Pages:
Author

Topic: I have USD 2000 to invest. Should I buy Bitcoins or gold? - page 9. (Read 14398 times)

Q7
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Depends on what you are looking for. Bitcoin is known for high volatility and if you are a short term investor looking for quick gain, bitcoin can easily net you 10 to 20 percent in a matter of hours. If you are a long term investor either bitcoin or gold would be fine as there's a future in it. Just diversify your holding. It doesn't have to be all gold or all bitcoin. Spread out the risk.
Activity: 448
Changing avatars is currently not possible.
@OP: if it is play money then definitely BTC. Much better risk reward ratio at these current prices than gold. Do you also consider keeping $ as a third (best) option?

his investment universe seems pretty slim if his only 2 choices are bitcoin and gold Wink
uki
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
cryptojunk bag holder
@OP: if it is play money then definitely BTC. Much better risk reward ratio at these current prices than gold. Do you also consider keeping $ as a third (best) option?
Activity: 595
Merit: 101
Chromia - Relational Blockchain
Why not just buy $1,000 worth of gold, then do $1,000 worth of bitcoin, and which one grows faster lol.

But since you split 50/50 you can see which one scales in profit? so you wont lose entire $1,000 if bitcoin ever did crash cause you got gold to back you up.

I only say this because NO ONE can read the future.

That makes sense, if you lose on one the gains from the other might cover it.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002
Why not just buy $1,000 worth of gold, then do $1,000 worth of bitcoin, and which one grows faster lol.

But since you split 50/50 you can see which one scales in profit? so you wont lose entire $1,000 if bitcoin ever did crash cause you got gold to back you up.

I only say this because NO ONE can read the future.
legendary
Activity: 2101
Merit: 1061
A year ago I'd say buy gold. Now that bitcoin has more or less corrected from the last bubble, I'd go bitcoin.

ps Silver can go a lot higher than $50 an ounce as upside, dollars today have much less value than those 1980 ones.
legendary
Activity: 3514
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
Gold is a proven commodity, can't beat it as a storage of value. Bitcoin has a short history with violent up and down swings in value. At this time, I would take bitcoins over gold. Bitcoin has a huge upside potential this year; Gold has a huge downside potential this year. While I see no inverse relationship between bitcoins and gold, the way things are going, bitcoin price will definitely rise and gold price will fall.

I'm singularly curious as to the reason behind your prediction about future gold prices. The gold market price, as any other market price out there, is dictated by a supply and demand mechanism. So, what are the grounds for gold huge downside potential this year that you mention of? A fall in demand or a rise in supply?

What is your pick?
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Gold is a proven commodity, can't beat it as a storage of value. Bitcoin has a short history with violent up and down swings in value. At this time, I would take bitcoins over gold. Bitcoin has a huge upside potential this year; Gold has a huge downside potential this year. While I see no inverse relationship between bitcoins and gold, the way things are going, bitcoin price will definitely rise and gold price will fall.
legendary
Activity: 966
To me bitcoin seems as way more safe investment than gold Wink
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht

Gold has a real use, though. It's used in jewelry, in a lot of items like electronics, etc. I think assuming it won't go back up is a little naive. As long as it has a tangible use in our everyday lives, I think it still has a shot. There's only a finite amount of it, just like with bitcoins. Supply has to go down at some point.

Yup, but only a tiny fraction of the current value relates to its actual use. The rest is parking of value and speculation. It's far too entrenched in history to become an irrelevance in financial terms but it might be weakened slightly by alternatives.
legendary
Activity: 3514
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
Price of gold over time has increased insanely, and there is more and more gold each day @ the market, but also is something that everyone agrees it has value.
On the other hand you have bitcoin that is hard limited, and the mining bitcoin decreases with time, no matter how hard you try to get more, but not all people believe it has value.
As you can see, the question is; would you rather buy something that can go 10% up/down, or something that can go unlimited up/down ? There is no more profit to be made in gold, that cow is milked dry,imho.

Don't confuse paper gold with physical gold. The gold you make reference to is mostly gold futures contracts, among which the majority are cash-settled futures, that is, futures that cannot be settled by delivery of physical gold. The speculation of such futures significantly affects the price of gold, but only as long as exchanges trading in them are able to fulfill their obligations put by the physically settled gold futures...
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1007
Price of gold over time has increased insanely, and there is more and more gold each day @ the market, but also is something that everyone agrees it has value.
On the other hand you have bitcoin that is hard limited, and the mining bitcoin decreases with time, no matter how hard you try to get more, but not all people believe it has value.
As you can see, the question is; would you rather buy something that can go 10% up/down, or something that can go unlimited up/down ? There is no more profit to be made in gold, that cow is milked dry,imho.

cheers

Gold has a real use, though. It's used in jewelry, in a lot of items like electronics, etc. I think assuming it won't go back up is a little naive. As long as it has a tangible use in our everyday lives, I think it still has a shot. There's only a finite amount of it, just like with bitcoins. Supply has to go down at some point.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

cheers
Activity: 350
Honest 80s business!
Well I personally would prefer Bitcoin. They've got uncanny similarities, esp. in terms of scarcity. So in the long term they may perform in an equal manner (go up) but Bitcoin has a higher risk, but potentially also higher reward potential.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1031
I have USD 2000 to invest. Should I buy Bitcoins or gold?

what you  prefer can hold upto 1 year
gold!!
legendary
Activity: 1551
Merit: 1002
♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚&#
Buy and hold?
If you buy btc you could buy before a pump, 50% profit is easy
Activity: 521
Merit: 500
If you want to play extra safe, buy gold. If you want to take some risk with a potentially higher upside, go for BTC. You can also try trading with BTC and it can be immensely profitable due to the high volatility.
Activity: 280
Merit: 100
I'd park my money in Bitcoin for sure and then if there's a certain % you're saving for outside investing, then get yourself a property that generates rent. Properties for rent can typically generate 5-15% per year but in a good/great year, BTC runs the table on that. Properties are a headache since tenants are a problem and paying taxes as well.

I'd go for garages or storage units. You often have a much higher yield with a fraction of the ball ache. Any structure that houses humans equals a world of pain.

I'd think they would be somewhat cheap and efficient in terms of earnings. If someone doesn't pay their storage, you get all their stuff (or get to sell it). So you have income whether or not people pay their bills. Upkeep should be fairly cheap as well, since storage units don't need to be heated/air conditioned to the same standard as other businesses.

There is a little problem with selling the stuff of people that cannot pay the rent of their storage unit... why would someone who cannot pay the rent for his storage place have valuable items to store?
They might have something that is worth your time and effort.. but i can also imagine that there is just a lot of crap that you might have to get disposed of at your expense.
legendary
Activity: 1106
If me, I will invest to gold half and bitcoin half, sell all my bitcoin for halving time.
And gold for long term.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Gold is a better investment if you're in it for the long term. With bitcoin, I could only recommend short term as the price is everchanging. One day, you could see prices spike past 500, and the day after, you could be in for a loss. With this said, it is your choice.
Pages:
Jump to: