Pages:
Author

Topic: Improve draft feature, seriously! - page 2. (Read 411 times)

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
January 27, 2019, 04:56:44 AM
For a draft to get filled up you need to be creating an average of 14.3 previews daily for a week so if that's the case then you need to slow down and get some rest.
My oldest Draft is this one:
Code:
[b]Reserved for historic overview[/b]
1. http://loyce.club/trust/2019-01-25_Fri_22.33h
2. http://loyce.club/trust/2019-01-26_Sat_12.14h

(time and date are taken the moment I process the data (Amsterdam time), the data comes from the previous Saturday morning)
That was less than 21 hours ago.

A solution would be to increase the 100 drafts to 1000 drafts.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1174
Always remember the cause!
January 27, 2019, 04:52:59 AM
I think some tweaks would be very helpful:
1- Don't keep multiple drafts for a subject (post/pm) just keep the latest version.

There's a reason it's called a draft (preliminary stage of a written) sometimes you may want to recover your previous writing and with the draft that can be made possible. I once wrote a topic them preview it later I decided to edit my post before posting to make it more informative. I ended up deleting my last two paragraphs and when I preview again the sentences I added, sounded so dumb to me and I needed my old work back.  The draft because very useful and I got my previous work back so I don't support this suggestion of only keeping the latest preview.

For a draft to get filled up you need to be creating an average of 14.3 previews daily for a week so if that's the case then you need to slow down and get some rest.  No offends OP
Not taken.
14.3 is nothing, I do a lot of edits and 7 days is nonsense.
For a serious writer it is completely possible to suspend writing a post for a while for may reasons, doing more research, finding some lost reference material, carrying out some calculations, re-thinking some points, ... it is more important use-case compared to simple redo. A compromise would be keeping a maximum of 3 last versions and removing the 7 days window for new posts/topics that are not committed yet.

I copy long posts to a file once in a while when long posts take a lot of time.
It's also useful if I ever mess it up editing later.

My Firefox usually restores open editing too when I restart it.
Have you checked your browser cache for a copy of your work?
You are right many browsers support restore feature but it doesn't work properly always and without it you get nothing.  
Activity: 1659
Merit: 687
LoyceV on the road. Or couch.
January 27, 2019, 04:21:49 AM
I copy long posts to a file once in a while when long posts take a lot of time.
It's also useful if I ever mess it up editing later.

My Firefox usually restores open editing too when I restart it.
Have you checked your browser cache for a copy of your work?
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 4133
eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.
January 27, 2019, 04:10:29 AM
1- Don't keep multiple drafts for a subject (post/pm) just keep the latest version.

There's a reason it's called a draft (preliminary stage of a written) sometimes you may want to recover your previous writing and with the draft that can be made possible. I once wrote a topic them preview it later I decided to edit my post before posting to make it more informative. I ended up deleting my last two paragraphs and when I preview again the sentences I added, sounded so dumb to me and I needed my old work back.  The draft because very useful and I got my previous work back so I don't support this suggestion of only keeping the latest preview.

For a draft to get filled up you need to be creating an average of 14.3 previews daily for a week so if that's the case then you need to slow down and get some rest.  No offends OP
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1174
Always remember the cause!
January 27, 2019, 03:54:55 AM
I just lost like one hundred lines of text including a data sheet I was preparing to start a new topic in development & technical subforum because of the naive way the draft feature is implemented with.

I don't use other word processors when I'm posting here no matter how long and sophisticated is my post and takes how much time or effort to write it down and it puts me in danger of losing my content and to mitigate it I regularly use preview button because it is supposed to save a draft of my work in progress but when it comes to a sophisticated post that takes days to be ready things get more risky and you need to re-preview your work because of this:
Drafts are saved whenever you preview or post a topic, post, or PM. Up to 100 drafts are kept. Drafts are deleted after 7 days.

Fair enough, 100 drafts is not bad and automation is great idea but the implementation is a joke and put me in a huge trouble. It turned out that they mean it when they say whenever.  Cheesy

WHENEVER you push postor preview  bottoms you get a draft and if you push this several times on the same subject (a post or a pm) you get one more and (it is really stupid) you can easily make 100 copies of the same thing saved as draft and because you can't have more than 100 drafts, you lose drafts of your works in progress.

It is what happened to me the other night when after a crash I tried to recover my work using this feature and I found that I've pushed post/preview buttons on few other posts too much (multiple edits) and I have a lot of stupid versions of same posts and I don't have any draft of my actual work in progress because of the pile of garbage this feature has produced and buried what I actually need as draft.

2- Don't generate drafts for post operation.

Pages:
Jump to: