Pages:
Author

Topic: I have a question about Bitcoin cold wallets - page 2. (Read 299 times)

copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
A lot of trezor software (perhaps all of it) is open source also and can be used on it's own without an official trezor (when I was looking at hardware wallets, this was a suggestion - that you could get your own printed or, I think, make a raspberry pi into one.

As said above, bip39 compliance is a standard and there are a lot of lightweight clients that can accept it (some web scripts can be downloaded too so you can get the keys out and import them into other software that isn't bip39 compliant).

legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
-snip-
But, what if, for whatever reason, the Trezor's APP stops working?  Either by court order, or server's problem... Whatever reason. I know this is almost impossible to happen, but I'm just curious. Can I use the 12 or 24 words to recover my BTCs in another cold wallet instead of Trezor? How does it work in this case?
Yes, Trezor's backup "Recovery Seed" is BIP39 compliant and will work with any client that supports BIP39 seed including its passphrase if you enabled it.
Activity: 1
Merit: 19
Hello guys. I've been studying BTC for a while, and I have a doubt about cold wallets.

I'm gonna use a Trezor wallet as an example. If I buy a Trezor, I'll send my BTCs to the Trezor's Desktop APP, then my BTCs will be secure on the blockchain.

But, what if, for whatever reason, the Trezor's APP stops working?  Either by court order, or server's problem... Whatever reason. I know this is almost impossible to happen, but I'm just curious. Can I use the 12 or 24 words to recover my BTCs in another cold wallet instead of Trezor? How does it work in this case?

Thanks in advance.
Pages:
Jump to: