Author

Topic: If Bitcoin had a stable price, would it still be as popular? - page 109. (Read 171736 times)

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541
Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man
I think if ever that bitcoin had a stable price it wouldn't be as popular as now, bitcoin seemed to becoming more popular and recognized because of its fluctuating price and It is one of the reason why many people are using it and making it as a investment but maybe it is also the reason why government,companies,businesses are not totally adopting bitcoin .
legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
Of course it would not be so popular and it would be never in the news world wide.

This is the exciting by bitcoin, how high the price will be going in the next years.

It would be too boring, because the only possible way that the price was stable, is if the price was fixed, in other terms, it would need a centralized party to control the supply, demand, coin release etc... which is what fiat is. The volatility is bitcoin is a result of the freedom it conveys. A side effect that im willing to deal with.

You got quite a point in there. If bitcoins price is stable then it will lose its decentralization because somebody needs to control its price and regulate it. Unlike the bitcoin we have today that is decentralized and is determined and defined by the market. But even though bitcoins price becomes stable and lost its decentralization it will still be popular and become more popular to merchants.

This is surely not the only way of making prices stable

If a real closed-loop economy evolves based entirely on using Bitcoin as a means of payment, and the majority of bitcoins will be used for facilitating real trades (and not for speculation), its price will be rock-solid and reliable and would change only through the change in the value of the currency in which it is priced. In this case, the Bitcoin value itself would depend primarily on the amount of goods exchanged for bitcoins and not so much on trading coupled with speculation
Activity: 994
Merit: 544
Of course it would not be so popular and it would be never in the news world wide.

This is the exciting by bitcoin, how high the price will be going in the next years.

It would be too boring, because the only possible way that the price was stable, is if the price was fixed, in other terms, it would need a centralized party to control the supply, demand, coin release etc... which is what fiat is. The volatility is bitcoin is a result of the freedom it conveys. A side effect that im willing to deal with.

You got quite a point in there. If bitcoins price is stable then it will lose its decentralization because somebody needs to control its price and regulate it. Unlike the bitcoin we have today that is decentralized and is determined and defined by the market. But even though bitcoins price becomes stable and lost its decentralization it will still be popular and become more popular to merchants.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025
Its hard to tell if it would have been popular but for one well known fact  it does NOT have buyer or seller protection which makes it unpopular for users who treasure their financial protection as users would want to feel protected when using it
The protection in transacting online can be done thru asking the service of the trusted escrow in the business, everything is possible with bitcoin and the limit is only upon us. Further, there are many services online that has been operating for so long already without any problem with bitcoin as a source of payment, a few to mention is purse.io.
Well, that is the thing people don’t trust each other, why would they trust a person with a 1000$ to send it to another person, and even if the person doing the escrow is completely legit and he is not going to walk away with money he takes fees for it which is not good for some people and that is what I think drives people away from it.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Bitcoin came first, always remember that. The price is being driven by the people. The people thus far have thought bitcoin is a good idea, therefor the price of bitcoin has gone up. I believe bitcoin is a revolutionary idea, so I believe that the price will continue to go up as more and more people understand it and use it. If one day bitcoin has a stable price, then so be it, who knows what it will mean or what will have caused it. One thing is for sure though, this thing is going to change the world forever.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091
In my opinion, if bitcoin had a stable price, bitcoin will become more popular, because many people will see that bitcoin is good for investment like gold and many people will use bitcoin for buying and selling something online as the payment.

It's different for every type of person. Volatility attracts people looking to make short term profits where they bring in fresh money. But that's also the case with stability. Stability attracts people looking to use Bitcoin as a long term store of value tool. That also helps bringing in fresh money. That's why I like the changes in the market where some times the price is experiencing some heavy volatility, and where other times the market is remarkably stable in Bitcoin terms.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

Activity: 770
Merit: 500
I'm not an investor or trader. So in the case that bitcoin would have stable price it would be still interesting to me, of course in the case that it's price would be on the same level as today. To me bitcoin is work and I live with those earnings that I make with bitcoin.
not only for you but for all other people who are using bitcoin for trading, investment or using it as currency will be good for them, i think people willl get more confident and thy will even start using to facilitate from the different services of bitcoin.
Activity: 1386
Merit: 623
Maintain Social Distance, Stay safe.
Bitcoin would have been more popular and accepted by companies as a payment option if it had a stable price as they dont need to face loss due to fluctuation in price. But on the other hand, traders would not have liked bitcoin as now because they could not yield more profits due to its stable price. But for people who use bitcoin only for transactions would feel no differences if bitcoin had a stable price or not.
Given the fact that we need greater adoption, greater price stability would be required for this. But with increase in demand, price would also rise... there could be no sharp fluctuations, and that's a downside for traders, but it's something positive for users and long-term investors.

actually traders would love that. it is their dream to see the prices fluctuate a lot, have you ever seen a big fluctuation with small volume? no because all traders rush to make the most out of it and make lots of profit. and also traders would still like it if the prices were stable. just as gold is stable and they are making money.
Yeah there is many different traders a minute trader hour trader or for long term traders.. we are seeing always if the price was increase and hit high expect that the price will decrease a bit soon just to safe the profit of their bitcoin and if they seen the price is down again they are saving safe the profit and buy a again for a cheap price.. so it is impossible that the price of bitcoin will be stable.
Activity: 938
I'm not an investor or trader. So in the case that bitcoin would have stable price it would be still interesting to me, of course in the case that it's price would be on the same level as today. To me bitcoin is work and I live with those earnings that I make with bitcoin.

You are making a life with the bitcoin earnings? Soo you do earn well or you live into a poor countrie, it wouldnt be the first time a person would say is living from bitcoin. How much you getting monthly 0.5-1 btc or above, i do know that at some countries you can live with such income. As a trader and investor i would like to get a stable value, that could be lower then now, 200-300 dollars, it would be enought and with those i believe we would achieve all places faster. But this huge pumps and dumps that happens at bitcoin does bringed huge players and investors to moove bitcoin ahead, soo this is for sure an amazing investment with potencial earnings unrealistic.
Activity: 910
Merit: 550
If its stable but still a high amount it will be popular but if its small amount well i think it wont never be popular . Thats with my opinion because bitcoin is growing nowadays and it almost reach $1000 in 2016 now in 2017 many of us expecting till bitcoin reach atlease $1000 so they can change their bitcoin to fiat.
Activity: 516
In my opinion, if bitcoin had a stable price, bitcoin will become more popular, because many people will see that bitcoin is good for investment like gold and many people will use bitcoin for buying and selling something online as the payment.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 655
Bitcoin would have been more popular and accepted by companies as a payment option if it had a stable price as they dont need to face loss due to fluctuation in price. But on the other hand, traders would not have liked bitcoin as now because they could not yield more profits due to its stable price. But for people who use bitcoin only for transactions would feel no differences if bitcoin had a stable price or not.
Given the fact that we need greater adoption, greater price stability would be required for this. But with increase in demand, price would also rise... there could be no sharp fluctuations, and that's a downside for traders, but it's something positive for users and long-term investors.

actually traders would love that. it is their dream to see the prices fluctuate a lot, have you ever seen a big fluctuation with small volume? no because all traders rush to make the most out of it and make lots of profit. and also traders would still like it if the prices were stable. just as gold is stable and they are making money.
Activity: 294
Activity: 454
Activity: 882
I think what made Bitcoin popular is the potential it has to become the future of money, not the price it has. The price of Bitcoin has increased incredibly from when it first came out. The price became like that because of the possibility of it, how innovative it is and how it can help us transfer money, transact etc. It would be okay to have a stable price but more fun when unstable. It can't be predicted.
yeah , You are right but for bitcoin trader it is a complicated to get profit some times . Because sometimes we made sell of bitcoin and go suddenly down then it became a complicated to recover loss .
Well it is a good thing also for rest of people .
copper member
Activity: 2870
Merit: 1279
Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph
I think what made Bitcoin popular is the potential it has to become the future of money, not the price it has. The price of Bitcoin has increased incredibly from when it first came out. The price became like that because of the possibility of it, how innovative it is and how it can help us transfer money, transact etc. It would be okay to have a stable price but more fun when unstable. It can't be predicted.
Activity: 882
Of course it would, it would be used as currency

How can you say that? If the price would have been stable then today none of us maybe were aware of it because it would not spread like this if its value was that much low as it was at the start, why would people start using a currency that has a price like cents?

Bitcoin is a currency already. People use it like US Dollar bills.

The flux in price is not related to the acceptance of bitcoin as a currency. Rather the fluctuation in price bring in more traders. Of course if the price was negligible then it would not be popular at all.
Actually the fluctuations in the price of Bitcoin making the trading more interesting but if the price of bitcoin remain stable then the publicity will not go down , Because bitcoin have not one single quality of beautiness . It has many better qualities like freedom to use , low transaction charges , no tax etc
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1253
So anyway, I applied as a merit source :)
Of course it would, it would be used as currency

How can you say that? If the price would have been stable then today none of us maybe were aware of it because it would not spread like this if its value was that much low as it was at the start, why would people start using a currency that has a price like cents?

Bitcoin is a currency already. People use it like US Dollar bills.

The flux in price is not related to the acceptance of bitcoin as a currency. Rather the fluctuation in price bring in more traders. Of course if the price was negligible then it would not be popular at all.
Jump to: