Pages:
Author

Topic: I think I was just robbed (edit... I wasn't robbed. Victim of my own ignorance) - page 2. (Read 2384 times)

Activity: 938
Merit: 500
https://youengine.io/
you did this with a copy of the same wallet dat. The old client on windows with the old copy of the wallet file just did not yet notice that you had moved BTC around with the copy of the same wallet file on the Ubuntu machine.

Rescan the wallet on the Windows machine and everything will be ok again.

Moving wallet files between different clients always leads to these kinds of confusions. After that you need to run it with -rescan to bring the seemingly wrong wallet in sync with the new reality again.
Activity: 322
Merit: 252
Yeah there are coins in the addresses you've posted.  I suggest using the blockchain explorer in the future.  We have enough panicked "I've lost all my BTC/Money" threads on this board already.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008
CEO of IOHK
I created a lecture in my course to discuss backing up your wallet without losing your money:

https://www.udemy.com/bitcoin-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-crypto/

I'd recommend checking it out. Backing up your wallet shouldn't be hard.
legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
When you send BTC the remainder goes to a new address. The wallet holds upto ~100 addresses for transactions. Perhaps you're just reading it wrong.

bitcoinminer's reply looks clear enough.

^^ I really hope this is what it is.

I'd much rather be a stupid noob, than a broke stupid noob.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
It looks like the balance is indeed in your offline wallet.
legendary
The rapid timing would suggest a key-logger was just waiting for you to enter your passphase.

How long had it been since you last unlocked that wallet?

This was the first time I had unlocked the wallet on Ubuntu.  The thing is, I haven't browsed with that install at all.  The only way it could have an infection is if the bitcoin install I used had an infected source.

Was that not the official repository? (bitcoin/bitcoin)
Activity: 531
Merit: 260
Vires in Numeris
When you send BTC the remainder goes to a new address. The wallet holds upto ~100 addresses for transactions. Perhaps you're just reading it wrong.

bitcoinminer's reply looks clear enough.
Are you saying I'm just reading it wrong and my second send to my offline wallet was legit?

I can hardly type this as my hands are shaking so bad.

https://blockchain.info/address/1NMjGzpJxAseMJ7cng3yCuYtL2XZgjpeK9
Activity: 453
Merit: 250
The rapid timing would suggest a key-logger was just waiting for you to enter your passphase.

How long had it been since you last unlocked that wallet?
legendary
sorry, bitaddress.org not btcaddress.org
legendary
Are you saying I'm just reading it wrong and my second send to my offline wallet was legit?

I can hardly type this as my hands are shaking so bad.
Activity: 531
Merit: 260
Vires in Numeris
btcaddress.org leads to a default looking GoDaddy address. Sounds like user error.

If you want a new wallet, perhaps just move the existing one and bitcoin-qt will create a new one.

Also, windows.. when you have Ubuntu to hand.. replace user.
legendary
Please tell me it isn't so, and if it is, please tell me what I did wrong, how this could have bee avoided.

1) I saved an offline version of btcaddress.org to generate an offline wallet.
2) I created a linux pen drive boot stick and installed ubuntu to my computer as a dual boot.
3) I installed bitcoin via the following method: (http://www.distrogeeks.com/install-bitcoin-qt-ubuntu/)
4) I copied my wallet.dat to my ubuntu partition (mounted the windows partition)
5) I attempted to perform a .1 btc transfer to my offline address 17JyyT1V4XzQoJ8Y6vHvXSEe9YLrSLbCzv
6) logged back over to windows to check the status and noticed that my original address had been drained (19YNvp4fxQWonc7NVjzA2QEzFy9MsBkUSE )
7) I quickly logged back over to ubuntu to attempt a double spend (in the hopes that it would invalidate the initial transaction. (not sure if this was a valid thing to try or not)

Am I hosed?  What happened?

edit... it's worse than I thought.  They drained my other address to. (1NMjGzpJxAseMJ7cng3yCuYtL2XZgjpeK9)

FML
Pages:
Jump to: