Pages:
Author

Topic: I only barely found out about Bitcoin- What else do I not know about? - page 2. (Read 3922 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
ZFS file system. It uses a merkele tree, similar to Bitcoin's block chain, to verify the integrity of all the data written to the disks top to bottom, thus preventing any issues with partial writes, accidental writes, bit rot (bits just getting naturally demagnetized), etc. It also doesn't use partitions, writing to the whole disk as a very low level, using space from the very first to the very last bit, and thanks to integrity checks, doesn't get damaged from bad sectors (you won't even know they are there). Thanks to these features, you can put together a RAID array made of crappy old drives, and your data will still be bulletproof.
Activity: 711
Merit: 500
Fight fire with photos.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
OpenBTS / OpenBSC

wolframalpha.com

Tor hidden services

Matlab

Bitcoin Armory Client

VirtualBox/VMWare

RFID readers/writers (eg. Proxmark)

khan academy, coursera, edx, ocw, udacity, uo people\

+ those previously posted
Activity: 728
If you want really awesome dreams try Alpha Brain by Onnit.http://www.onnit.com/alphabrain/
(use code: ROGAN to get %10 off.)
legendary
Activity: 504
microsoft security essentials...free antivirusif your windows is legit
logmein.com...the free version!
legendary
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs

Also, if you want to expand into the real world a bit, look into arduino and 3D printing.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
100%
You do not know about me and my secret masterplan, yet.

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Interesting tools, I'm enjoying Ninite.

Don't forget to check out DNSCrypt, great to prevent your ISP to see and mess with your DNS queries.
Activity: 183
Merit: 100
mullvad.net encrypted vpn, mullvadd do not retain any logs.
pay with btc.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.
VPN

Allows you to tunnel your traffic through a remote server, encrypted.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
I discovered Bitcoin in May 2011 by seeing a post on Reddit with only 88 upvotes. I only barely came across it and if I hadn't, in all likelihood, I still wouldn't have heard about Bitcoin. Bitcoin caused me to learn about and use TrueCrypt, Tor, and PGP(GPG). But it almost never happened! So that has me worried: What other technologies should I really be aware of and using that I am not using (or that most people are not using)?

Here are the big ones I know about so far:

Bittorrent - Fast peer to peer file distribution
Bitcoin
IRC - Old chat protocol still used
GPG - Message encryption, doesn't rely on any third parties
SSH - Encrypted TCP connections & tunnels between you and a server
TrueCrypt - Easy full-disk encryption and file-container encryption for Windows
Tor - Anonymous TCP connections and connections to hidden-services

I suppose that TrueCrypt is not a protocol but rather a tool, and if we are including tools on this list, then it gets much bigger. But that's Okay! What are your invaluable protocols and tools and what do they do?

EDIT: added links and descriptions per request

good list.

is there anything as simple and easy to use as "Teamviewer" but which doesn't rely on a centralized company (that can possibly snoop)?

something 2 individuals can more easily verify as being private communication.

crossloop, google it.

i've only taken a brief look so far but my first thought is "how is that any different to teamviewer?" seems you're just asking for crossloop to spy on you instead of teamviewer... both are closed source, flashy website companies.

anyway thanks, will take a closer look and compare.
http://ninite.com/

for those of us in the IT world... Grin
I discovered Bitcoin in May 2011 by seeing a post on Reddit with only 88 upvotes. I only barely came across it and if I hadn't, in all likelihood, I still wouldn't have heard about Bitcoin. Bitcoin caused me to learn about and use TrueCrypt, Tor, and PGP(GPG). But it almost never happened! So that has me worried: What other technologies should I really be aware of and using that I am not using (or that most people are not using)?

Here are the big ones I know about so far:

Bittorrent - Fast peer to peer file distribution
Bitcoin
IRC - Old chat protocol still used
GPG - Message encryption, doesn't rely on any third parties
SSH - Encrypted TCP connections & tunnels between you and a server
TrueCrypt - Easy full-disk encryption and file-container encryption for Windows
Tor - Anonymous TCP connections and connections to hidden-services

I suppose that TrueCrypt is not a protocol but rather a tool, and if we are including tools on this list, then it gets much bigger. But that's Okay! What are your invaluable protocols and tools and what do they do?

EDIT: added links and descriptions per request

good list.

is there anything as simple and easy to use as "Teamviewer" but which doesn't rely on a centralized company (that can possibly snoop)?

something 2 individuals can more easily verify as being private communication.

crossloop, google it.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
perhaps people reading this thread might be interested to know about howtovanish.com if they have never heard of it.

it's worth a brief look over anyway.
Activity: 711
Fight fire with photos.
This is a cool thread. I always feel like I'm in the same position as Atheros. It inspired me to write a blog entry on some of the things I had found (and like him, it was due to Bitcoin). When I posted the article to see what people thought, I got enough suggestions for a part 2, which I still haven't written. Also, check out this article in PC World. The PirateBox is really fun to build, and is my latest obsession.
Pages:
Jump to: