Pages:
Author

Topic: In case of a 51% attack, can the damage be reverted? - page 3. (Read 844 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1174
Always remember the cause!
You can revert block mined with 51+% hashrate, but you can't reverse the damage (such as merchants who suffer losses from double-spend attack).

But this requires agreement of community (or at least pools) to reverse/rollback blocks and can't be done automatically/without human intervention.
50%+1 attack could be carried out for cheating exchanges and merchants who are not cautious enough to wait for more confirmations and release their assets for the attacker who is able to revert the chain back and re-write it with blocks that don't include the transaction he has convinced the victim wit and instead confirm an alternative transaction that spends the output and makes the original one useless.

It is a short range attack, the new chain is valid and has no breach other than being selective about few pairs of competing double spend transactions in favor of the attacker. There is no way to invalidate such a brand new chain and restore the old one (without a hard fork).

Good News:
Third parties could always mitigate this scam schema by waiting for more confirmations when they are committing to high stake transactions. The smartest approach would be calculating the attack cost which is linearly dependent on the range of attack and comparing it to the stakes involved and choosing to wait for more confirmations relatively.

Note that a long range 50%+1 attack is impractical and won't e carried out in real world because the attacker will ruin the coin under consideration by such an attack while spending too much resources (electricity, rents, ...) it turns the whole purpose of the attack to be void.

legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
I see. But doesn't rolling back blocks also roll back transactions? If the blocks get rolled back to the one BEFORE I made a transaction, wouldn't that mean I would get my money back while the other party would be at loss?

With rollback you erase a chunk of the history. And yes, that means all the transactions included in that block / those blocks.
Luckily Bitcoin network is strong enough to make 51% attack too expensive to worth it, because the rollback is a nightmare and really nobody would consent to support it.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1598
You can revert block mined with 51+% hashrate, but you can't reverse the damage (such as merchants who suffer losses from double-spend attack).

But this requires agreement of community (or at least pools) to reverse/rollback blocks and can't be done automatically/without human intervention.

I see. But doesn't rolling back blocks also roll back transactions? If the blocks get rolled back to the one BEFORE I made a transaction, wouldn't that mean I would get my money back while the other party would be at loss?
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1598
Hi! I'm not a new guy around here - been in this space for half a decade now. However, I do still have some questions and one of them is about the case of a 51% attack on the Bitcoin network.

Say some hackers somehow get the control of more than 51% of the BTC network. I guess this isn't impossible as there have already been a few tries and if we consider the fact that a few miners own +51% of the mining power, a hacker has only a few targets to hit in order to control the mining power.

Now this is the way I see it. I might be wrong about anything I wrote above and if I am, please someone point me toward the right direction.

If what I said is possible someone gets to control the mining power and does damage to the network.. can this be reversed when the big miners get back in control? IIRC, something similar happened way back when Bitcoin was in its first years and someone got in control of some Bitcoins they shouldn't have been in control of, and this was reversed through a Bitcoin Client update or something like that.

So, in case of a 51% attack... is it possible to reverse the damage?
Pages:
Jump to: