Pages:
Author

Topic: If Monero evolved from Bytecoin, how come there is still Bytecoin? - page 2. (Read 2390 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
Litecoin Association Director
I cant tell if you are asking a serious question or not, because im a nice guy ill answer you seriously Smiley.

Just because coin X was forked from coin Y and coin X may be better, the "markets" would disagree. The more options that are out there to make money off of the better they are. Hence part of the reason there was such an influx of alt coins a year or two ago.

Cheap money and greed, thats one of the major factors of why coins still exist. In addition to that, there are other factors such as a coins notoriety. Bitcoin arguably is behind the curve in terms of technology, yet its much more well known therefore people are attracted to it more.

Also I will add that even though I am heavily involved in Litecoin, I support Bitcoin and many other alts. Although I personally know little about Bytecoin and Monero.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
Because there was a Bytecoin waaaay before Monero existed

whats that an a for every week?

..just when i thought it was safe to come out and FUD a little LOL

so..

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

whats that an a for every week?
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
Activity: 139
Merit: 107
This is a question often posed by altcoin fanatics. It betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of evolutionary theory. To make matters worse, in this particular case, the entire premise of the question is false. So let's knock it on the head right away:

Monero did not evolve from Bytecoin; Monero and Bytecoin both evolved from an extinct common ancestor.

To ask a question of the form ‘If Coin X evolved from Coin Y, how come Coin Y still exists?’ is to misunderstand how evolution works. Entire coins do not evolve into new coins; new coins tend to evolve as isolated offshoots of existing (parent) coins.

In some cases, newly evolved coins can end up out-competing their parent (or sibling) coins, driving them to extinction, but by no means in all cases (ie. in the Monero case). So, even if Coin X evolved from Coin Y, there is no reason why Coin Y should not still exist.
Pages:
Jump to: