Pages:
Author

Topic: I want to actually mine Bitcoin (SHA256) on modern GPUs - page 2. (Read 666 times)

legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
The probability of a CPU ever finding a block is so small that it would be a waste of electricity since it wouldn't help secure the network.
Chances are pointless at that level.
I was told the same thing with USB mining and how much money I wasted on little USB sticks but here I am.  Tongue
Very true and against truly astronomically high odds you hit a block.  Grin
That said, while using cpu/gpu *is* technically possible the much lower hash rate is several magnitudes lower that of a Compac-F and that much higher against ever finding a block in ones lifetime using them. But yes- it IS technically possible.

To me the main point is just get a Compac-F or the new R909 pod und forget about doing it with a cpu/gpu just because you can. Either way is very simple plug & play. Aside from an academic exercise to prove the code works and can actually mine to a node I don't see the point.
Activity: 562
Merit: 139
The probability of a CPU ever finding a block is so small that it would be a waste of electricity since it wouldn't help secure the network.

I was told the same thing with USB mining and how much money I wasted on little USB sticks but here I am.  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Regardless of what a waste as someone may say it is.... I say go for it!

I was told I was nuts for building a USB miner farm and looked how that turned out.

Whatever happened to 1 CPU 1 vote?
It's dead coz with 1 CPU 1 vote, you get 1 100TH/s miner is literally 3333333 votes
And the network is then a total of 8433333333249 votes
So your 1 vote counts for nothing and is unlikely to ever count for anything ever again.

Meanwhile all those people complaining about the power cost to run the BTC network get a beyond ridiculously good argument pointing out that it would take 8433333333249 CPU cores to do the current network with CPU power and that would be more power than available on the planet.

Is there a reason you don't walk everywhere, every time, all over the world like they did more than 5500 years ago?
How long does it take to circle the globe in a plane? About 45 hours? How about to walk? About 3 years if you walk non-stop?
So that's only a tiny factor of about 584 - not an enormous factor of 3333333.
Starting to see the picture?

If you get in a fist fight. do you strand there lightly touching the other guy 10 on the shoulder with your little finger?
Then when he punches you 10 times hard in the face - you lose.

Activity: 129
Merit: 16
Bitcoin had a staff meeting and concluded the pixel pushers are no longer worthy
Activity: 562
Merit: 139
Regardless of what a waste as someone may say it is.... I say go for it!

I was told I was nuts for building a USB miner farm and looked how that turned out.

Whatever happened to 1 CPU 1 vote?
Activity: 126
Merit: 39
Hey guys!

I know this doesn't make sense but I'm hoping to mine Bitcoin on modern GPUs. I mean actually mining the SHA256 algo. I know you used to be able to do this with cgminer like 10 years ago, but I'm struggling to find anything that can do it on modern GPUs. I think it would make for a fun comparison of how far ASIC mining technology has come in a video on my Youtube channel.

If any of you guys have any tips for a mining software I could do this with I'd be very thankful! Basically any help I can get at all would be greatly appreciated. Smiley

EDIT: Yes I am very aware this won't be profitable Wink I run a Youtube channel and a lot of my viewers have been asking about solo mining BTC on their GPU rigs now that GPU mining isn't profitable since the merge. I wanna show them that yes technically you can do it but it's not really a good idea.

Thank you so much!
/Seb
Hi brother that's just not good cause Graphics Cards offer only kilo Hash powers as compared to the Asic Mining machines that offers in Tera hAsh power. And You won't mine anything if you want to go for the SHA-256.
I think that you should go to for Ethereum mining with GPU with 10 Plus in numbers and in this way toy would be able to generate good amount of money. And also here is a detailed article and you would find interesting.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bfgminer-550-cpugpufpgaasic-mining-software-gbtstratum-rpc-linuxwin64-877081
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Well the reality is that most people who ask such questions want to use a botnet of stolen GPU power.
Alas these such people are too blind to realise that it will generate next to nothing even if they have a botnet of 10 thousand GPUs
i.e. as from above, 10000 fast GPUs would be less than 0.00003 BTC a day - i.e. somewhere around 50c a day Tongue
OMG they've struck it rich, possibly $150 mining 3MW of other people's GPU power for a year Smiley

This is not something I am looking to actually do because I think it'll be profitable. I know it won't be. As I said in my original post, it's for a video. I have a channel (you can look up Sebs Fintech on Youtube) and a lot of people have been asking me about solo mining BTC on GPUs now that GPU mining isn't profitable anymore since the merge. So my plan is to make a video showing that yes you can technically do it, but it's really not a great use of power and then compare it to the results of doing it with an ASIC or just a USB miner like the Compac F's that I've made videos on previously.
you are a rare person by saying you are not going to do something you think will be profitable.  most people it seems think along the lines of wanting to get rich quick easy.  from what i've seen the main way people are making money is by charging large amounts online to people who want to earn easy money and end up getting nothing in return and then they move on to the next get rich scheme.  recently some people made good money in bitcoin and got out. i wasn't that lucky. i held on too long.  it's really hard to know when to sell at the right time.
legendary
It's an abhorrent waste of power.
No doubt some watching your video will be encouraged to do it.
Or I should also now add, some reading this thread ... sigh.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 2904
Block halving is coming.

I'm getting 2.3Gh/s on a RX 6700XT in bfgminer

I'm with OP on this one.

I think if there was a new software we could see some higher hash rates with modern GPUs
That's pretty low it is still not the best choice because the GPU is still more expensive than buying a single USB miner stick that can mine around 300gh/s.

Why don't you just forget mining with GPU instead buy a compac USB miner?
If you are looking for other software no one yet develop a software or miner that can improve the hash rate of this GPU.
Activity: 129
Merit: 16
You can only get ?KH/s in sha256 algo with GPU mining I don't know what current software that supports GPU to mine Sha256 but you can try to read this thread below.

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bfgminer-550-cpugpufpgaasic-mining-software-gbtstratum-rpc-linuxwin64-877081

Take note this is not profitable if ever it works be ready for power consumption and possible high monthly bill.

Mining with a USB stick like Compact F is way better than mining with GPU. The advantage are low power consumption and high hash rate compare to GPU mining.

I'm getting 2.3Gh/s on a RX 6700XT in bfgminer

I'm with OP on this one.

I think if there was a new software we could see some higher hashrates with modern GPUs
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'

He could solo mine btc and etc with 10 gpus

and see how much better it would be to solo mine etc.

essentially gpu mining is dead to everyone over six cent power.

maybe to everyone over five cent power.

legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Unless your aim is you want people to stare at your face, it's a waste of time - just make it one single image saying why it's such an abhorrently bad idea.
Well, getting views is the whole point of youtube.
If the OP can show a couple terminal windows showing rolling counts of work done I'll give them that as viable content.

Sounds about as exciting as watching paint dry but hey - it's Youtube... Wink
legendary
This is not something I am looking to actually do because I think it'll be profitable. I know it won't be. As I said in my original post, it's for a video. I have a channel (you can look up Sebs Fintech on Youtube) and a lot of people have been asking me about solo mining BTC on GPUs now that GPU mining isn't profitable anymore since the merge. So my plan is to make a video showing that yes you can technically do it, but it's really not a great use of power and then compare it to the results of doing it with an ASIC or just a USB miner like the Compac F's that I've made videos on previously.
It's an abhorrent waste of power.
No doubt some watching your video will be encouraged to do it.

Why do you think these people with GPUs are asking?
They've been kicked off mining a scamcoin and now want to mine something else.

Unless your aim is you want people to stare at your face, it's a waste of time - just make it one single image saying why it's such an abhorrently bad idea.
legendary
Activity: 2842
Merit: 7333
Crypto Swap Exchange
If any of you guys have any tips for a mining software I could do this with I'd be very thankful! Basically any help I can get at all would be greatly appreciated. Smiley

Some time ago i tried solo mining Bitcoin Testnet using bfgminer[1] by following guide created by nullama[2]. But expect hashrate ranging from few MH/s (old/low end GPU) to few GH/s (if you use modern high-end GPU).

[1] https://github.com/luke-jr/bfgminer
[2] https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61058395
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1026
Hey guys!

I know this doesn't make sense but I'm hoping to mine Bitcoin on modern GPUs. I mean actually mining the SHA256 algo. I know you used to be able to do this with cgminer like 10 years ago, but I'm struggling to find anything that can do it on modern GPUs. I think it would make for a fun comparison of how far ASIC mining technology has come in a video on my Youtube channel.

Thank you so much!
/Seb
Bitcoin mining on video cards is unprofitable, because one ASIC gives the performance of a thousand video cards.
Use the Nicehash service. The most profitable algorithm will be automatically selected for your video card, and you will receive a reward in bitcoins.
Activity: 4
Merit: 8
Well the reality is that most people who ask such questions want to use a botnet of stolen GPU power.
Alas these such people are too blind to realise that it will generate next to nothing even if they have a botnet of 10 thousand GPUs
i.e. as from above, 10000 fast GPUs would be less than 0.00003 BTC a day - i.e. somewhere around 50c a day Tongue
OMG they've struck it rich, possibly $150 mining 3MW of other people's GPU power for a year Smiley

legendary
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
Hey guys!

Thank you so much!
/Seb

Yeah point all your gpus to a pool that will let (not sure any exists)

and buy a compact stick from side hack it will  do 300gh

legendary
Look at it another obvious way.

To mine with a current miner is about 3500W for 100TH or more.

To do that with GPUs will be at least 100000 GPUs or 30MW.
(assuming a GPU could even reach 1GH/s with 300W - which is unlikely)

Your idea is to use that massive amount of power, 30MW, and whatever effect it has, for a tiny return of currently about 0.0003 BTC a day.

If you say, no I only have 300 GPUs, well then you are only earning 0.0000009 BTC a day and using 90kW

That 300 GPUs will be less GH/s than 1 single CompacF Ferrari that uses about 15W and can do over 300GH/s
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 2904
Block halving is coming.
You can only get ?KH/s in sha256 algo with GPU mining I don't know what current software that supports GPU to mine Sha256 but you can try to read this thread below.

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bfgminer-550-cpugpufpgaasic-mining-software-gbtstratum-rpc-linuxwin64-877081

Take note this is not profitable if ever it works be ready for power consumption and possible high monthly bill.

Mining with a USB stick like Compact F is way better than mining with GPU. The advantage are low power consumption and high hash rate compare to GPU mining.
Pages:
Jump to: