Pages:
Author

Topic: Iceland and Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 2094 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
April 07, 2014, 05:45:50 PM
Do your homework people.

You've got a bit of a problem in Iceland.

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/technology/where-is-bitcoin-legal/?iid=EL

My $.02.

Wink
Activity: 196
Merit: 101
April 07, 2014, 04:48:34 PM
this is true, they did indeed chase out the bankers Cheesy

Iceland is an ideal place to start advertising in Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
April 07, 2014, 02:01:40 PM
I don't consider myself and expert on this idea but wouldn't Iceland be perfect for mass adoption of Bitcoin?  Think about it.

1. Dirt cheap electricity for mining(geothermal power).
2. Cold weather to keep mining processors cool.
3. Strategically positioned between Europe and North America for network connections/servers and so forth.  I think they're building servers in Iceland for other reasons as well. 
4. Populace is well educated compared to most developed countries as they don't have much else to do except read a lot.
5. They hate banks!

What do you think?

Your 1,2,3 is all about mining BTC
The network is secure and using tons of electricity, so why do we need more miners?
Activity: 364
April 07, 2014, 01:21:45 PM
Due to the capital controls put in place in 2008 to stop money flight on the króna, buying and selling Bitcoin in Iceland, which appears to consider Bitcoin as a foreign currency, is Illegal.[citation needed] The Icelandic Central Bank confirmed that "it is prohibited to engage in foreign exchange trading with the electronic currency Bitcoin, according to the Icelandic Foreign Exchange Act",[23] however commentators suggest bitcoins mined within Iceland could be freely traded.
But it seams that they have their own cryptocurrency : http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/25/bitcoin-goes-national-with-scotcoin-auroracoin
legendary
Activity: 954
Merit: 1003
February 21, 2014, 06:47:18 PM
What do you think?

Any news from Iceland?

Thailand allows BTC trades, what about Iceland?
legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166
September 19, 2013, 02:36:59 AM
There is nothing I want to buy from Iceland, so for me it doesn't matter at all.

Me neither when goods are concerned, but I would love to go on vacation to Iceland at some point in the future because I'm sure this must be very, very beautiful and interesting!
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
September 18, 2013, 10:23:38 PM
I don't consider myself and expert on this idea but wouldn't Iceland be perfect for mass adoption of Bitcoin?  Think about it.

3. Strategically positioned between Europe and North America for network connections/servers and so forth.  I think they're building servers in Iceland for other reasons as well. 
4. Populace is well educated compared to most developed countries as they don't have much else to do except read a lot.
5. They hate banks!

What do you think?
Most of these factors do not matter.

What does matter is if there is something that you or I want to buy from Iceland, and for which they will take bitcoin.

There is nothing I want to buy from Iceland, so for me it doesn't matter at all. But naturally Icelandic people need to buy things from there and they can use their own currency as well as BTC...and they can use BTC to buy other currencies and then later sell those currencies and buy BTC again for ISK, making it rather worthwhile indeed.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
September 16, 2013, 08:15:22 PM

5. They hate banks!

What do you think?
Most of these factors do not matter.

What does matter is if there is something that you or I want to buy from Iceland, and for which they will take bitcoin.
Activity: 359
September 16, 2013, 03:19:15 AM
6. They have currency restrictions*, which would both attract Bitcoin, and make it difficult to get it into the country.

* "ISK 8,000 is the maximum amount anyone person can import and export of the local currency"

But the bitcoin will never be imported or exported to Iceland - so it`s just a colocation / housing service like a lot of business do it. In my opinion it should be no problem if find attractive prices there.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
June 25, 2013, 12:42:38 AM
6. They have currency restrictions*, which would both attract Bitcoin, and make it difficult to get it into the country.

* "ISK 8,000 is the maximum amount anyone person can import and export of the local currency"
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
June 24, 2013, 10:12:03 PM
I asked for colocation pricing for servers and it was way more expensive than continental Europe and US. The only reason for it could be they are still far from mass adoption of these services like Netherlands, UK or Germany do.
Activity: 137
Merit: 100
June 24, 2013, 10:00:03 PM

5. They hate banks!

What do you think?
Pages:
Jump to: