Pages:
Author

Topic: I got hacked after downloading a file from https://multibitwallet.com - page 2. (Read 255 times)

legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

The usual conclusion is: if you are not qualified enough to take care of your PC, or if you simply have some coins and want to make sure you don't lose them due to stupid mistakes, just buy a hardware wallet. And of course, don't ever put that wallet's seed anywhere online.

PS. Metamask alos has its fair share of scams too nowadays.
Activity: 322
Merit: 251
malware website: https://multibitwallet.com/
ok so here's the scoop, i wanted to get a light wallet for bitcoin cause my bitcoinqt was unsynced for years. i remembered back in the day i used multibit for this. i downloaded without paying attention to the website or the news that the project was discontinued in 2019 or so.

after installing and allowing it through my firewall, i figured out that i fucked up and deleted everything i could find. scanned pc, neither malware bytes nor avast picked up anything wrong, windows wouldn't allow access to the app(user acount control didn't let me even uninstall it). after which i proceded to a party and left my pc unlocked, metamask unlocked, bitmex unlocked and phantom unlocked and my bitcoin qt connected to the external drive where i had a text file somewhere with the keys to restore my google auth. if they found this file and added my key to google auth, they could possibly have made the withdrawals from bitmex this way, otherwise my phone may be compromised as well.
today i pulled up my bitmex that was still loged in and found zero balance and also zero balance in phantom and metamask, except for the nfts which we could all agree are not even worth stealing. so i proceded to panic and hyperventilate and very, very slowly changing the passwords and 2fas to everything hopefully in the right order. pc unplugged from internet now.

gutted not gonna lie, probably should have just unplugged my pc from the internet and wipe the drive clean, but i had to get to a family event and well, it is what it is.
hacker address is:0x130bfbfd5674466b3aaf4ecd6a2681808177e177 i don't have the bitcoin adress(where he sent the bitcoin from bitmex) but i will as soon as i restore access to my bitmex account.
stay safe out there, i'm trying my best to get over it but it's a tough one.
cheers,
qumatru

l.e. i got access to my bitmex account back. there is no bitcoin address, he sold my btc and sent everything to the ethereum address. this has probably been the most costly mistake of my life(so far) and boy let me tell you, learning hurts like a motherfucker.
Pages:
Jump to: