Pages:
Author

Topic: I should buy a boat - page 2. (Read 2284 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
March 19, 2015, 11:36:00 AM
Safest place to be in collapse of society? A government bunker.
Least safe? Major city. But it's revolution that's coming, not apocalypse.

Although it will feel like an apocalypse for the capitalist elite. Those people are very good at making you feel what they feel, making their political interests into your political interests, dear reader.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
March 19, 2015, 11:02:34 AM
Why you just don't buy a house in a woods?
Alaska, New Zealand...

Why not some place that's already at the bottom of an apocalypse?  Maybe it could only go up?

Argentina?
Activity: 742
Merit: 526
March 19, 2015, 08:45:14 AM
I don't think there is any relation between the two.  Boats do not represent "freedom."  If an economic apocalypse occurred, do you think you would be safe on your little boat?  You'd set into harbor and find an entirely new sort of harbor master staring at you, surrounded by his little gang of thieves.   Depending on how and what you paid him, he might even let you keep your boat.

He wouldn't be safe even in the open sea in case some apocalypse should occur. To survive there you would need something like The Last Ship with a crew of marines to help you. Otherwise it will be a one-way cruise on a lethal mission.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
March 19, 2015, 08:12:19 AM

This is a post for other people who have contemplated the subject

Most people, especially on this forum, believe the government won't be able to kick the fiat can down the road much further, and sometime within the near future, or a couple years down the road, something like the great depression, or worse, will be repeated on a global scale.  The question is, where do you want to be when this happens? ......
Separate this speculation from your interests in boats.

I don't think there is any relation between the two.  Boats do not represent "freedom."  If an economic apocalypse occurred, do you think you would be safe on your little boat?  You'd set into harbor and find an entirely new sort of harbor master staring at you, surrounded by his little gang of thieves.   Depending on how and what you paid him, he might even let you keep your boat.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Bitcoin > Dollar
March 19, 2015, 03:31:24 AM
Why you just don't buy a house in a woods?
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
March 19, 2015, 01:01:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpKbULrB9Z8
In a futuristic world where the polar ice caps have melted and made Earth a liquid planet...
legendary
Activity: 1260
March 19, 2015, 12:29:28 AM
Interesting stuff r0ach. Will love to see how you get along with this.

Unfortunately, there's no Bitcoin Island to go to yet.  If I had to nominate a place, I would probably go with Tahiti myself.  I guess Roger Ver could buy "Sealand" and turn it into Bitcoin island.  Sailing the North Sea isn't that fun though.  I believe that's where the last part of this video is supposed to be at 1:04, which is probably the scariest thing you will ever see in your life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axW2XUhrjbo

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057
bigtimespaghetti.com
March 18, 2015, 03:59:11 AM
Interesting stuff r0ach. Will love to see how you get along with this.
legendary
Activity: 1260
March 18, 2015, 01:30:30 AM

This is a post for other people who have contemplated the subject

Most people, especially on this forum, believe the government won't be able to kick the fiat can down the road much further, and sometime within the near future, or a couple years down the road, something like the great depression, or worse, will be repeated on a global scale.  The question is, where do you want to be when this happens?  Examples of what things will be like on land can be seen in Argentina or Bosnian/Serbian history.  The pigeons started to disappear in Bosnia because people were eating them all.

A big factor in this decision would be, would you rather eat pigeons or fish?  As for which environment is more dangerous, the sea has always been dangerous, but land will likely be much more so.  Getting away from large population centers is obviously the best option.  I've lived in areas where hurricanes knocked out power for a month straight, so I kind of have an idea how things will proceed when a modern society devolves in this fashion.  

It's unknown whether there would be power in a prolonged financial collapse, the only thing really certain is an attempted military dictatorship that may or may not succeed, and may or may not keep the power on.  When I lived in an area of America that lost power from hurricanes for a month, it really gives you a lot of perspective.  There's not much to do in a situation like that except read, drink, play cards, and random physical activities that most people don't do, because they're tired from the inside of their house being 90 degrees, or it might be the opposite and be cold all the time depending on location.

Regardless, with boredom as one of the prime motivators, you start to see groups of people out and around together in the open, like it was the 1980's again, when people actually went outside.  In a prolonged financial collapse, these groups of people will probably end up fighting each other for resources in some kind of tribal warfare.  There's not enough pigeons for everyone to eat in densely packed areas, or even most small towns.

edit:  Think I'm removing the section about giving any advice on particular boats since some people can sail a bathtub across the Atlantic, and others can sink the Titantic one mile offshore.  I do have a decent amount of knowledge on what you're least likely to die in, so if you want to know that, just ask I guess.
Pages:
Jump to: