Pages:
Author

Topic: I Hacked Bitcoin - page 3. (Read 4975 times)

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
May 13, 2013, 08:43:55 PM
Thanks for the info. I'd give you a small tip if I could find an address.

Trust me, I don't need the tip.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
May 13, 2013, 08:39:28 PM
Harder, since as soon as quantum computing becomes a semi-real threat, Bitcoin can & will switch to quantum resistant algos.

How exactly can Bitcoin just "switch algos"? I thought the algorithms weren't able to be changed.

Nope, the algos are modular; both on the blockchain hashing side (currently 2 cycles of SHA256) and the address keypair side.  The code includes "hooks" that would permit another hashing algo to run alongside (and eventually replace) SHA256.  I'd wager that another algo will be in use alongside SHA256 by 2020, as SHA-2 type algos are not particularly resistant to quantum computing.  Also, the protocol deliberately provides an upgrade path for bitcoin addresses.  That is why all current addresses start with a "1" character, as they are all address type number one.  (there is another address type used only for testing, that starts with an "a" I believe)  Future addresses could use different algos, or have other definitive features that make them incompatible with the current address format; which would call for a new addresss identifier, and thus that first character would be different.  There is already an early proposal to make an address type that would still use the same algo, but use a modified value variable to hold sub-satoshi value sets; as an example.

Wow, here I was thinking that I had a pretty good handle on Bitcoins. Though I still haven't read the whitepaper, and this is a little further on the technical side of things.

Thanks for the info. I'd give you a small tip if I could find an address.
legendary
May 13, 2013, 08:36:04 PM
Harder, since as soon as quantum computing becomes a semi-real threat, Bitcoin can & will switch to quantum resistant algos.

How exactly can Bitcoin just "switch algos"? I thought the algorithms weren't able to be changed.

Nope, the algos are modular; both on the blockchain hashing side (currently 2 cycles of SHA256) and the address keypair side.  The code includes "hooks" that would permit another hashing algo to run alongside (and eventually replace) SHA256.  I'd wager that another algo will be in use alongside SHA256 by 2020, as SHA-2 type algos are not particularly resistant to quantum computing.  Also, the protocol deliberately provides an upgrade path for bitcoin addresses.  That is why all current addresses start with a "1" character, as they are all address type number one.  (there is another address type used only for testing, that starts with an "a" I believe)  Future addresses could use different algos, or have other definitive features that make them incompatible with the current address format; which would call for a new addresss identifier, and thus that first character would be different.  There is already an early proposal to make an address type that would still use the same algo, but use a modified value variable to hold sub-satoshi value sets; as an example.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
May 13, 2013, 08:31:28 PM
I just hacked your account dude.

I am keeping your password the same so you can log in as the same person to acknowledge my hacking skillz.

If you want me to unhack your account send a donation to the address in my signature.
May 13, 2013, 08:12:18 PM

legendary
May 13, 2013, 08:07:38 PM
Activity: 196
Merit: 10
May 13, 2013, 08:03:17 PM
I wish I had access to a few billion quantum computers and a few million years so I could hack wallets too!

Is it really that hard?
Activity: 78
May 13, 2013, 08:02:02 PM
Can someone help me?

I've just imported all the keys to my account. Is there a way to undo all the coins that were sent out from these addresses?

Activity: 137
May 13, 2013, 08:00:52 PM
I wish I had access to a few billion quantum computers and a few million years so I could hack wallets too!
Activity: 78
May 13, 2013, 07:54:17 PM
I've donated 0.00001000 BTC. You'll get the rest after you've proved what you say...
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
CGWatcher & CGRemote
May 13, 2013, 07:51:12 PM
If he is just "cracking" brain wallets I have a bitaddress.org file that I modified to check wallet balances and activity, so you can check word lists or randomly generated addresses. When it finds a balance (or activity) it will notify you. It's javascript so not the fastest method, but it works and is all contained in one file. I modified it when someone on reddit posted a challenge to break in and steal 1 BTC from each of their 5 brain wallets that had weak passphrases. I found out about it the day before it ended and didn't end up getting into any of them.

I'll undercut IHackedBitcoin and sell it for the low, low price of a 8 BTC donation.  Wink

Act fast, supplies are limited.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
May 13, 2013, 07:47:10 PM
How about you sign a message with the private key of one of the top 10 bitcoin balances?

Then we might be inclined to believe you. But then again, if you have access to over 100,000 in BTC - why do you need us to do anything at all?
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
May 13, 2013, 07:43:54 PM
ok
Activity: 66
May 13, 2013, 07:43:38 PM
Can you crack anything else than vanity brain wallets?
May 13, 2013, 07:42:57 PM
Asking for 10BTC without any proof whatsoever? You have 2 posts and you registered yesterday.

Don't waste the forum's bandwidth, scammer.
Activity: 14
May 13, 2013, 07:42:15 PM
Maybe I'm missing something (and admittedly I may be) but what exactly does listing wallet addresses and private keys prove? I can create a bunch of wallets and list their addresses and private keys too.

That is why I asked him to post my private key. It is an address I do not care about. So, lets see if he can do it.
legendary
May 13, 2013, 07:41:37 PM
Maybe I'm missing something (and admittedly I may be) but what exactly does listing wallet addresses and private keys prove

It might just prove that there is a sucker born every minute, even on the bitcointalk.org forum.
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
CGWatcher & CGRemote
May 13, 2013, 07:39:38 PM
Maybe I'm missing something (and admittedly I may be) but what exactly does listing wallet addresses and private keys prove? I can create a bunch of wallets and list their addresses and private keys too. How do we know you didn't create those wallets? It's sort of a which came first, the chicken or the egg thing. If you are able to derive a private key from a wallet address, why are you only wallets that have had ~0.1 BTC or less in them? It seems more likely that you have created those wallets or are randomly generating addresses and then checking to see if they've had activity. In that case, you'll probably find that mining is more lucrative.

Also, if you have improved Nvidia mining by a factor of 3, write a Nvidia miner. There will be a line of people waiting to donate to you then.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
... it only gets better...
May 13, 2013, 07:38:21 PM
lol
Activity: 14
May 13, 2013, 07:37:01 PM
Lets see a proof of concept.
I give you full authorization to break into the wallet on my phone. Please post my private key.
Address 1BgnX3rwyK9DzJHSuYPw2Kv9Zn73RxGiZ8

If you want proof that it is mine. Just ask. I can take a pic with it up on my phone.
Pages:
Jump to: