Pages:
Author

Topic: In an AnCap society, would it be possible to eat your children? - page 2. (Read 4571 times)

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1080
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
Fetuses violate the NAP as trespass on the woman's body. It's ethical to remove them.

Well, that's an interesting interpretation.
It's correct. Most people recognize the concepts here, but they have a blind spot when it comes to abortion for some reason. (Religious or cultural, I suspect.)

For example, we don't compel parents to donate a kidney even if it is needed to save their child's life. We allow parents to choose to value their bodily integrity higher than their children's lives if that is their wish. We recognize that no living thing has any "right" to violate the bodily integrity of another living thing against its wishes. It doesn't matter what rights the fetus has to life or to be left alone -- no such right takes priority over another's right to physical, bodily integrity.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
Maybe I'm unclear on who 'He' is, with regard to the one who intervenes. If 'He' is the guy who discovers the parent doing the child abuse, then my question is how that results in saving the child. We must assume that 'He' could intervene, or not intervene. We would like both choices (intervening, and not intervening) to result in saving the child. In a society with laws and child services, 'He' merely needs to report the event, without burdening him with hiring a defense agency, which costs money, and can be a deterrent to getting the child to safety.

Ahh. So you would like for both "taking responsibility" and "not taking responsibility" to result in favorable outcomes. Sorry, the world doesn't work that way.

Actually, the world currently does work that way. You're the one who wants to put the cost of saving the child onto the person who discovers the abuse, rather than removing the responsibility from the discoverer and transferring it to the public as a whole.

I'd hardly call the current state to be resulting in favorable outcomes. Abuse happens with stunning regularity, and goes unreported. False reports break up families, or minimally, clog an already overburdened monopoly system. The reason for this? People don't take responsibility.

Ah, so you're bringing the argument around full circle (as is your trademark). I already provided that response. It's here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1179821

Instead of going in a circle, try to move forward. Please demonstrate a solution that is more, not less.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
Maybe I'm unclear on who 'He' is, with regard to the one who intervenes. If 'He' is the guy who discovers the parent doing the child abuse, then my question is how that results in saving the child. We must assume that 'He' could intervene, or not intervene. We would like both choices (intervening, and not intervening) to result in saving the child. In a society with laws and child services, 'He' merely needs to report the event, without burdening him with hiring a defense agency, which costs money, and can be a deterrent to getting the child to safety.

Ahh. So you would like for both "taking responsibility" and "not taking responsibility" to result in favorable outcomes. Sorry, the world doesn't work that way.

Actually, the world currently does work that way. You're the one who wants to put the cost of saving the child onto the person who discovers the abuse, rather than removing the responsibility from the discoverer and transferring it to the public as a whole.

I'd hardly call the current state to be resulting in favorable outcomes. Abuse happens with stunning regularity, and goes unreported. False reports break up families, or minimally, clog an already overburdened monopoly system. The reason for this? People don't take responsibility.

Fetuses violate the NAP as trespass on the woman's body. It's ethical to remove them.

Well, that's an interesting interpretation.

He could always intervene himself.

Explain. Provide an example. Demonstrate how 'could', and the opposite choice, 'could not' both result in getting the job done. 

Your question is unclear. I'd be glad to provide an example, but I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Activity: 575
The North Remembers
"Justice Company"

Activity: 588
firstbits.com/1kznfw
The children should have thought of that risk before deciding not to get insurance  Grin

Serious question: abortion. How would you deal with it?

Assuming that that a justice company comes to the "wrong" conclusion, and starts protecting innocent fetuses from violence / starts protecting the choice and own-body-ownership of innocent women, how would you deal with that?

Explain. Provide an example. Demonstrate how 'could', and the opposite choice, 'could not' both result in getting the job done. 

Your question is unclear. I'd be glad to provide an example, but I'm not sure what you're looking for.

So you're saying that the party that discovers the abuse just happens to have to be the party willing to undertake the necessary fees required to hire the defense agency? That sucks.

You're just one big collectivist minefield, aren't ya?

Please identify to me significant statistical results demonstrating that a "look the other way" policy does in fact provide a solution to rescue the child from further abuse and I might be inclined to give some credence to your attempts to smear the notion that laws have no effect.

Please quote where any of us said that looking the other way is the solution.

It is in fact implicit in AnCap, unless I am mistaken. Otherwise, explain the solution.

You are mistaken.

Could you hire a defense company to intervene in a conflict you are not part of, to protect for example children, the uninsured, the mentally handicapped or demented elderly?

In a word, yes. It may end up in a rather hairy arbitration, but in general, you can defend a third party, and by extension, can delegate that ability.

So you're saying that the party that discovers the abuse just happens to have to be the party willing to undertake the necessary fees required to hire the defense agency? That sucks.
Please identify to me significant statistical results demonstrating that a "look the other way" policy does in fact provide a solution to rescue the child from further abuse and I might be inclined to give some credence to your attempts to smear the notion that laws have no effect.

It is in fact implicit in AnCap, unless I am mistaken. Otherwise, explain the solution.

You are mistaken.

Could you hire a defense company to intervene in a conflict you are not part of, to protect for example children, the uninsured, the mentally handicapped or demented elderly?

In a word, yes. It may end up in a rather hairy arbitration, but in general, you can defend a third party, and by extension, can delegate that ability.
legendary
Activity: 947
Merit: 1008
central banking = outdated protocol
Don't government's Keynesian fiscal policies effectively "eat your children" by placing ever increasing debt upon them?  

Refusing to address the question of whether or not laws are effective at stopping child abuse and instead insinuating that anyone who asks the question supports child abuse is despicable behavior and I will not dignify what you're doing by pretending it's a debate.

I'm not aware of any society statistically significant and so morally corrupt and uncaring that there are not laws with regard to preventing child abuse, and so therefore, would never make the claim that they are not effective. I do know for a fact that in societies with laws dealing with horrific child abuse, judicial action does make an attempt to remove the child from the harmful relationship.

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
Refusing to address the question of whether or not laws are effective at stopping child abuse and instead insinuating that anyone who asks the question supports child abuse is despicable behavior and I will not dignify what you're doing by pretending it's a debate.
I would answer that if it was a bona fide question instead of a smear attempt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dichotomy

It's like all the libertarians who think environmentalism is about control and power grabs. So wrong, and so mislead they are. Environmentalism has its roots in scientists identifying and compiling facts about the environment - nothing more sinister than that.

Addressing the issues of child abuse has nothing to do with smear attempts. It's about making sure children aren't abused. Nothing more sinister than that.

Neither of these things - taken alone - are sinister.

It's the fact that your conclusion is "Therefor: Government" that's the problem.
Pages:
Jump to: