Pages:
Author

Topic: I just donated to Wikipedia. Using Bitcoin. - page 2. (Read 1729 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078
I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.
I somehow missed the news that Wikipedia now accepts bitcoin donations.

It's hidden in there in "other ways to donate" and apparently they got 140k (in dollars) worth of BTC just on the first week they started accepting it.

Can you provide a link to that stat about how much they received.  140K in USD is not insignificant.

first link on a search right here http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wikimedia+bitcoin+donation

it's also posted in the general forum i believe.

Hey asshole, lmgtfy was cool 2009.  If you don't have a link to the info you can stfu.  Thx.

don't know about that, but I found this

Cool, thanks.  11K isn't quite 140K but it's still not insignificant.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150
Freedom&Honor

It's hidden in there in "other ways to donate" and apparently they got 140k (in dollars) worth of BTC just on the first week they started accepting it.

Can you provide a link to that stat about how much they received.  140K in USD is not insignificant.

first link on a search right here http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wikimedia+bitcoin+donation

Hey asshole, lmgtfy was cool 2009.  If you don't have a link to the info you can stfu.  Thx.

don't know about that, but I found this

legendary

Can you provide a link to that stat about how much they received.  140K in USD is not insignificant.

Hey asshole, lmgtfy was cool 2009.  If you don't have a link to the info you can stfu.  Thx.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Can you provide a link to that stat about how much they received.  140K in USD is not insignificant.

legendary

legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150
Freedom&Honor
This is really very good news for Bitcoin community.
Wikipedia finally recognize Bitcoin as great way to raise more money for their work.
I hope others will follow soon.

it's good they accept bitcoin and all

but it's bad they're probably selling it

so we have 140 000$ of bitcoins dumped on an exchange in 7 days from Wikipedia
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
This is really very good news for Bitcoin community.
Wikipedia finally recognize Bitcoin as great way to raise more money for their work.
I hope others will follow soon.
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
wikipedia = world's 2nd most popular website

good news Cool
so, what services does wikimedia use? we should get those guys to accept bitcoin, so then they don't have to cash the coins out.
Activity: 448
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
they raised something like $150k in bitcoins in.. about 1 day right? there were probably so many people who wanted to donate in btc, and finally when wikipedia does accept it, it floods in.

About 7 days. Yeah, volume already went down, still impressive numbers. For that specific week, it was ~20% of all donations!
they raised something like $150k in bitcoins in.. about 1 day right? there were probably so many people who wanted to donate in btc, and finally when wikipedia does accept it, it floods in.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
The problem is wiki is going to sell those bitcoin and push down the market...

The volume would be insufficient to do this, unless by "push down" you mean "weakly nudge."
i just read news about Wikipedia received lot of donations in BTC...

Happy to see this.

Yes, those news made mainstream newssites. So very good for bitcoin, and it sends the right signs!
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1012
i just read news about Wikipedia received lot of donations in BTC...

Happy to see this.
Activity: 280
Relax!
It's great that they're accepting it and great for adoption, but I think i'll keep my coins as I don't think wiki needs them.

What, but why? So I guess you're using Wikipedia often, right? And you say you love the site! Why do you think that they won't need you money? Isn't it a great thing to contribute to something you like?
Activity: 165
Merit: 100
It's great that they're accepting it and great for adoption, but I think i'll keep my coins as I don't think wiki needs them.
Activity: 280
Relax!

Awesome! Yeah I think I'll just go and donate myself, as well! Wikipedia is doing a great thing on all those Ragga singers, listing their music and I sometimes click through their site for hours looking for new music and getting to know the stories behind the artists... Great site!
Can someone post a link to this information? Is there a Wikipedia announcement about it somewhere?

You can find 100s of news and announcements about it

e.g. http://time.com/3059325/wikimedia-wikipedia-bitcoin-donations/
Activity: 126
Can someone post a link to this information? Is there a Wikipedia announcement about it somewhere?

Activity: 411
Good for you. They really need donations, although wikipedia is generally not a reliable source.
Pages:
Jump to: