Pages:
Author

Topic: I'm glad I didn't buy any more video cards, a 1080ti barley makes $1 a day - page 2. (Read 3005 times)

legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031
For example you mined emc2 at $2 bucks last quarter irs counts that as income right away the day it's mined. However emc2 is now .20 cents And your screwed.

I wish the IRS the best of luck trying to enforce that...

To the IRS your a criminal for mining if you don't report your earnings accurately or your hiding your mined coins,  According to them you will be faced with a 250k fine and be sent to prison for 5 years for not reporting or hiding your mined earnings of a buck a day for your 1080 ti.  LOL

Seriously hire an accountant, its not worth testing the irs,  They can audit your 5 years later for your past history.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-reminds-taxpayers-to-report-virtual-currency-transactions

"taxpayers could be subject to criminal prosecution for failing to properly report the income tax consequences of virtual currency transactions. Criminal charges could include tax evasion and filing a false tax return. Anyone convicted of tax evasion is subject to a prison term of up to five years and a fine of up to $250,000. Anyone convicted of filing a false return is subject to a prison term of up to three years and a fine of up to $250,000."

happy mining folks, Enjoy your pathetic profits or losses and risking on catching your house on fire and be sent to prison.

Ok FUDlord. I filed my taxes last week and paid my taxes on mining profits minus electricity costs and hardware. The IRS does not currently have much in the way of defining how crypto is to be taxed yet. So pay capital gains on your profits and it is done.

Mining is still profitable unless you are like lunobird who either is terrible at it or missed the bus on it and is just salty. Probably just trying to deter noobs to keep difficulty low.

Yep you did your taxes wrong, You need to re-file, The Irs does have clear definition on how crypto mining is taxed.  I suggest you hire an accountant and pay them some big bucks to fix your mess up.  Its considered income on the day its mined and addition taxed as capital gains  if you sell it.

As mentioned by got-miner and also a publication from the irs on guidelines
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf

"Q-8: Does a taxpayer who “mines” virtual currency (for example, uses computer
resources to validate Bitcoin transactions and maintain the public Bitcoin
transaction ledger) realize gross income upon receipt of the virtual currency
resulting from those activities?
A-8: Yes, when a taxpayer successfully “mines” virtual currency, the fair market value
of the virtual currency as of the date of receipt is includible in gross income. See
Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income, for more information on taxable
income.
Q-9: Is an individual who “mines” virtual currency as a trade or business subject
to self-employment tax on the income derived from those activities?
A-9: If a taxpayer’s “mining” of virtual currency constitutes a trade or business, and the
“mining” activity is not undertaken by the taxpayer as an employee, the net earnings
from self-employment (generally, gross income derived from carrying on a trade or
business less allowable deductions) resulting from those activities constitute selfemployment
income and are subject to the self-employment tax. See Chapter 10 of
Publication 334, Tax Guide for Small Business, for more information on selfemployment
tax and Publication 535, Business Expenses, for more information on
determining whether expenses are from a business activity carried on to make a profit. "

After reading around and watching some youtube videos I ended up finally incorporating my own business and then applying for S Corporation status with the IRS.  This has been really great.  First of all, it forced me to be more accountable for all expenses which are accounted for BEFORE paying any profit.  Also, profits up to a reasonable salary are paid as a salary which also counts as an expense!  Now, when you really get to be a baller miner and are bringing in so much of that crypto gold that you exceed a reasonable salary... let's say more than $80K (which is taxed at employment tax rates), then you pay yourself a distribution above and beyond the reasonable salary which is taxed at the higher capital gains rate.  

So for the year I mined before this, I just classified the business as sole proprietorship and accounted for expenses than paid taxes on capital gains.  The S Corp is a little more complicated but it pays off if you end up in a bull market situation or happen to be lucky enough to rake in huge profits on some moon coin.

edited to add:  I still use tax tracking programs (called bitcoin.tax) to have an accouting of coin values in case I get audited. 

Now... of course all this totally defeats the privacy nature of what we find so likeable about crypto currencies.  However, it is worth mentioning the same can be said for fiat.  But with crypto at least the privacy options are more technologically advanced and still possible to use privately for the tech savvy crypto dude.
Activity: 265
Merit: 11
This is astonisisng, but in the bad way.
Looks like mining has became industrialised. This means that ones in households cannot compete, if not for anything else, then the price of the electricity will surely make the difference.

1080ti is a really expensive card, I really hope you have other plans for it.
Activity: 123
Merit: 10
2016. was the year to get into mining. After that GPU prices went up and mining difficulty followed. Now GPU prices are still high along with the difficulty plus crypto prices are going down. There are no reasons anymore to become a small miner because you can earn more by buying cryptos now while they are at a "discount" and hodling. I see very many people selling their relatively new mining rigs.

I don't know were you live but GPU prices are not high any more check out new egg or Amazon or even Ebay you can get some nice deals in the US again on new GPU cards with or without rebates.

Well it's probably much cheaper for people who live in the U.S. because if you are importing those GPUs into Asia you get taxed, have to pay for shipping, and even don't get qualified for all those promos and rebates. Not to mention the risk of your ordered GPU breaking during shipment because warranty isn't valid (well at least non-technically because it's such a huge pain and cost to coordinate warranty for international orders).

OK cool if you don't live in the US I understand why the complaint Smiley .
Activity: 406
Merit: 110
2016. was the year to get into mining. After that GPU prices went up and mining difficulty followed. Now GPU prices are still high along with the difficulty plus crypto prices are going down. There are no reasons anymore to become a small miner because you can earn more by buying cryptos now while they are at a "discount" and hodling. I see very many people selling their relatively new mining rigs.

I don't know were you live but GPU prices are not high any more check out new egg or Amazon or even Ebay you can get some nice deals in the US again on new GPU cards with or without rebates.

Well it's probably much cheaper for people who live in the U.S. because if you are importing those GPUs into Asia you get taxed, have to pay for shipping, and even don't get qualified for all those promos and rebates. Not to mention the risk of your ordered GPU breaking during shipment because warranty isn't valid (well at least non-technically because it's such a huge pain and cost to coordinate warranty for international orders).

I don't expect AMD GPU's to sell at what 470 sold for when 470 came out ( to me that was a mistake AMD made)  but the 570 are pretty close 580's are at about what 480 sold for you have to look for the deals and there is lots of them .
I'm glad I didn't buy any more video cards, a 1080ti barley makes $1 a day

mining what ? . after costs like power because my 1070 TI makes before cost 1.68 to 2.00 mining raven coin,eth 1.42 a day 1070 ti.

I also power my house with solar so i guess that also matters.

You must mean after costs to run it ? .
Activity: 784
Merit: 282
Don't know about you guys in other countries but my 1080ti's do around $4+ dollars each day mining my secret coin. I understand some may be easily disheartened and quit when the slightest of profitability rates drop. However, what you must remember is that we are mining to speculate on future value and not the present value. Looking ahead, crypto is still young and once more  algos change or develop, GPUs will always have a place in the mining scene.
copper member
Activity: 195
Merit: 1
Vega56-64 still very usable in cryptonote/cryptonote-heavy algos Smiley)
Activity: 644
Merit: 24
The new rates for me.... $.044/kwh ! Cha-Ching more profit for me!

0.044 in MA? 

Indiana

In Indiana?  Is that residential?  I'm in central Indiana and I'm paying around 0.10.
Activity: 234
Merit: 2
Many people bought rigs ,were expecting to break even just on a few months while prices were surging but alt prices quickly started dropping. The profitability of cards hindered. Perhaps some could make profit by selling back cards but the market would be saturated in that case too. Profit altcoin mining is once again going down so all in all I don't think this trend is a reliable way to make money.
Ill bet thats what people were saying in 2016...and then the topout over 19k happened in Dec 2017.  YOU ONLY LOSE MONEY IF YOU SELL FOR LESS THAN WHAT IT COSTS YOU.  Just like playing in the stock market.  Your blah blah coin may not be worth alot right now but next month, 6 months, year, 2 years...
Activity: 504
Merit: 122
It depends how much you paid in your hardware/rig, how you mine and how much you pay for electricity.
I made a rig with $2000 and can earn around $450 minus electricity per month.

My problem is that my electricity is too high but i can move to near country that has very low electricity cost, maybe i will do it within some months.

0.044 in MA? 
Activity: 714
Merit: 512
Mining is still doing pretty well by me.

Counting absolute total cost of investment -- Computers, video cards, risers, electrical wiring, shelving, rooms fans, etc (literally everything I have bought for mining)... still getting 1/300th of total investment per day at todays prices. So in general forum terms less than 1-year ROI.

I got back in to mining about 15 months ago and have slowly built it all up so most of the stuff I have is actually already paid off... just looking at total cost / income as of today for the previous sentence.

If we see a bit of a bull market and things I am holding go back up a bit then it'll look even better.

I think if you are doing well, that is because you have cheap electricity price.

What do you consider cheap electricity?  Mine is 0.10 kwh and I was doing well even at lowest daily profitability this year.  Reason being, I don't sell coins daily or weekly or monthly.  The amount of coin my hardware mines only changes when new hash power is introduced to the network and difficulty increases.

I have $0.07 electricity -- doing quite well still, IMHO.
Mining is still doing pretty well by me.

Counting absolute total cost of investment -- Computers, video cards, risers, electrical wiring, shelving, rooms fans, etc (literally everything I have bought for mining)... still getting 1/300th of total investment per day at todays prices. So in general forum terms less than 1-year ROI.

I got back in to mining about 15 months ago and have slowly built it all up so most of the stuff I have is actually already paid off... just looking at total cost / income as of today for the previous sentence.

If we see a bit of a bull market and things I am holding go back up a bit then it'll look even better.

I think if you are doing well, that is because you have cheap electricity price.

What do you consider cheap electricity?  Mine is 0.10 kwh and I was doing well even at lowest daily profitability this year.  Reason being, I don't sell coins daily or weekly or monthly.  The amount of coin my hardware mines only changes when new hash power is introduced to the network and difficulty increases.
Hopefully OP didn't overpay for the ti and is doing due diligence when selecting coin to mine as barely making a dollar a day seems to be on the very rather low end.
Even pointing it to nicehash would bring him more then 1$ per day so its not that hard for now,long are gone days with 20$ per card without having to look thru coins what to mine.There are still coins that brings solid profits mining them but now you need to invest time to find them

You mean mining and dumping shitcoins.

If you consider all coins other than btc, eth, and ltc a shitcoin, then yes, exactly!
Simply create a LLC. Expense all of your electricity and hardware.

Continue to mine, save up as many coins as you can knowing that you will have to pay your taxes on what you mine and when you sell.

However it is still easy to mine and make money.

It isn't necessary to create a LLC to deduct your electrical, internet connection, dedicated mining room square footage, hardware costs, and any other costs associated with mining.  In the United States, it's done on a 1040 Schedule C.
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
Even my 1060 makes $1.15 per day with the Nice Hash DaggerHashimoto pool. My 1080 Ti makes almost $2.80 mining Ravencoin on another pool. Ravencoin isn't even at the top of WhatToMine's list right now, so you could easily make closer to $3 with the coins listed there.

If you do some digging elsewhere, you can probably make $4 or more per day.
Activity: 141
Merit: 4
ethereum is a fork of ethereum classic.
Hopefully OP didn't overpay for the ti and is doing due diligence when selecting coin to mine as barely making a dollar a day seems to be on the very rather low end.
Even pointing it to nicehash would bring him more then 1$ per day so its not that hard for now,long are gone days with 20$ per card without having to look thru coins what to mine.There are still coins that brings solid profits mining them but now you need to invest time to find them

You mean mining and dumping shitcoins.
Pages:
Jump to: