Pages:
Author

Topic: Identifying the OP at a glance (SMF patch) - page 5. (Read 1637 times)

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
September 09, 2022, 08:53:59 AM
I like Style C best with OP written below username.

I'd much rather thread starter, original topic starter or thread creator underneath their name or something, because I can guarantee it, not everyone will know what "OP" stands for.
Perhaps adding simple popup window when you hover over username (or OP letters) could solve this.
Something like that exist in BPIP extension, so when you hover over any added icon you will see short explanation, and by default it works the same for username profile like this:

Code:
View the profile off ...

or for profile icon:

Code:
View Profile

It's the same for contact details and any information added in profile, like email or personal message.

staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
September 09, 2022, 08:52:14 AM
My thinking behind the last two (name in italics, and name underlined) is that they are non-intrusive and language-neutral
Good point, hadn't even thought about that. Very good point. However, I still think a key would be needed, and that would be an issue with implementing for local sections, since not everyone here speaks English perfectly. I feel like implementing it would require some explanation, and having that somewhere on the page like a key system would be the best option. I don't know how you get around local section specific implementations then though.
Activity: 510
Merit: 3981
September 09, 2022, 08:43:17 AM
@Welsh: Yeah, I appreciate your point of view. I actually did try a small "Topic Starter" underneath the name, but it kind of ends up looking (to me anyway) like an award or something. Like you're "Legendary", "Staff" and a "Topic Starter" Grin

Maybe if it was both underneath the name and in italics, or in square brackets, it would look right?

These patches are pretty simple to hand edit (patching patches?), so if others agree with you, then adjustments should be straightforward.

My thinking behind the last two (name in italics, and name underlined) is that they are non-intrusive and language-neutral, and for a feature that the forum has lived without for so long, something super subtle actually kind of works (the people that want this will know/learn/ask what to look for and the people that don't will barely notice anything has changed). I still prefer something a little more obvious, but I can see the appeal.
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
September 09, 2022, 07:35:24 AM
Yeah, this has been suggested a few times. However, I appreciate the pro activeness of getting it implemented. Anyway, I actually don't like any of the suggestions, and the reason being is nothing against you, but I bloody hate abbreviations without it being previously made clear what that abbreviation stands for. I might be on my own with that opinion, but it does annoy me, especially in technical discussions, which I understand this isn't.

I'd much rather thread starter, original topic starter or thread creator underneath their name or something, because I can guarantee it, not everyone will know what "OP" stands for. Anyone that has been using forum software for a long time, probably will, and sure they could ask if in doubt, but that increases the chances of them asking in that thread, and therefore going off topic or opening a new thread which will likely happen a few dozen times every year.

So, while I like the idea I think it needs to be clear what it means, but also not abbreviated. I do appreciate that the suggestions I've made are rather long winded, and therefore isn't as clean. Maybe, a key system could be implemented at the top of each thread, explaining what it means, and then have the abbreviation. Again though, likely to cause issues.

Same goes for the bolding or underlining, it's not self explanatory.
Activity: 510
Merit: 3981
September 09, 2022, 07:28:35 AM
A while back a suggestion was made (probably not for the first time) that appending "(OP)" to the topic starter's name would make it much easier to identify subsequent posts made by them.

The initial response was lukewarm, but by the time the topic died down, there were a good number of members (TheUltraElite, LoyceV, isaac_clarke22, KingsDen, sheenshane, Stalker22, vapourminer, Pmalek, dkbit98, The Pharmacist, Smartvirus, Mr.right85) that agreed it was a fine idea and that they would find it useful.

Thankfully, the current forum software is a modified version of SMF, which is both open-source and run by nice people that still offer old archived versions of their releases for download.

So, I thought I'd figure out how to implement this suggestion in SMF 1.1.19 and try my luck getting theymos to accept the patch.

I've implemented this change in 5 different styles (with 5 different patches) so theymos can choose the most appropriate one.

Style A

This one signifies the OP by appending "(OP)" (in bold) to their name:

Code:
--- /var/www/baseline/Themes/default/Display.template.php	2010-10-22 01:38:35.000000000 +0000
+++ /var/www/modified/Themes/default/Display.template.php 2022-09-10 03:27:48.000000000 +0000
@@ -261,13 +261,13 @@

// Show information about the poster of this message.
  echo '

- ', $message['member']['link'], '
+ ', $message['member']['link'], !$message['member']['is_guest'] && $message['member']['is_topic_starter'] ? ' (OP)' : '', '

';

// Show the member's custom title, if they have one.
  if (isset($message['member']['title']) && $message['member']['title'] != '')
  echo '
  ', $message['member']['title'], '
';

Style B

This one signifies the OP by appending "(OP)" (not in bold) to their name:

Code:
--- /var/www/baseline/Themes/default/Display.template.php	2010-10-22 01:38:35.000000000 +0000
+++ /var/www/modified/Themes/default/Display.template.php 2022-09-10 03:31:02.000000000 +0000
@@ -261,13 +261,13 @@

echo '

+ ', $message['member']['link'], '', !$message['member']['is_guest'] && $message['member']['is_topic_starter'] ? ' (OP)' : '', '

';

echo '
';

Style C

This one signifies the OP by adding a small "OP" underneath their name:

Code:
+++ /var/www/modified/Themes/default/Display.template.php 2022-09-10 03:39:50.000000000 +0000
@@ -264,12 +264,17 @@

', $message['member']['link'], '

';

+ // Show the text "OP" (with an explanation tooltip), if this member is the topic starter.
+ if (!$message['member']['is_guest'] && $message['member']['is_topic_starter'])
+ echo '
+ ', 'OP', '
';
+
  echo '
';

// Show the member's primary group (like 'Administrator') if they have one.

Style D

This one signifies the OP by putting their name in italics:

Code:
+++ /var/www/modified/Themes/default/Display.template.php 2022-09-10 03:41:49.000000000 +0000
@@ -261,13 +261,13 @@

echo '

+ ', !$message['member']['is_guest'] && $message['member']['is_topic_starter'] ? '' . $message['member']['link'] . '' : $message['member']['link'], '

';

echo '
';

Style E

This one signifies the OP by underlining their name:

Code:
+++ /var/www/modified/Themes/default/Display.template.php 2022-09-10 03:43:11.000000000 +0000
@@ -261,13 +261,13 @@

echo '

+ ', !$message['member']['is_guest'] && $message['member']['is_topic_starter'] ? '' . $message['member']['link'] . '' : $message['member']['link'], '

';

echo '
';

Closing thoughts

I think my favorite is style B. It's the most obvious and I prefer the "(OP)" when it's not in bold. I also like style C because the small "OP" underneath the name somehow seems in keeping with the Bitcointalk "style" (although it does consume vertical space). Style D is subtle and non-intrusive, which I like. I like styles A & E the least.

I experimented with different background colors and tried a few linear gradients as a way to make the OP's posts stand out, but I decided against anything too heavy-handed because I kind of love the forum just the way it is!

I've carefully tested these patches, but I'm pretty sure they won't cleanly apply to the modified version of SMF that this forum runs on. Luckily, they're tiny and easy to understand, so massaging them into place should be very straightforward.

Okay, that's all for now, I hope theymos accepts one of these patches! Smiley

Update (2022/9/10)

Based on a suggestion from dkbit98, I've updated the patches above (A, B & C) to include a tooltip (explanation text) when you hover over the "OP" letters (see below for an example).

I've also added a new style which uses this tooltip together with an icon (as suggested by KingsDen). Right now, the icon is Unicode character "✍" (U+270D: Writing Hand).

Obviously, theymos is free to decide on a different icon and reword the tooltip, but I think this style is my new favorite! Smiley

Style F

This one signifies the OP by adding a little icon next to their name:

Code:
+++ /var/www/modified/Themes/default/Display.template.php 2022-09-10 03:58:47.000000000 +0000
@@ -261,13 +261,13 @@

echo '

+ ', $message['member']['link'], '', !$message['member']['is_guest'] && $message['member']['is_topic_starter'] ? ' ' : '', '

';

echo '
';

Update (2022/9/13)

One of these patches (style B) was accepted by theymos! I'm humbled at being allowed to contribute to the forum in my own small way and very appreciative of the kind words that people have left in this thread. Smiley
Pages:
Jump to:
© 2020, Bitcointalksearch.org