Pages:
Author

Topic: I think it's time for me to move on - page 2. (Read 5495 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
April 30, 2013, 10:42:20 AM
Here's the thing - I really like bitcoin.  Every time I actually use the system, I'm instantly reminded of why I thought this thing was so cool in the first place.  In a way, I've become a victim of my own trolling, just as some of you have suggested.  Here's my story.

I found out about bitcoin in late February/early March 2011.  A few weeks after investigating the idea I decided to start mining.  My decision to mine instead of buy outright was motivated by the fact that I was in the market for a new gaming PC anyway, and so mining was a sort of hedge against the market working against me.  I turned my machine off a few months after the 2011 crash.  I also bought a fair number of bitcoins before May 2011.

I was enthusiastic about bitcoin and new to markets and trading.  The 2011 crash was depressing and it changed me.  This, despite that I was lucky to more than double the number of bitcoins I mined and bought before the crash.  The project began to look like the sort of thing that was being torn apart inside an out.  I became a vicious troll, because, in a perverse way, I wanted to help what seemed like the project's inevitable end.

At some point my awful trollishness became too much and I issued an apology for my tone, but not my content.  I trolled on, just with less vitriol.  As the project recovered I began to fight with myself.  My trollish character had sort of developed a mind of its own, even as I began to appreciate bitcoin's innovation and value again.  I developed a sense of obligation to the community to post as Proudhon The Toll because of a community expectation and, in a way, to balance out over-zealousness with the same thing in the other direction.

When I switched gears and began posting bullishly not long after this most recent crash I was playing to the joke that I had become a sort of contrary indicator.  "Playing" the character of a more even-headed optimist made me realize that, well, that's not really a character, because I am actually optimistic about bitcoin, even if cautiously.

This is sort of a good-bye to the speculation forum, though I might stick around and respond here for a little while.  I intend to spend more time discussing bitcoin, and cryptocurrency in general, in political/economic/and philosophical contexts, and so you'll find me posting on bitcointalk.org and other places in areas more suitable for those sorts of discussions.  It's been extremely educational, depressing, exciting, frustrating, and fun around here.  I think I've ultimately learned what I needed to learn from the speculation forum - I'm not a bitcoin trader, I'm an investor and a user.  And yes, my paper wallets are safe and sound.

Haha I always said you were invested in Bitcoin and probably had massive amounts, otherwise I couldn't imagine you being so bearish all the time and sticking around to remind us how much its all going to pop away.

Its nice to be right about something once in a while. Smiley
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
April 30, 2013, 09:49:11 AM
Happy to meat the new Proudhon.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
April 30, 2013, 09:41:02 AM
Nice move, speculation is a waste of time. The only thing I think valuable in speculation is risk management
legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003
VIS ET LIBERTAS
legendary
Activity: 2101
Merit: 1061
April 30, 2013, 07:12:54 AM
So long and thanks for all the fish
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
April 30, 2013, 06:50:15 AM
And BTW: I always knew you are heavily invested in BTC. You like to play the "contrarian indicator": if you are wrong, you get rich; if you are right... Well, you are right Wink

You're just hedging in some sort of psychologically twisted way Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
April 30, 2013, 06:47:57 AM
Proudhon, you are too intelligent to get depressed over a crash. BTC is very prone to bubbles and crashes, as all commodity-like assets - this is even more true when the market is so ridiculously tiny. At the end, a crash is just an opportunity to invest in BTC, I really don't see the point in being depressed about them. There's still a long run before BTC definitely fails or wins.

Bitcoin is an exceptional idea, it empowers people, it gives freedom, it endangers the position of the filthiest scumbags on heart (financial corporations) - just work to strengthen BTC's economy and forget about the exchange rate and speculation.
legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003
VIS ET LIBERTAS
April 30, 2013, 06:44:49 AM
They say that when the last bear turn bull, a crash is imminent.
wise Wink
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
One bitcoin to rule them all!
April 30, 2013, 06:34:45 AM
They say that when the last bear turn bull, a crash is imminent.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000
Enabling the maximal migration
April 30, 2013, 06:28:45 AM

Kudos for having the balls to make a post like this.

And welcome back to the light good sir.
legendary
Activity: 2212
April 30, 2013, 06:18:08 AM
bears are always IN the forest, so they can never actually leave the forest.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
April 30, 2013, 06:14:27 AM
1. Anyone that needs to announce their leaving or coming is an attention whore. MNW yes you are this way too.

2. Your trolling, in my view, wasn't trolling at all. I honestly think you believed many of the things you posted (the bearish BS).

3. Thanks for the 1 BTC when Bitcoin hit $100 (see I can be nice) lol

4. Get over yourself.

Tongue

Something about pots and kettles...  Huh

LOL I figured this was coming.

Where do you see a thread where I am posting about me coming or going or ARRIVING or DEPARTING and all the details about my self developing into a better person blah blah blah?

LOL Smoothie I don't think you need to make posts about your arriving or departing, people will know when you turn up and you won't leave until you've had the last troll...

For the record I voted 'I like smoothie' in nkspace poll  Smiley

Kiss muahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Activity: 898
April 30, 2013, 06:11:29 AM
1. Anyone that needs to announce their leaving or coming is an attention whore. MNW yes you are this way too.

2. Your trolling, in my view, wasn't trolling at all. I honestly think you believed many of the things you posted (the bearish BS).

4. Get over yourself.

Tongue

Where do you see a thread where I am posting about me coming or going or ARRIVING or DEPARTING and all the details about my self developing into a better person blah blah blah?

LOL Smoothie I don't think you need to make posts about your arriving or departing, people will know when you turn up and you won't leave until you've had the last troll...

For the record I voted 'I like smoothie' in nkspace poll  Smiley
Activity: 238
In Gord We Trust
April 30, 2013, 06:11:19 AM
A Paraphrase

Dear Forum,

I am leaving the living room going to go out onto the garden and converse with your cousins for a while.

Love,

Proudhon

Spec Forum Response

legendary
April 30, 2013, 06:05:43 AM

4. Get over yourself.

Tongue

legendary
Activity: 2212
April 30, 2013, 06:04:46 AM
NO! proud, don't go! i love you, even though you have been so cynical about bitcoin over the past couple years i feel that you are an asset to the community and really look forward to meeting you at bitcoin-con '13 and we can reminisc about all the bearish times we've shared together!
Activity: 898
April 30, 2013, 06:02:32 AM

4. Get over yourself.

Tongue

Something about pots and kettles...  Huh

Proudhon, thanks for the entertainment you've provided - I will be looking out for your posts elsewhere on the forum  Smiley
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
April 30, 2013, 05:53:15 AM

Perfect, just perfect Cheesy

Cya around bud Smiley
Activity: 204
April 30, 2013, 05:52:01 AM
Farewell Proudhon, you magnificent troll Smiley
legendary
April 30, 2013, 05:38:53 AM

4. Get over yourself.

Tongue
Pages:
Jump to: