Pages:
Author

Topic: I have been the most stupid cunt ever - computer related disaster inside - page 2. (Read 3642 times)

Activity: 91
Merit: 15
Well, I fucked up my PC for running it for 47 days without stopping (Well, I wasn't using it the whole 47 days but still)
The processor got fucked and the Fan eventually stopped working - the hard disk stopped responding like a million time in a min. but I managed to save my stuff and sell it (Almost 1/10 of the original cost) and bought a proper one.
I learned one things out of this, Never try to be smartass and watch youtube videos about how to make your PC survive longer, Ask someone who actually knows this shit.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
I've been mounting my own computers since I was a kid and for some reason instictively I thought I would be a better idea to only put a small amount of thermal paste in the middle of the CPU, then as the fan sits on the core the paste would spread. I've been doing it like this forever and never had problems. I dont get how they can put paste all over the socket like i've seen in some pics.

That's easy, by doing what I did and not fucking research it properly lol Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014
I've been mounting my own computers since I was a kid and for some reason instictively I thought I would be a better idea to only put a small amount of thermal paste in the middle of the CPU, then as the fan sits on the core the paste would spread. I've been doing it like this forever and never had problems. I dont get how they can put paste all over the socket like i've seen in some pics.
Activity: 172
Merit: 100
Sorry to read about your loss Lethn.
I know you were exited to get it build  Sad

When I think back, I'm pretty sure either during applying the thermal paste or when I was trying to fix my heatsink problem I did hear a spark so it probably was a short circuit that finally killed everything.

Just asking.. you were messing with the heatsink while the power was on the board?
If that was the case you might have shortcircuit the damn thing..

It wasn't on the board but the way I treated it clearly fucked things up, oh well, at least if I can get the old computer running things will be relatively back to normal and next time I'll be exceptionally careful.

Yep, it just sucks that with computers learning through these mistakes can often be very expensive lol.

ahh okay I was confused coz you spoke of a spark while you were messing with it...

true these are the lessons you'll never forget..just too bad we have to learn them the hard way most of the times  Wink
legendary
I know you were exited to get it build  Sad

When I think back, I'm pretty sure either during applying the thermal paste or when I was trying to fix my heatsink problem I did hear a spark so it probably was a short circuit that finally killed everything.

Just asking.. you were messing with the heatsink while the power was on the board?

It wasn't on the board but the way I treated it clearly fucked things up, oh well, at least if I can get the old computer running things will be relatively back to normal and next time I'll be exceptionally careful.

Yep, it just sucks that with computers learning through these mistakes can often be very expensive lol.
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
Sadly this is a vital part of learning...fucking things up.
Activity: 172
Merit: 100
I know you were exited to get it build  Sad

legendary
After getting out the old computer and even the old tower case it looks like to me that anything that was in my new computer short circuited because the computer refused to boot up when I finally put in the old HDD drive I use for my OS and this is just by process of elimination. So what I'll do is put in a HDD I had lying around which was also untouched by the thermal paste disaster and that should finally boot everything up so I'll have a computer again, I just need to go and get a stupid HDD tray because the one I have has no screws for it and the screws I do have don't fit properly.

What was very interesting was that the bloody motherboard and everything all fitted properly, so it just goes to show I bought the wrong case, I had originally bought it because my knowledge about components amounted to "Need more space for big graphics card" and I bought it without realising I could have probably gone for something cheaper and also something that fitted all my components a lot more snugly.

legendary
I have been the most stupid cunt ever...

No.  That would make you my ex-wife.   Cheesy

LOL! oooo Tongue Lets not bring the ex-wives into this thread lmao.
legendary
Activity: 942
Merit: 1026
I have been the most stupid cunt ever...

No.  That would make you my ex-wife.   Cheesy
legendary
I'm getting an outpouring of sympathy from the internet, this isn't normal Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1330
Warning: This is just me having a bit of a vent because I'm feeling extremely infuriated with myself right now

You know that fantastic gaming PC I built that was working great and let me do everything faster? I went and fucking ruined it, being the idiot that I am despite having carefully researched all the parts I needed I realised the stock heatsink was too loud I bought a heatsink fine, but I watched some twat on youtube put way too much thermal paste on and I assumed it would be fine ( not knowing of course that the thermal paste would already be on a new heatsink which I know know in hindsight ) and didn't check other videos which pretty much screamed at me about using only a pea sized amount. The stuff of course went all over the processor and bits of it on the motherboard, I tried cleaning it off with isoprophyl alcohol as much as I could but it was clearly a lost cause because there was just that much paste everywhere and because the processor had gotten stuck to the heatsink some of the pins were bent.

Thankfully I had the good sense to keep all my old parts etc. and hopefully I will be able to salvage my old computer and recover most of the stuff and be back to normal but FUCKING DAMNIT, perfectly good powerful computer gone down the drain!

I should fucking know better as well but let this be a warning to all of you thinking about building your own PCs, I'm sure you guys have had disasters like this right? I'm not alone right? Sad

Its good to vent now and again.I bet your pc wishes it could vent too.It could cool down and get angry with you at the same time.Expensive mistake but at least you wont spread the thermal paste like peanut butter the next time
legendary
At least that one's funny donseptico Cheesy lol Tongue I realise it wouldn't have been at the time, but yeah, I had never messed with processor before so of course I didn't know things like, the heatsink comes with thermal paste already applied and you should always take off thermal paste before applying new stuff.

Just an expensive learning experience really ;S

Oh and lauda it's a corsair modular so pretty solid and everything, I'm thinking a lot better now that I've recovered from the piss take of screwing up my PC lol.

Edit: Guys I wanted to ask what might be an obvious question to all of you, if I really have short circuited my computer is it possible that the tower case has been busted as well? I have the molex connector in properly now and the pins in the right way but nothing is happening, thinking of moving everything to a much older tower case.
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
Never done anything like that... honest  Roll Eyes

I think one of the biggest disasters was about 20 years ago... started a build, went to bed halfway through only for my brother to come home pissed and, somehow, mistake it for a lavatory  Shocked
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Well why not?
I have a CM Storm Stryker.

It's amazing and strong (steel build - heavy).

Somehow I doubt you go to many lan parties with that thing.  Grin
Well first off where I live there aren't really any nearby.
Secondly, even though with all parts in the case, it's in the 15-20kg range indeed. But, the case has a very good "handle" and carrying it with it is pretty easy.

Just thought I'd mention I think I've found out why my bloody tower case wasn't switching on and it was a classic of forgetting to check whether I had the molex connector plugged in, I had also not put it into the new modular PSU I had bought as a replacement.
Which one?
legendary
Just thought I'd mention I think I've found out why my bloody tower case wasn't switching on and it was a classic of forgetting to check whether I had the molex connector plugged in, I had also not put it into the new modular PSU I had bought as a replacement.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
sorry for your loss, takes me back 20 years when i did the same  Undecided
legendary
Merit: 1002
can always send me the parts and ill see what can be saved Grin
^.^
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
take some pics. the worst thing iv ever done to a pc was drop a cpu into the socket smashing all the pins. took me a week to straighten 100 or so pins (socket 1366) and thermal paste is hard to get wrong unless its conductive but then using that stuff your asking for trouble. a good normal thermal past dosnt matter where you get it as there non conductive for this very reason.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128
I prefer minimalist mATX designs these days, and yes it fits the humongous video cards of today.

Don't need a gazillion hard drives, and if you do you should have a file server anyway.
Pages:
Jump to: