Pages:
Author

Topic: I'm thinking of running a topic starting contest for non-english speakers. - page 2. (Read 550 times)

copper member
Activity: 2562
Merit: 2510
Spear the bees
If this is not a problem, I would recommend discussion about Bitcoin regarding its technology (perhaps something with scalability).

Scalability isn't easy topic and heated discussion/ideology clash will happen because there are many different perspective. Something easier such as multi-signature and seed/mnemonic would be better.
Heated discussion? Conflicting perspectives? Perfect! Isn't that the purpose of discussion? I don't see a problem with showing others different reasons when it comes to something this important in the crypto-space.

By divulging ideas to one another, we in turn change the way we think. There shouldn't be a fear of politick.
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2472
https://JetCash.com
The plan is to work on the translation in the Fit to Talk project - rather like the post created by Dr Gomez. You only need English language speakers to work with the original topic creator. Google translate can work for an initial translation, and then the results can be improved where they are inaccurate or misleading.

I realise that most of my merit awarding is no longer general, and this was the motivation for starting this project. I'm particularly interested in helping Flying Hellfish in his efforts to turn the political board into a "mature" discussion arena.

The manipulation of the poll was one of my concerns, and I must check to see if voting can be attributed to member names.
copper member
Activity: 2562
Merit: 2510
Spear the bees
Lots of your topics seem to require a degree of depth in the knowledge of a language to properly discuss (without dumbing it down too much). If this is not a problem, I would recommend discussion about Bitcoin regarding its technology (perhaps something with scalability).

Far too many individuals have an uninformed perspective on how the system functions/should function (i.e. free transactions, larger block size, how mining works, etc.) and I believe that it is critical to make some of the knowledge more widespread. I have seen far too many people ask how signing a message works, what a node is, etc. (on this forum, no less)
Once 5 threads have been started, then I will open a poll for the community to decide which one is the best, and the winner will receive an additional 25 merits.
Poll can be spoil by bots that's why I think that the winner should be chosen by trusted members.
That, or replies to a central thread would work. Have it self-modded to disincentivize spam.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1654
Rêlêå§ê ¥ðµr MïñÐ
Once 5 threads have been started, then I will open a poll for the community to decide which one is the best, and the winner will receive an additional 25 merits.
Poll can be spoil by bots that's why I think that the winner should be chosen by trusted members.
Activity: 80
Merit: 71

What do BT members think of the idea, and would you change any of the suggestions?

I think you should say that it is going to be done through the Fit to Talk project, or it isn't??
Besides, the languages we have in the FTT project, for now, are Filipino, Spanish and Japanese? Or there are other ones in the FTT project I am not aware of?

Also, the rules are not clear to me. Are we going to ask the users to try to make their own translation and then help them to improve them, as usual?

Anyway, the topics are interesting and it looks nice to me, just maybe we are taking for granted some information that should be included in the initial post!!! Let's see what happens!!!!
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
I'm having real problems in discovering meritable posts, and I'd like to run a discussion starting contest for members who don't have English as their first language. Participants would need to create a good discussion topic in their own language,  and I/We will help them to translate this into English for them to post in the Bitcoin Talk forum. I will guarantee at least 5 merits if the post is accepted and taken through to final posting. Once 5 threads have been started, then I will open a poll for the community to decide which one is the best, and the winner will receive an additional 25 merits.

Topics should be suitable for posting on one of the following boards -

Beginners
Political
Serious Discussion
I may also consider Bitcoin discussion and Technical.

Topics will need to be fairly serious and of good quality, and examples would be

El Petro and its impact on Venezuela and the world economy
The use of crypto currencies in countries suffering from hyperinflation
Your early experiences with Bitcoin
Crypto currency as an alternative to bonds as the stock market collapses.
Everyday living in a country with a failed fiat currency.
Crypto-currencies as a means of wealth transfer durng migration.
and many other similar topics that I am sure you can use as a basis for discussion.

What do BT members think of the idea, and would you change any of the suggestions?

The idea is not bad, but I think problems can occur when translating from original language to English. In order to translate such post you need to know user language very good, otherwise the translation may look as if it was used Google Translate. The only way this really works in terms of translation is to have one or more users from every local board who know English very good or excellent.

What I'm still interested in how many posts would be allowed per user? Someone who is in the signature campaign could use this to write posts in his local language and others translate that to excellent English posts. Maybe solution for this problem would be to allow only boards which are generally not counted in most signature campaigns.

Regarding your problem with meritable posts, I notice that most of your posts are in Meta board and some in Politics/Beginners - I am sure there is some post worthy of merit, but it takes time to look at every board.
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2472
https://JetCash.com
I'm having real problems in discovering meritable posts, and I'd like to run a discussion starting contest for members who don't have English as their first language. Participants would need to create a good discussion topic in their own language,  and I/We will help them to translate this into English for them to post in the Bitcoin Talk forum. I will guarantee at least 5 merits if the post is accepted and taken through to final posting. Once 5 threads have been started, then I will open a poll for the community to decide which one is the best, and the winner will receive an additional 25 merits.

Topics should be suitable for posting on one of the following boards -

Beginners
Political
Serious Discussion
I may also consider Bitcoin discussion and Technical.

Topics will need to be fairly serious and of good quality, and examples would be

El Petro and its impact on Venezuela and the world economy
The use of crypto currencies in countries suffering from hyperinflation
Your early experiences with Bitcoin
Crypto currency as an alternative to bonds as the stock market collapses.
Everyday living in a country with a failed fiat currency.
Crypto-currencies as a means of wealth transfer durng migration.
and many other similar topics that I am sure you can use as a basis for discussion.

Pages:
Jump to: