Pages:
Author

Topic: Immersed T17 has high chip temperature - page 2. (Read 311 times)

Activity: 544
Merit: 589
I have noticed in the past when comparing Brains, Vnish, and stock firmware all running fixed frequency and identical conditions that Brains reports temperatures close to 10degC higher than stock or Vnish on the 17 series miners. Also, stock firmware on the T17 has a temperature target of 80 deg C, so if Brains is telling you 90, you are probably pretty much right on target.
Activity: 29
Merit: 16
I don't understand how a 1.4kw S9 is 65C and a 500W increase in a T17 shoots chip temperature to almost 90C!

It's not just the extra 500w, the number of chips on both gears are different, the chips themselves are different, and the way they attach the heatsinks on each of these models is totally different, you can only make this comparison between two S9s running at different hashrate.

But to be honest with you, I think there is something wrong with your setup, I mean even the 68C on S9 seems too high for immersion cooling, maybe it's the 30c temp outside that is causing this, you are going to need a bigger radiator and a larger pump.

Also, keep in mind that the T17 runs a bit hot by default, also the heatsinks are "loosely" attached and depending on what type of liquid you are using, the heatsinks might just come off at any second, with that in mind, 90C isn't the end of the world, your board temps show 51c, the max is  75c, this gear will die soon anyway, so I wouldn't even bother, just mine on.

Hi Mike, Thanks for your valuable input.
I too wasn't happy with S9 readings. I invested alot in this setup. The radiator is a 24x24" wood stove heat exchanger that many miners use to operate two S19s (rated for 6,000W), hooked up to a 3,000 CFM ventilation fan.I installed the radiator and the fan to an A/C hole to push hot air out and keep the room cool. The pump is also a March MDX that I've got after miners have recommended it. The tank is designed for S1X/T1X models with two chambers and a flowplate.

This T17 is the upgraded version (reinforced), I got it from China for $1,000. They have sent me a confirmation video showing the machine running and it was giving 42T with max temp 80C on air. That's what's triggering me. It worked fine on Air but not on immersion ( I couldn't even get it to 35T by immersion)

I don't know what's wrong with my setup, I've put serious money into this setup and spent 6 months building simple setups before I got to this stage, and unfortunately, the result is not exciting.

Here's my setup https://imgur.com/a/LFZIk8E, if you're interested to give your two cents.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
I don't understand how a 1.4kw S9 is 65C and a 500W increase in a T17 shoots chip temperature to almost 90C!

It's not just the extra 500w, the number of chips on both gears are different, the chips themselves are different, and the way they attach the heatsinks on each of these models is totally different, you can only make this comparison between two S9s running at different hashrate.

But to be honest with you, I think there is something wrong with your setup, I mean even the 68C on S9 seems too high for immersion cooling, maybe it's the 30c temp outside that is causing this, you are going to need a bigger radiator and a larger pump.

Also, keep in mind that the T17 runs a bit hot by default, also the heatsinks are "loosely" attached and depending on what type of liquid you are using, the heatsinks might just come off at any second, with that in mind, 90C isn't the end of the world, your board temps show 51c, the max is  75c, this gear will die soon anyway, so I wouldn't even bother, just mine on.
Activity: 29
Merit: 16
Hello,
I could not wrap my head around how weird this is.
I have an immersion setup sized for 6,000Watts. I got an S9 to test things out and was able to hash at 16T drawing 1.4kW with chip temperature 65-68C. Never exceeding 70C.

I felt confident enough with my setup to get a T17 42t, with Braiins installed, it's currently sitting at 1.9kw with chip temperature in late 80C.

Ambient temp is 30C, fluid inlet temp is 45C.

Here is an image showing both settings for S9 and T17:

https://imgur.com/a/P7MKyfE

Here's my setup https://imgur.com/a/LFZIk8E

Could it be something about T17 sensors? My setup is oversized for this kind of power consumption!
Pages:
Jump to: