Pages:
Author

Topic: Illegal Immigrants and Big Government - page 2. (Read 2800 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
May 02, 2012, 10:46:43 AM
That is how identify theft happens.

Sorry for the further down reply, but I only just now realized it. Are you seriously suggesting that illegals would go through the huge criminal risks of acquiring stolen identity, and then risk further exposure by using that identity just to cast one vote that in a larger scope will not make any difference anyway? Either you believe illegals REALLY love to vote despite their 1 or even 100 votes not having effect, or you didn't consider the risks involved with stealing identities and risk of being caught every time you use it. (Or you believe illegals vote in huge numbers using their stolen identities, and actually do affect election outcomes, in which case the evidence is against you)

Interesting seeing this topic today. This morning I read this blog post on the subject of immigration: http://athousandnations.com/2012/05/01/economics-and-emigration-trillion-dollar-bills-on-the-sidewalk/

Wow, very interesting read. Thank you!
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
May 02, 2012, 10:27:04 AM
It's indeed contradictory to support free markets and not support open immigration. From an economic point of view, immigration is "free commerce of labor". Exactly the same arguments that can be used to support free commerce apply to open immigration. The latter is just a specific instance of the former.

Interesting seeing this topic today. This morning I read this blog post on the subject of immigration: http://athousandnations.com/2012/05/01/economics-and-emigration-trillion-dollar-bills-on-the-sidewalk/
legendary
May 02, 2012, 09:21:42 AM
Let me know when they pay income tax, are eligible for the draft, and serve in juries, and you might have an argument you can stand on.  Even tourists pay sales tax and they go home  Roll Eyes

But it's Big Government™ that defines a certain class of people as "illegal" and then prevents or exempts them from doing those things. Plus, that's like saying "I'm against government forcefully fucking everyone, BUT when it comes to illegals, I am against them because they are an example of government NOT forcefully fucking everyone, and I WANT government to forcefully fuck EVERYONE." Is your argument really that it's unfair that Big Government decides whom it should fuck, then let's some people off the hook, and those people are to blame?
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
May 02, 2012, 03:15:53 AM
illegals... contribute to the economy

This is a tautology.  Can you say specifically what it is that illegals help to save?
Activity: 728
May 02, 2012, 02:43:37 AM
Yea, I didn't even notice I did that because stopped reading his at GOP and moved on down the thread. I just noticed it in yours because it came earlier in the sentence. Since that is the case, I agree your point is relevant. In the future I will make an effort to just stay out of these discussions.
Activity: 728
May 02, 2012, 02:34:31 AM
Maybe because it is Democrats that cater to illegal workers so that they would get their votes at the expense of tax paying Americans citizens who have the duties and obligations that illegals do not contribute to in any meaningful way.  Ever think of that?

I stop reading when I see the label "democrat' or "republican". More people should do this. Your point may be valid but if it is framed in partisanism you don't get it.
legendary
May 02, 2012, 02:29:52 AM
Maybe because it is Democrats that cater to illegal workers so that they would get their votes at the expense of tax paying Americans citizens who have the duties and obligations that illegals do not contribute to in any meaningful way.  Ever think of that?

Except you need to be a legal citizen to even register to vote... and that illegals pay sales, payroll, social security, and real estate (indirectly through rent) taxes... and illegals not only work and contribute to the economy, but even start their own businesses and hire legals...
legendary
May 02, 2012, 02:11:39 AM
So, here's a thought: Isn't the designation of "illegal" immigrant just Big Government regulating who can live where, and who can hire whom? Why aren't the GOP anti-government types realizing this? (I suspect, as with many things they believe, it's just being selectively hypocritical without realizing it)
Comments?
Pages:
Jump to: