Pages:
Author

Topic: If someone mistakenly sent you 1 ETH, what would you do? - page 2. (Read 1095 times)

Activity: 1190
Merit: 100
I have often imagined this, and never happened. lol
If someday someone wrongly sends ETH to my personal wallet. So I will use it for trading, maybe somewhat evil. But in my opinion it is lucky for me, because there is no fault from me. all purely the fault of someone else sending to the wrong address.
Activity: 224
Merit: 18
Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin
Original post should be about Warning people to check wallet address very well before making transactions, I've never did the mistake once and I've made countless transactions in the past, sending to wrong address is stupidity to me
Activity: 559
Merit: 48
If someone sent me 1 ETH , I will sent him back to the sending address after deducting eth gas fee.

We all know you wont do that.

If someone sends me 1 ETH, I would hold it. But I will keep monitoring https://etherscan.io/ comments section of my address. Maybe someone will write something there, that he accidentally sent me funds and after some negotiations, I would send them back. But honestly, I would take this 1 ETH as a gift.
Activity: 272
Merit: 13
This is the reason why you have to be extremely careful when it comes to cryptocurrency and you have to be in the right state of mind before you make any transaction. i always cross check the address im sending to over and over again before i finalize the transaction to make sure there is no error.
Activity: 119
Merit: 6
Sending Crypto has no chargeback you are sending Crypto out of confidence in the receiver, I will just let it remain in my wallet until such time it's free to own it if the sender takes effort to look for the answer and find me maybe will split because it's his mistakes, not mine everyone should know the basic of sending and failure to do will result to big penalty or bad consequences.
Activity: 602
Merit: 253
It's pretty common when someone sent you something by mistake and in this case cryptos. People make mistakes such as that but it never happened to me before. I mean, I might send them back to the sender's address. Or maybe the rightful owner will make some announcement saying they want their money back and they can provide proof that it's theirs and accidentally sent to the wrong address. Nonetheless to say, some might just keep them in their waller lmao. Well, your call.
Activity: 686
Merit: 125
It's not everyday that you get tot receive 1 eth to your wallet and there could be a reason since this is no small amount will try to trace the owner and thank him for sending it to me, and if he says he wants it back and was sent by mistake I will just send the half this is to teach him a lesson that he must always check the address and for the time and effort I spent looking for him.
LOL, what if he wanted it to sent to you in full because he will going to use it for medications. Are you still going to send the half of it?

In my case I will negotiate with the one to teach him a lesson to double check first before going into transaction. If he has no good reason for him to get back the eth to him then i will send 80% only and 20% is to teach him a lesson. This I think the better way than having it 50% which is relatively high and  of course due to pandemic we all need finances but this could not be the reason to own money mistakenly sent by you.
Activity: 952
Merit: 27
It's not everyday that you get tot receive 1 eth to your wallet and there could be a reason since this is no small amount will try to trace the owner and thank him for sending it to me, and if he says he wants it back and was sent by mistake I will just send the half this is to teach him a lesson that he must always check the address and for the time and effort I spent looking for him.
Activity: 378
Merit: 335
https://t.me/CRYPTOVlKING
Some would do this:

or

Some would return it and be like this:

or

And the truth it this:

Activity: 55
Merit: 1
You could just post on several Crypto Exchange Telegrams, and say you want to give back 1 ETH you received by accident.  I'm guessing you just might get a response.  Smiley

This is not good way of giving back to real owner because its not easy and good way just try to catch with sender address hopefully you have some reply or wait for few days then if you will not receive any reply then use this because now its your property and if you want send them back on sender address this option is also available but this is also not easy way because many time we have more then one sender address.

I was joking.
Activity: 476
Merit: 62
You could just post on several Crypto Exchange Telegrams, and say you want to give back 1 ETH you received by accident.  I'm guessing you just might get a response.  Smiley

This is not good way of giving back to real owner because its not easy and good way just try to catch with sender address hopefully you have some reply or wait for few days then if you will not receive any reply then use this because now its your property and if you want send them back on sender address this option is also available but this is also not easy way because many time we have more then one sender address.
Activity: 664
I chose to return the money / ETH, I will definitely return it if he can provide proof that it belongs to him, someone must have committed unwanted negligence, it would be nice for us to give the rights he has over the ETH.
This is the more reason why you need to be extremely sure you are sending back the ETH to the rightful owner. Best thing to do is not disclose the amount of ETH you received and then request for the transaction hash, this way you can easily catch an impostor.

Exactly. One must be careful when sending the coins back to someone else. Besides requesting a transaction hash, you can also request a signed message from the public address where the transaction originated. This will give you undeniable proof that the person claiming the ETH is the original owner. While this is a form of courtesy, there's no obligation since crypto is widely unregulated. Due to the Blockchain's decentralized model, the funds are technically yours once fully confirmed by the network. You can put the 1 ETH to good use by donating it to a charity of your choice. Or you can decide to "hodl" it for the long term.

In order for people to avoid mistakes when sending coins to another address on the Blockchain, it's best to copy and paste a public address or simply scan the provided QR code. Mistakes are only made if the person types the address manually on the wallet. But it's an oddity these days, since most (if not all) wallets have a built-in QR code scanner and a text box you can easily paste a copied address into. As I was told before, ETH has a checksum mechanism which verifies the address is typed correctly by the user. This should reduce the number of mistakes made by newcomers into cryptocurrency.

Nonetheless, it's your decision whenever you want to send the 1 ETH back to its original owner or keep it for the long term. Things would've been different if it was a credit/debit card transaction or payment through a traditional payment processor like PayPal. This is largely because these methods are centralized, where you're obliged to comply with regulations. But since crypto is still unregulated these days, anyone can do whatever they want with it (sort of). Just my thoughts Grin

So many people overthinking this fun morality question.  There are only two choices:

1.)  Keep it.
2.)  Send it back.

copper member
Activity: 210
I've actually not seen or heard of anyone sending ethereum to a wrong address. If I eventually get to see any ethereum in my wallet, I'll see it as a gift, unless I'm informed that it was sent by mistake. I really don't think anyone would be able to write down the address, most cases the address is copied and unless the person copied my address, it would be impossible to send me by mistake.

legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1363
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
This is the more reason why you need to be extremely sure you are sending back the ETH to the rightful owner. Best thing to do is not disclose the amount of ETH you received and then request for the transaction hash, this way you can easily catch an impostor.

Exactly. One must be careful when sending the coins back to someone else. Besides requesting a transaction hash, you can also request a signed message from the public address where the transaction originated. This will give you undeniable proof that the person claiming the ETH is the original owner. While this is a form of courtesy, there's no obligation since crypto is widely unregulated. Due to the Blockchain's decentralized model, the funds are technically yours once fully confirmed by the network. You can put the 1 ETH to good use by donating it to a charity of your choice. Or you can decide to "hodl" it for the long term.

In order for people to avoid mistakes when sending coins to another address on the Blockchain, it's best to copy and paste a public address or simply scan the provided QR code. Mistakes are only made if the person types the address manually on the wallet. But it's an oddity these days, since most (if not all) wallets have a built-in QR code scanner and a text box you can easily paste a copied address into. As I was told before, ETH has a checksum mechanism which verifies the address is typed correctly by the user. This should reduce the number of mistakes made by newcomers into cryptocurrency.

Nonetheless, it's your decision whenever you want to send the 1 ETH back to its original owner or keep it for the long term. Things would've been different if it was a credit/debit card transaction or payment through a traditional payment processor like PayPal. This is largely because these methods are centralized, where you're obliged to comply with regulations. But since crypto is still unregulated these days, anyone can do whatever they want with it (sort of). Just my thoughts Grin
copper member
Activity: 350
I don't think it's possible for an unknown person to send me that amount, most times it may be someone you've traded with in the past who mistakenly copied your wallet address. In a situation like that, I'll give it back because its unfair to walk away with such an amount.
Activity: 1106
Merit: 502
its impossible i think but let's say someone transfer me accidentally his 1 ethereum well if he manages to contact me then maybe we could talk and literally i would ask him to give me some ethereum and i will send back to him but if he didn't managed to contact me or where to contact me i think i should keep the ethereum.
Activity: 994
in crypto we don't know whose wallet is and if we announce anywhere there will be thousands of people who will admit that it's theirs, one of the best ways is to take the eth and use it to trade
Activity: 827
I were to receive 1 ETH out of nowhere then I would probably keep it for sometime and wait for the owner to contact me.
If the owner contacts me and explains why and how he sent me the ETH then I would probably give it back to him after receiving a signed message.
If the owner doesn't contacts me then I would probably hold it as an investment for myself.

But how to contact on you they dont know anything for you and its only an address only that can use. Any information from you are always hidden so must better to use it for gas or trade than to wait for the owner. And we cant tell that he/she have mistake send it because it was directly to your wallet.
we don't know who the real owner's contact information is, sometimes we are blocked by information who owns the coin. so there's nothing we can do but use it to trade or sell
Pages:
Jump to: