Pages:
Author

Topic: I got an idea: THROW AWAY THE BLOCKCHAIN - page 2. (Read 397 times)

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 16, 2017, 04:54:34 AM
Let us say a coin's blockchain is ridiculously huge or will be. Can the protocol have an implementation where some predetermined block will be the genesis block of a brand new blockchain?

Like say that for every 1,000,000 blocks, for example, the miners put all new trannies on hold for just a sec, then gather all the existing unspent outputs in the entire blockchain together and mine a humongous genesis block for a brand new blockchain. After that they keep mining blocks like normal on the new blockchain. You don't need the old blockchain anymore, you can just throw it away.
No. It doesn't work that easily. The whole point of blockchain is to have a ledger where its fully transparent. What if you throw away the blockchain at block height 1,000,000 but I made a purchase for a house at block 950,000? Who can prove that I paid? In addition, what would be in that 1,000,000 block? What if a miner with sufficient mining power attempts to attack the Blockchain and change block 1,000,000?
Better bite the bullet soon because i am hearing about some transactions that are taking days to complete but mine with Coinbase
only take a second because these coins are not in the block-chain and belong to a pool and logic says to me that they are all
counterfeit but this speed comes at a great cost in exchange rates and fees.
Is your coinbase transaction: verifiable? Transparent?
A miner can tally up all those balances, make them into genesis transactions to those same addresses, add a nonce to hit the appropriate target, mine it like normal (except for the size). Difficulty might have to be adjusted since they would be hashing a huge amount of data. Or they could maybe split it up and make many genesis blocks. Consensus would be a lot of work, but not that much. End result would be a brand new blockchain, same addresses, same balances. Don't even need the old blockchain, pruned or not.
It isn't that simple. The whole point of Blockchain is for everyone to see the transactions in the address. If you're removing it fully, then we're better off going back to the traditional banking system.

Difficulty doesn't have to be adjusted. Even if I were to be mining a 1MB block and another miner were to be mining a 1kb block, the difficulty of producing a block is the same. Miners are hashing the block header, not the transactions individually.
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 6080
Self-proclaimed Genius
December 15, 2017, 03:23:06 AM
This will not be called Cryptography at all.
Use what is available and adapt to it.

Bitcoin evolved from "everybody must be able to run the node" to a competition driven by economy.

@Anti-Cen:
The thing you said about bitcoin to altcoins same with the domains, that's just how it is and that how "money-driven" things progress.
Tell me, is there something wrong with it? People just brand things/happenings/actions: good or bad, we can't do much about it.

There are Google, Facebook and useful domains, in digital currencies these are equal to Bitcoin and *others.
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
December 14, 2017, 03:19:50 PM
Apparently there are about 25,000,000 bitcoin addresses that have a balance.

A miner can tally up all those balances, make them into genesis transactions to those same addresses, add a nonce to hit the appropriate target, mine it like normal (except for the size). Difficulty might have to be adjusted since they would be hashing a huge amount of data. Or they could maybe split it up and make many genesis blocks. Consensus would be a lot of work, but not that much. End result would be a brand new blockchain, same addresses, same balances. Don't even need the old blockchain, pruned or not.

I'm thinking though along the lines of an altcoin where that is scheduled in from the start, like every 100,000 blocks or something before it gets out of hand.
Activity: 210
Merit: 26
High fees = low BTC price
December 14, 2017, 03:01:22 PM
Alterntively, you could use the existing software to run a pruned node.

I must say the $95 does look cheap for the name and was i in this market then I think i would take you up on the deal

Years ago i was buying new domain names thinking I would get rich quick but only really managed to sell one that made me £400 profit to offset
the loss on my £1000 gamble and the reason was they kept bringing out more and more top level domain names.

Point is that's just what is happening with all these alt-tokens

Many people might not know this and just repeat what someone else has told them but if you scan google search results using 36,000 search's and then
scan these sites looking for new domain names that are not being held as parked domains and you also excluded all domains that do a 302 redirect to
another domain then you are left with a number of domains that are really being used and that number for the total in the world is around 2.5 million
even if we have a billion domain name registrations.

Activity: 210
Merit: 26
High fees = low BTC price
December 14, 2017, 02:45:52 PM
Maybe we are saying the same thing when i say they need to archive out all the old data and create a type of snap-shot of the leader

This will buy some breathing space and involve closing BTC down for a couple of days hopefully without crashing the price.

Better bite the bullet soon because i am hearing about some transactions that are taking days to complete but mine with Coinbase
only take a second because these coins are not in the block-chain and belong to a pool and logic says to me that they are all
counterfeit but this speed comes at a great cost in exchange rates and fees.

Longer term, using this breathing space i think they need to start again from scratch and maybe take some of what IOTA has done with
Tangle plus what has been learned so far and get back to free transactions and a system that will scale and keep away from having to
batch the job using Lightning network else things will get too complicated when they try to unwind BTC1/2  for a network that is head of the game.
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2472
https://JetCash.com
December 14, 2017, 02:40:01 PM
Alterntively, you could use the existing software to run a pruned node.
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
December 14, 2017, 02:18:53 PM
Ok tell me what you guys think about this:

Let us say a coin's blockchain is ridiculously huge or will be. Can the protocol have an implementation where some predetermined block will be the genesis block of a brand new blockchain?

Like say that for every 1,000,000 blocks, for example, the miners put all new trannies on hold for just a sec, then gather all the existing unspent outputs in the entire blockchain together and mine a humongous genesis block for a brand new blockchain. After that they keep mining blocks like normal on the new blockchain. You don't need the old blockchain anymore, you can just throw it away.
Pages:
Jump to: