Pages:
Author

Topic: I'm the unluckiest lucky person in the world - page 2. (Read 3540 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1
Also, that probability will still throw huge gains at an agent, followed by an equally brutal dearth of gains, over time.

Look at the incredible luck MtRed mining pool had early on.  They're likely in for a long walk of shame when few/no blocks show up for an entire difficulty tier...

If I am not mistaken bitcoin probability is independent from round to round.

You're mistaken. It doesn't matter if each round is discreet. Our probability will always reach a natural distribution.

Unless someone trapped the hashing equivalent of Maxwell's Demon inside one of their GPUs...

Yes, but it is just like rolling a die. The probability will reach a natural distribution, but just because you got three 6's in a row doesn't mean that you are more likely to go on a stretch without 6's in the future.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Also, that probability will still throw huge gains at an agent, followed by an equally brutal dearth of gains, over time.

Look at the incredible luck MtRed mining pool had early on.  They're likely in for a long walk of shame when few/no blocks show up for an entire difficulty tier...

You're mistaken. It doesn't matter if each round is discreet. Our probability will always reach a natural distribution.

Unless someone trapped the hashing equivalent of Maxwell's Demon inside one of their GPUs...

You aren't mistaken. The original poster was probably just talking in karmic terms.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

So I did the math and given difficulty increases, I was fairly confidant that I would never solve a block with my current hashing power. Working with a pool I expected the limit of bitcoins I would ever make would be between 25 and 35. It seemed that if I solo mined, there was a > 70% chance that I would never solve a single block.

And then I hit one. I was thinking, oh man, guess I got lucky, too bad, hindsight, still unlikely blah blah blah. And then I hit another one...

So now I could have mined 100+ bitcoins, but instead I'll only ever mine about 30. Luck is a cruel, cruel mistress. I still think I made the right choice... maybe.

Actually I think there's a fairly simple explanation for this.

The only way the mining pools can tell if you're cheating them is by randomly sending you a range of work to solve that they already know contains a coin and make sure that you actually find it. Perhaps they do this more frequently when you first join the pool.

I thought mining pool could simply check the nonce I send with their block hash to ensure it is a valid share (at the minimum difficulty), proving that I'm doing work. I don't think they need such tricks.
Activity: 84
So I did the math and given difficulty increases, I was fairly confidant that I would never solve a block with my current hashing power. Working with a pool I expected the limit of bitcoins I would ever make would be between 25 and 35. It seemed that if I solo mined, there was a > 70% chance that I would never solve a single block.

And then I hit one. I was thinking, oh man, guess I got lucky, too bad, hindsight, still unlikely blah blah blah. And then I hit another one...

So now I could have mined 100+ bitcoins, but instead I'll only ever mine about 30. Luck is a cruel, cruel mistress. I still think I made the right choice... maybe.

The only way the mining pools can tell if you're cheating them is by randomly sending you a range of work to solve that they already know contains a coin and make sure that you actually find it. Perhaps they do this more frequently when you first join the pool.

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

Activity: 112
Murphy's law: If you would have gone solo, you would have not founded them.
+666
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
Murphy's law: If you would have gone solo, you would have not founded them.

Pages:
Jump to: