Pages:
Author

Topic: If you could travel back in time, how would you change Bitcoin? - page 2. (Read 2334 times)

legendary
Activity: 988
Merit: 1108
I'd employ a different proof-of-work that doesn't provide much benefit to GPUs/ASICs,
but rather depends on many gigabytes of memory (just for generating, not for verifying)

Well, that's what I'm trying to design right now:)

-John

Where could we read more about ur design?

I'll announce the design in this forum, hopefully within a week.

-John
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
I'd employ a different proof-of-work that doesn't provide much benefit to GPUs/ASICs,
but rather depends on many gigabytes of memory (just for generating, not for verifying)

-John

Where could we read more about ur design?
legendary
Activity: 988
Merit: 1108

-John
Activity: 200
Merit: 100
they need a way to split stocks, but with the coins.

turn 12 million coins into 120 million. 

no one wants to pay for a sandwich with .00000012 of a coin.

donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Nothing but the name. I would have called it Dogecoin.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
Then imagine 100k for a bitcoin. Who in their right mind would pay that?

Right, and who in their right mind would pay $39,000 for a kilogram of gold?!

Oh, wait, we don't have to buy it in kilogram units?  It can be bought in smaller portions and we can use different names for those portions?  But, it's still gold, right?  Ok, so mayby I can spend $39 and buy a gram of gold.  That works.

If bitcoin is $100,000 per bitcoin, then you will be exchanging and buying microbitcoin (µBTC). You might even use a reasonable nickname for the quantity.  Call it a "Mike", or a "microbit", or a "Mic".  You'll be paying $0.10 per microbitcoin.  That's a very reasonable number.
Activity: 146
Merit: 10
I guess the current limit is 7/sec. Is there any way to optimise this to 500/sec.

Is litecoin any better for this?
Activity: 994
Merit: 501
Scalability.

Bitcoin can never become mainstream while able to handle less than a thousand transactions per second. 

I think this is the main concern.  Merchants need instant verification if this is ever to go mainstream.  I don't know who much of a concern double spending (I know there's a better term for it!) the same address is right now, but the first we hear of it from a merchant there might be some negative press about it.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1129
Scalability.

Bitcoin can never become mainstream while able to handle less than a thousand transactions per second. 
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
there's also just something psychologically that makes me not want to pay 10k per ONE coin.

I'd start buying litecoin before I'd pay 10k per a bitcoin.

Stocks split for a reason.

Then imagine 100k for a bitcoin. Who in their right mind would pay that?

For bitcoin to become mainstream it would have to increase in value to like 100k or even a million, cause their just aren't enough bitcoins for it to be mainstream for the whole world of 7 billion.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real

Why not?  Huh

It's not like you have to count out a hundred satoshis by hand.

I really don't understand the fixation on the magnitude of amount used in payments. Most people will end up scanning QR codes in the end, right?

Because small numbers like that will confuse most people.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Why not?  Huh

It's not like you have to count out a hundred satoshis by hand.

I really don't understand the fixation on the magnitude of amount used in payments. Most people will end up scanning QR codes in the end, right?
Activity: 37
Merit: 0

Merit: 1217
If I could travel back in time, I will do something to eliminate the possibility of a 51% attack. It is not a concern now... but in future it can become one.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
if you could travel back to 2008, knowing what you know now, what fundamental changes (if any) would you make to the bitcoin system before it gets released to the wild?

I would ask Satoshi not to use "coin" in the name.
Faster transaction times, surely?
Activity: 280
I would contact Satoshi, then I will know who he, she or they are. Then make a movie about Bitcoin.  Grin
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
This guy has an idea how to prevent mining pools; NSAcoin lol , a coin that DDOS you every time you find a block

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-nsacoin-coming-soon-the-coin-that-ddoss-you-everytime-you-find-a-block-392535

But I suspect if anyone had implemented that in the past for bitcoin, BTC would have been history by now
Activity: 836
Merit: 1021
bits of proof
1. Define its protocol then implement tests of it then implement code that satisfies the tests in a modern programming language by a software engineer and produce documentation.

2. Isolate consensus engine from wallet mining and UI at best implemented in separate processes.

3. have a trusted communication channel (bus) instead of RPC.

4. Have a voting algorithm for hard forks.

5. use an industry standard message serialization e.g. BSON.

6. use regular 2 complement integers with fixed 32 bit length in the script language.

7. have  SIGHASH_WITHINPUTVALUE https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/sighashwithinputvalue-super-lightweight-hw-wallets-and-offline-data-181734

this is just a quick list ... completing this list should be point 0.
as i expect everyone else to say, i'd give myself some more  Grin

but yeah, possibly implement a way to prevent big mining pools from forming. the idea is decentralization after all.
Pages:
Jump to: