Pages:
Author

Topic: I hear often that mining is not worth it anymore for newcomers, is this true? - page 2. (Read 12002 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Well, I guess that my dreams of mining end here then Sad .

Thank you all very much for saving me from taking a bad decision.
Activity: 288
Merit: 250
I just discovered Bitcoins a short while ago, and I would like to able to mine a little too.

I am not thinking about farms, just to upgrade my PC and mine, and try to earn back the money from my investment and maybe get a little profit. Is this realistic right now, or truly I am too late to start mining?

No I don't think you are late. However, at this point you have to have good rig design + cheap electricity.

If your electricity is higher than 10c/kwh then definitely don't even bother mining. You'll probably want a rate around 6-7c/kwh.

You'll also have to do some research into which setup is able to convert electricity into hashes at a high efficiency. Also factoring in cost of equipment.

this is true if the current price of BTC holds ($15-16) but if the price moves up in response to scarcity resulting from higher difficulty, then BTC mining will be potentially as profitable as it has been up until now.  personally i believe btc are way undervalued.  but, if i am right, then it might be simpler at this time just to speculate by buying up btc.

How long have you been mining? for the millionth time, PRICE DOES NOT MOVE IN RESPONSE TO DIFFICULTY, the only thing that determines the price of BTC, is the people's demand for it.

Indeed, the last 2 jump's it didn't increase but even dropped.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
I just discovered Bitcoins a short while ago, and I would like to able to mine a little too.

I am not thinking about farms, just to upgrade my PC and mine, and try to earn back the money from my investment and maybe get a little profit. Is this realistic right now, or truly I am too late to start mining?

No I don't think you are late. However, at this point you have to have good rig design + cheap electricity.

If your electricity is higher than 10c/kwh then definitely don't even bother mining. You'll probably want a rate around 6-7c/kwh.

You'll also have to do some research into which setup is able to convert electricity into hashes at a high efficiency. Also factoring in cost of equipment.

this is true if the current price of BTC holds ($15-16) but if the price moves up in response to scarcity resulting from higher difficulty, then BTC mining will be potentially as profitable as it has been up until now.  personally i believe btc are way undervalued.  but, if i am right, then it might be simpler at this time just to speculate by buying up btc.

How long have you been mining? for the millionth time, PRICE DOES NOT MOVE IN RESPONSE TO DIFFICULTY, the only thing that determines the price of BTC, is the people's demand for it.
legendary
Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018
I've been mining for a while now, but am about to sell most of my hardware (6950s, etc).  Keeping the most efficient PC running as it has paid for itself.  The question for me in regards to whether or not to continue mining was that keeping $1200 of hardware pumping out $5 a day after costs didn't seem like a brilliant idea.  The hardware is likely to depreciate almost as fast as I'm making bitcoins.  Few gamers will care about a 6950 next year.  Counting on a bitcoin's value increasing some time in the future is risky.  Difficulty has increased over 100% in the last few weeks yet the price has actually fallen.

One of my dual 6950 PCs burns 300kWh per month.  Sure it's still profitable, but using so much power for so little return seems like such a waste of resources.

Cheap 6950s on eBay if anyone wants them :-)
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
Bottom line: I does worth it only if you have good equipment or unlimited free electricity...
Activity: 224
Merit: 10
To build a rig from scratch, you'll have to put down minimum $300 for peripherals (psu, mobo, ram, cpu, hdd) and then about $200-250 per 6950 (they net around 350mhash). So you're looking at an investment of $500 for 350mhash. That will produce a whopping .25 BTC per day right now. Assuming a steady difficulty and BTC price and free electricity, it would take 133 days to pay back your investment. And then you have price risk, and difficulty risk. In other words, if you want to play with BTC and don't already have the hardware, better to just buy them.
Activity: 464
well my plan is to upgrade and build using little to no money. I have seen plenty people getting in a hole then they realise the return is not as good as they expected due to mining downtime. hardware failure etc.

yes I could of made a lot more but I like to limit my risks. Mining is good as long as you don't expect the return to pay for xyz. for any new miners I would say start small and expand for there and don't be greedy. I have seen plenty of people here mass buy then they are not able to make as much as they thought.

Or do not think of how damm hot your house gets when you have 4+ gpu's blowing out 90c around the house etc.

so is mining worth it YES. as long as you consider the above.

Activity: 266

this is true if the current price of BTC holds ($15-16) but if the price moves up in response to scarcity resulting from higher difficulty, then BTC mining will be potentially as profitable as it has been up until now.  personally i believe btc are way undervalued.  but, if i am right, then it might be simpler at this time just to speculate by buying up btc.
There won't be any "scarcity". The supply of bitcoins is almost constant.
Activity: 288
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I have to pay 15 cents for power, that means its not worth it? Sad

I planned to buy 2 cards hd 6970 and this calculator (http://98.200.247.249:81/btc_calc.php) shows that I might be able to still make some profit, even get the return of my investment in 100 days.
The current difficulty
The estimated difficulty change
And since there's a difficulty change every ~12 days, it will be a lot longer then 100 days. That calculator only uses the current difficulty and the estimated difficulty and uses it in the calculations like it will be the same estimate every time. Currently it's around 15% increase, but we've had enough 50-60% increases before.
Activity: 530
Merit: 500
Its buying time now.

So yeah for begninners its not an ideal time to start mining.
Buy when they are low and start mining when they are high (or/and the difficuly drops).

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I have to pay 15 cents for power, that means its not worth it? Sad

I planned to buy 2 cards hd 6970 and this calculator (http://98.200.247.249:81/btc_calc.php) shows that I might be able to still make some profit, even get the return of my investment in 100 days.
Activity: 70

this is true if the current price of BTC holds ($15-16) but if the price moves up in response to scarcity resulting from higher difficulty, then BTC mining will be potentially as profitable as it has been up until now.  personally i believe btc are way undervalued.  but, if i am right, then it might be simpler at this time just to speculate by buying up btc.
Activity: 84

Pages:
Jump to: