Pages:
Author

Topic: If your University had a supercomputer on campus... - page 2. (Read 5871 times)

Activity: 102
Merit: 10
It's called Theft.

Not a good idea.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
Pretty sure that clusters are firewalled and won't have public internet access.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
The supercomputer in our campus only allows 2048 cores for 24hrs max.
Considering a 7970 GPU contains 2048 shaders which are as good as cores...
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
The supercomputer in our campus only allows 2048 cores for 24hrs max.
Activity: 471
Merit: 256
Short answer: No.

Long answer: There are a couple of reasons why you would not want to do this, some technical, some legal. First thing, 60,000 cores would be a lot, but CPU mining is pretty insignificant compared to GPUs, and now ASICs. I'm gonna guess at 6-10MH/s per core, so you're looking at ~350GH/s to 600GH/s. This would be pretty nice! Not worth the power, tho. Then there are legal issues. If you're university is OK with you doing this, and they know what it is, then you're all set. If they don't know what you're doing, and they find out you're just stealing company hardware and consuming thousands of KWh worth of power, then you're in trouble. People have lost their jobs over stealing company power and using company equipment for BTC mining without consent, so I'd imagine a University wouldn't be all that different.

Perfect. Exactly this.

There was also a poster a while back who asked a similar question about all the desktop computers at his company as he apparently had Admin access. He was stupid enough to use the same username everywhere and was easily found on google for his real identity, matching his job that he described here. He was fired.

So if "get in trouble" means you will be kicked out of your courses, this is obviously not worth it.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
Short answer: No.

Long answer: There are a couple of reasons why you would not want to do this, some technical, some legal. First thing, 60,000 cores would be a lot, but CPU mining is pretty insignificant compared to GPUs, and now ASICs. I'm gonna guess at 6-10MH/s per core, so you're looking at ~350GH/s to 600GH/s. This would be pretty nice! Not worth the power, tho. Then there are legal issues. If you're university is OK with you doing this, and they know what it is, then you're all set. If they don't know what you're doing, and they find out you're just stealing company hardware and consuming thousands of KWh worth of power, then you're in trouble. People have lost their jobs over stealing company power and using company equipment for BTC mining without consent, so I'd imagine a University wouldn't be all that different.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Would you try and mine some BTC with it? I'm possibly weighing it up, probably get in trouble though...

I can look up the specs if you like but the thing has like 60,000 cores in it from memory. Not sure what the GPU would be like.
Pages:
Jump to: