Pages:
Author

Topic: Imagine I'm the average Joe. Sell me on the following. - page 2. (Read 365 times)

Activity: 2814
Merit: 911
Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe
If I'm the average adult and I don't know about: Bitcoin, how fiat and our modern financial system work.
Sell me on: why banks/fiat are bad and why Bitcoin is the solution.

So first: why are the banks/fiat bad?

Second: How does Bitcoin fix this?

Third: What would make the average consumer care?
1.No one is claiming that fiat and banks are bad. You need to have a cohesive connection between fiat as well as the bitcoin network. For example if you want to send money abroad or trade it is a task, there is conversion and transaction charges, bitcoin can do that easy any where in the world.

2. As I said above bitcoin will cut those delay and hurdles for international traders.

3. What an average consumer needs is the safety of their hard earned savings and we need more development in that aspect in bitcoin. This is a new technology with time you will see more solutions and questions. Wink
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 2148
1. Banks are selling your data to advertisers and maybe even other interested parties. Also they may share your data with your government.

2. People usually say that Bitcoin also has bad privacy, but you can use mixing, Lightning Network, use Bitcoin to buy Monero when needed. There are also some improvements under way.

3. People don't care much about privacy today, but awareness is growing, people install adblocks, anti-tracking extensions, many consider target ads invasive and creepy. The more people feel watched, the more chances they will use Bitcoin.
Activity: 3
Merit: 0

Not bad for the first topic to answer here.

1. Banks are fine, the government is not.
2. The only fix, in my opinion, is the anonymity.
3. It's hard to shift from the current financial system.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

Fiat is inflationary. It's far too tied to government politics.
In most countries, on short term (from earning the money until it's spent) the consumer won't see much of a difference. But there are countries (Venezuela is the top example) where the local currency is a bad joke.
In such countries people can probably buy US Dollar for safety if it's available. Bitcoin is another option.
On long term, even in US one can see that the value of money is decreasing slowly (inflation). Bitcoin is deflationary and should "fix" that, because it's designed to be deflationary.

Yes, I know, this may sound fake in a bearish market, but .. if you look at the averages, you'll see this.
And in the days the markets turns bullish, Bitcoin is also a good investment (although quite risky, tbh).

Average consumer? Well, for now the "history" has shown that the average consumer couldn't care less. He jumps in when everybody shows Bitcoin rising, then, when the rise ends, he will sell, possibly on profit, possibly not. The technology that allows you send anywhere millions of Dollars worth of Bitcoin for the fee of a few cents, the deflationary nature (max 21M Bitcoin ever and clearly some do lose their money forever), the fact that more and more merchants start accepting Bitcoin for their goods/services, like any other proper coin, these are not important for many, unfortunately.
qwk
donator
Activity: 3542
Merit: 3413
Shitcoin Minimalist
1. they aren't.
2. it doesn't.
3. he wouldn't.

Honestly, those are all valid and true answers, but I guess you're missing the point here.
Bitcoin offers an alternative and/or complement to the traditional technological finance paradigm, which is basically a continuation of methods developed in early renaissance Italy, ca. 1400-1600.
How and wether Bitcoin's new paradigm will work for consumers and/or against traditional institutions' established business models, is an unanswered question, and part of a large-scale experiment that started on January 3. 2009.

We'll see.
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
If I'm the average adult and I don't know about: Bitcoin, how fiat and our modern financial system work.
Sell me on: why banks/fiat are bad and why Bitcoin is the solution.

Much of the discussion regarding this just consists of buzz words, regurgitated sound bites and cliché talking points.

(Climate change, obesity and corruption are all massive problems but in a world full of distractions,
no one really gives a shit) Bitcoin has a bit of a PR problem in regards to how the community and developers are going to
make the average consumer give a flying fuck about decentralization. Also keep in mind that most people are
willing to pay middle men if it gives them piece of mind and they don't have to question the world around them
and wrap their brain around new technology.

The first two are ten times easier than the third in my opinion, I'd appreciate replies to be free of jargon, sure most
people on this forum are going to understand you but they're not the ones you need to convince, it's the small
business owner, the person who shops online and the person with a savings account

Cheers.
Pages:
Jump to: