Pages:
Author

Topic: [idea] A federal reserve system for bitcoin - page 2. (Read 1686 times)

Activity: 325
Merit: 250
Carpe noctem
An alternative strategy I would prefer to limit volatility - but that involves the selling of goods and services - is that merchants could back the price giving "price guarantees" for their goods for a certain period (e.g. a day). This would, however, only prevent crashes, but not spikes to the upside. See here for the idea.

The advantage over a "backing the BTC price with fiat" like in your proposal is that goods cannot be easily "traded back" to Bitcoin, so the merchant would have huge transaction costs if he wants to game the system buying all available items, and also that "non-scarce goods" like digital goods would make this kind of attack entirely impossible.

That sounds reasonable.But at the end of the day we need to consider what makes the price of Bitcoin. Until now only big and "trusted" exchanges are counted. If we are to "impose" guarantees for x prices at y moments almost every price observation algorithm should have to include big merchants and at the same time BitPay, Coinify and other api providers should agree at the spreads of the price (eg at 19/6 UTC 00:00 the price stands at 2000$ & we guarantee this value until 12:00) but again the interval is big and they could lose or gain considerable amounts of fees if they are to convert their coins to fiat asap.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 6249
Decentralization Maximalist
I like the idea a bit. So you are willing to create, basically, a contrarian trading group that "backs" the price of Bitcoin in bear markets and limits the spikes in bull markets. It reminds me to an user in the German forum who has propagated this technique for years, but never did this "group" approach. It also reminds me a bit of NuBits.

The problem I see is that it that in certain situations probably your group will be "out-traded" by big whales conspiring to make the price rise or fall. The group that does this contrarian strategy must be very big to be prepared for this kind of "attack". An idea would be the development of a bot that would be used by all the participants (just like in NuBits).

An alternative strategy I would prefer to limit volatility - but that involves the selling of goods and services - is that merchants could back the price giving "price guarantees" for their goods for a certain period (e.g. a day). This would, however, only prevent crashes, but not spikes to the upside. See here for the idea.

The advantage over a "backing the BTC price with fiat" like in your proposal is that goods cannot be easily "traded back" to Bitcoin, so an attacker would have huge transaction costs if he wants to game the system buying all available items, and also that "non-scarce goods" like digital goods would make this kind of attack entirely impossible.
Activity: 325
Merit: 250
Carpe noctem
I don't think you can influence the average Bitcoin price with small amounts of funds, let alone do it by using only one parameter (say Xapo). The Bitcoin "price" is actually the average price of all known/big and trusted exchanges combined to give you a general idea of the spot price each moment. Thus you'd need some 10-20 million dollars in a constant spinning at various exchanges.
Just let it work it's way up & down Smiley
Activity: 734
Merit: 109
I deposited 2 BTC to Lykke. I bought for 1 BTC CHF. My balances on Lykke is at this time: 2222.67 CHF and 1 BTC ...
I found a new platform - Lykke.
They promise 0 fees...
I installed the app on my mobile.
The app shows the lowest ask and highest bid prices also. It is possible to buy/sell/store in wallet XAU (gold) and XAG (silver), ... and EUR, USD, CHF, ... and of course BTC.
As first step I will deposit 2 BTC to my Lykke app.
Report:
 - I decided to act.
 - My funds on xapo (at this time): 3913.22 EUR (or 1.93450976 BTC)

Analyse:

xapo
date eur btc rate
2017-05-23   3817   1,95724298   1950,192203525
2017-05-25   4121,06   1,81859392   2266,0693817782
2017-05-26   3916   1,9184341   2041,2481200162
2017-05-27   3637,66   2,07594834   1752,2883059797
2017-05-28   3913,22   1,93450976   2022,8484140602

I see a small lost in bitcoin and a small increase in eur. Not a good profit. This post isn't about profitable trading - but it isn't a target to loose the funds. Plus Xapo was sometimes unreachable.
Maybe Xapo not the best platform for this experiment, as mentioned oft in this thread.
I searching for other platform. Can you tell me better platforms for this target? Please post it, if you have ideas...
legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
I started a fund for bitcoin today - a seed for a federal reserve system of the bitcoin Smiley

The idea is simple:

I hold 50% - 50% bitcoin and EUR on my xapo account. If the difference between two proportion reaches 10% - I made a transaction to balance it. It is easy with xapo.

If you will join - just create a fund on an exchange or an debit card application, u.s.w. - just as you will. You can deposit, maybe exchange some fiat (EUR, USD, ...) as you wish to this account.
Target is to make this funds balanced: 50% fiat (or gold, or silver) - 50% bitcoins

Could you explain the purpose of all that?

I read it a few times and still can't understand your idea. I understand what you are going to do, basically, you choose to keep balance in your funds at some ratio between fiat and crypto. Obviously, you are free to do whatever you may choose to do with your money. Sell your coins, buy yours coins, even gift them all, but what end exactly this idea should help to achieve?

- This idea should increase the market depth of bitcoin.
- The volatility should decrease.

I don't really understand how it could increase the market depth of bitcoin. In fact, I don't even understand what you mean by that. The same about volatility. How exactly should balancing of one's stash decrease volatility, and what does this all have to do "a federal reserve system for bitcoin". Are you posting this nonsense just to attract some attention to your personality?

If so, then more power to you
Report:
 - I decided to act again.
 - My funds on xapo (at this time): 3637.66 EUR (or 2.07594834 BTC)
I started a fund for bitcoin today - a seed for a federal reserve system of the bitcoin Smiley

The idea is simple:

I hold 50% - 50% bitcoin and EUR on my xapo account. If the difference between two proportion reaches 10% - I made a transaction to balance it. It is easy with xapo.

If you will join - just create a fund on an exchange or an debit card application, u.s.w. - just as you will. You can deposit, maybe exchange some fiat (EUR, USD, ...) as you wish to this account.
Target is to make this funds balanced: 50% fiat (or gold, or silver) - 50% bitcoins

I read it a few times and still can't understand your idea. I understand what you are going to do, basically, you choose to keep balance in your funds at some ratio between fiat and crypto. Obviously, you are free to do whatever you may choose to do with your money. Sell your coins, buy yours coins, even gift them all, but what end exactly this idea should help to achieve?

- This idea should increase the market depth of bitcoin.
- The volatility should decrease.
Report:
 - Just decided to act...
 - My funds on xapo (at this time): 3916,85 EUR (or 1.91843410 BTC)
Activity: 308
Merit: 100
The whole idea is still not clear, can you break it down more? what if the difference exceeds 10%
legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

The idea is simple:

Report:
 - Just decided to act...
 - My funds on xapo (at this time): 4121,06 EUR (or 1.81859392 BTC)
Activity: 3094
Merit: 929
Interesting idea. However, this will make xapo to become the gate keeper and I am not sure if they are good enough to take up this role...

I don`t trust Xapo and many people are like me.
Anyway,it`s a good business idea and someone should create such exchange platform.
I don`t know will this be profitable with the rising btc transaction fees and confirmation time.
Report:
 - My funds on xapo (at this time): 3817 EUR (or 1.957242979 BTC)
 - In the past 24h I decided two times my funds to balance...
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
Bitcoin does not require federal reserve, its decentralized and anonymous nature makes it able to evolve, bitcoin is free unbinding unnecessary things make rules.
Or instead you could buy bitcoins with everything you've got and go to sleep for 5 years and after you woke up see you have 15 times more money than 5 years ago, federal reserve is for a centralized systems and it can not work in crypto where every thing is decentralized.
There will be no free fall for bitcoin market, there are only 21M bitcoins and anyone with more coins is going to win bigger than others in the future.
Imagine every one holding and not selling, what then? you can't go and print more money (mine more bitcoins) so eventually you will have half the value of your coins in fiat then what?

Sorry - I think you don't understand the first post. Please re-read it.

- This will be a decentralized and well distributed system.
 - Nobody will print more bitcoin in future with this system - such work is a work for the well controlled miners. It will be exists through this system no more coins as before.
Activity: 924
Merit: 506
Or instead you could buy bitcoins with everything you've got and go to sleep for 5 years and after you woke up see you have 15 times more money than 5 years ago, federal reserve is for a centralized systems and it can not work in crypto where every thing is decentralized.
There will be no free fall for bitcoin market, there are only 21M bitcoins and anyone with more coins is going to win bigger than others in the future.
Imagine every one holding and not selling, what then? you can't go and print more money (mine more bitcoins) so eventually you will have half the value of your coins in fiat then what?
It might be better to hold 50% bitcoin / 50% gold or silver. With deficit and debt & concerns over currency devaluation the value of gold/silver is likely to increase, esp if currency devaluation/hyperinflation becomes real.

Good idea - and it is your decision. It is perfect, if you join with a such reserve... I will change the first post, just to save your idea.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
Why hold "50% fiat" in an era where state deficits are large and unsustainable with hyperinflation and fiat devaluation being likely prospects in the future? The united states economy being $20 trillion in debt is the reason savvy investors and countries like russia, japan and australia are shifting their holdings as far away from american fiat as possible.

The EU is very similar to the dollar in many ways & its value is likely to decrease. Many EU nations are giving illegal immigrants free welfare and healthcare which threatens to further impoverish their holdings, dragging their fiat value down with it. Especially if more nations commit to #brexit.

There are no advantages to holding euros with many disadvantages lurking on the horizon.

It might be better to hold 50% bitcoin / 50% gold or silver. With deficit and debt & concerns over currency devaluation the value of gold/silver is likely to increase, esp if currency devaluation/hyperinflation becomes real.
Pages:
Jump to: