Pages:
Author

Topic: If I was chairman of the Fed - page 2. (Read 2622 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
January 29, 2014, 01:23:51 AM
If i was chairman of the fed, i would be trying to slander bitcoin as much as possible because it poses a threat to the fed's vice grip control over monetary policy. Then on the backend, I would probably be having everyone in my family stock up on as many bitcoins as possible lol
Activity: 364
Merit: 264
January 29, 2014, 01:22:00 AM
Slightly (albiet not very much) more realistically:  Suppose the reverse repo plan fails to draw down liquidity and hyperinflation hits.  How can you burn the fiat?   Talk up bitcoin.  Everyone buys bitcoin, other assets deflate to reasonable levels.  Stablize BTCUSD with market operations once you reach a preferred liquidity level.  In short: Make bitcoin a policy instrument.  It's a superb fiat burner, for you when absolutely, positively must burn fiat.  To do this well you must be able to sell bitcoin in quantity.  To do that, you need to stock up on bitcoin, in advance.  The US needs a strategic bitcoin reserve. 

Any bets as to how likely the "FBI coins" will be "won" during the upcoming auction by an "internal bidder?"
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
January 29, 2014, 01:15:28 AM
Slightly (albiet not very much) more realistically:  Suppose the reverse repo plan fails to draw down liquidity and hyperinflation hits.  How can you burn the fiat?   Talk up bitcoin.  Everyone buys bitcoin, other assets deflate to reasonable levels.  Stablize BTCUSD with market operations once you reach a preferred liquidity level.  In short: Make bitcoin a policy instrument.  It's a superb fiat burner, for you when absolutely, positively must burn fiat.  To do this well you must be able to sell bitcoin in quantity.  To do that, you need to stock up on bitcoin, in advance.  The US needs a strategic bitcoin reserve. 

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
January 29, 2014, 01:09:54 AM
There would be polonium in your toothpaste.  If you survived all the way to the bathroom, that is.  But hey, I'd vote for it.  (The policy, not the toothpaste.)
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007
Hide your women
January 29, 2014, 12:52:57 AM
This is a fantasy thought experiment. If I was Chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve, the most powerful central bank in the world, I would be buying bitcoin like mad. I would use the precedent set by the purchase mortgage-backed securities (intervening in a market other than government debt) to authorize a stealth acquisition of as much BTC as possible before word got out and then I'd buy it all. I'd guess I'd get about 20-30% of all bitcoins in circulation before the price skyrocketed into the millions, but I'd keep buying anyway.

I'd keep buying until bitcoin hit $1 Billion/BTC. and then I'd keep buying.

I'd do this because the Fed is in a massive dilemma right now. The fed has a dual mandate for price stability and full employment.  This cannot possibly be achieved because capital has been so misallocated by decades of money printing that the necessary correction to reallocate capital into the hands of the people most likely to use it most productively would cause a horrendous depression that would dwarf the great depression in size and scope. To make matters worse, staving off that depression ca only be accomplished by massive increases in the Fed's balance sheet, which increases the money supply and causes inflation and exponentially growing rates.

So basically the Fed is printing money only they call it "quantitative easing." Inflation was getting too high, so they tried printing a little less. They're still printing billions every month, but just slowing down the amount of counterfeiting has caused the capital markets to dive.

So instead of creating money out of thin air and giving it to the banks, I would create money out of thin air and give it to sellers of bitcoin. This would cause upward pressure on prices, but it would be counterbalanced by the downward pressure on prices caused by rising interest rates. The banks would be saved because people would be borrowing as much money as possible in order to buy bitcoin.  The profits and interest from these loans would offset the losses from all of the bad mortgage loans that would likely go into default. People would eventually get the idea that it was smart to only borrow money to buy bitcoin and not to buy anything else. The would learn to only sell bitcoin when they absolutely needed to. This would encourage capital formation, which is necessary for increased productivity and sustainable economic growth.

Assuming a neutral reaction from congress (this is a fantasy, remember?), I'd use my unlimited ability to create new money to buy bitcoin until I cornered the market. At that point, I'd create a policy of fixing the price of the bitcoin to the U.S. dollar, essentially making the dollar a bitcoin derivative. Due to bitcoin's limited supply, dollar deflation would start immediately, making U.S. exports prohibitively expensive. At the same time, imports would get cheaper and cheaper. To counter this, I would advocate a repeal of legal tender laws and allow legal transactions in any national currency, cryptocurrency, gold or whatever both parties agreed to.

Then I'd retire.

Pages:
Jump to: