Pages:
Author

Topic: I have LOTS of idle servers, should I mine? - page 2. (Read 3636 times)

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119
November 10, 2014, 12:41:49 AM
Some CPU coins used to be pretty good profits (PTS) and a few others. Then trade them crap coins into BTC
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
scams hunter!
November 10, 2014, 12:33:50 AM
i woul mine a bit with free servers
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
November 10, 2014, 12:32:13 AM
you can rent out those server and buy bitcoin with that money
it will better then mining bitcoin on those servers
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!
November 10, 2014, 12:14:57 AM
do as you please

if i had resources like that i would at least run nodes for coins i believe in and probably mine some cpu coins
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
November 10, 2014, 12:11:17 AM
Leave it idle. For every thousand dollars of energy extra used you will earn one cent worth of bitcoin and the denomination of bitcoin will be so small you wont be able to spend it. Regular computer mining bitcoin died a long time ago. Leave it alone.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
November 09, 2014, 11:52:23 PM
While looking for an answer to converting a batch of TP-Link devices back to standard OpenWrt, I came across bitcoins and have become a little curious. This is obviously something which will make more sense to the average person once you've started doing it, then learning things one step at a time. The basic information is one thing but the deeper understandings obviously take some hands on time.

That said... I have a bunch of IBM blade servers which for the most part sit idle all day long. They server up mysql, web sites, email, things which aren't all that resource intensive. The servers pretty much sit idle most of the time and could be used for something else.

One thing which has become confusing to me is that people talk about USB as if USB is the only way to mine. I'm sure I am wrong about this but that is the gist of how it sounds to be so far.

Anyhow, if that is not the case... here is what I have.

I have a number of 2xduo 3.0 blades with 16GB of RAM and 2xquad/4xquad servers each with 16GB to 32GB of RAM. I also have several older CUBIX 8 blade servers which are only 758Mhz/512MB ram which are used only as fail over backups for low usage stuff.

The server room is always on 24/7, the stuff is running no matter what, the A/C, the power, all of those costs are already there whether I do something more with the hardware or not.

Much of this stuff is pretty idle and could be used for?
Pages:
Jump to: