mathematical/cryptography sense.

Your "Address collision" (if you aren't lying; im not implying you do.. but its just very unlikely) probably comes from a bad bad (really BAD!) Pseudo Random Number Generator.
May i ask how you computed the private key? Did you use a wallet (I hope you didn't.. because chances are very high that this wallet has a broken PRNG then)?
Or did you use a libary to create it? (In this case.. the RNG of the libary is broken and should be reported).

A few more information about HOW you generated that private key would be nice!
Activity: 369
Merit: 111
Since I could have owned this address prior to this thread, I could easily be lying.
The only way to prove an actually collision is by showing two different private keys that lead to the same address. Since there are many more private keys than addresses, it's much more likely to find a collision on a different key than on the same key.
(correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I remember it)

So then the only way is for the owner of that address to come forward and have an alternative private key for this address? If they both signed an identical message would it result in different signatures?
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Since I could have owned this address prior to this thread, I could easily be lying.
The only way to prove an actually collision is by showing two different private keys that lead to the same address. Since there are many more private keys than addresses, it's much more likely to find a collision on a different key than on the same key.
(correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I remember it)

At this point in time I am the only one who knows the truth, I found a collision.
Finding a collision is possible if the address wasn't randomly created.

I am looking forward to proving, not disproving, my claim.
I don't think that's possible.
Maybe you can start with explaining how you found the address?

It's the internet, so there's at least a one-in-a-million chance you're lying. And even at that low odds, it's still billions of times more likely than finding a collision with a truely random address.
legendary
The Real Jude Austin
I found a collision on btckey.space, now how do I prove it?

Let's start from the beginning, shall we.

I am one of those people who, when people tell me something is impossible or improbable, often prove them wrong. It almost becomes a game to me and I become relentless. I never deceive people or fake results to prove myself right, that's just dumb and would be cheating myself.

The fact that I can't prove my findings is driving me nuts and making me look like a liar.

Here is the address: 1EJvrRrgEAtAHx2dfVUh1NBresW1CJ9RHP

As you can see it has a small amount of funds.

I am asking anyone and everyone to chime in on how to prove that I found this collision.

I know what the odds are, and everyone keeps trying to prove me wrong with all kinds of math and theories, blah blah blah. At this point in time I am the only one who knows the truth, I found a collision.

So please, how can I prove that I found this address randomly? If you own this address, please PM me or post here and I can sign a message and you can and we can make some progress in proving this impossible feat.

I am looking forward to proving, not disproving, my claim.

Thanks,
Jude
Pages:
Jump to: