Pages:
Author

Topic: Infinite Bitcoin divisibility vs unlimited Fiat supply - page 2. (Read 843 times)

legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1072
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
Again - that does not make anything "infinite" which was the point of my post (please don't ignore the point and go off on a tangent).

If you're not interested in having meaningful technical discussion in your topic then I'll simply refrain from posting in it.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
People who brag about "infinite divisibility" don't know anything about computer software (thus they can be safely ignored).

It would be possible to extend Bitcoin's divisibility but that would still be "finite" (and in fact it could be extended by a few extra decimals without even changing the 64 bit data type).

I guess you are not quite correct about this. You can extend Bitcoin's divisibility both up and down (actually, left and right). And if there is a technical limit to extend it to the right (i.e. by adding more decimal places), there is no limit to extending it to the left, (i.e. by denominating Bitcoin). The latter means that instead of 21M Bitcoins you will have, for example, 21M mBitcoins...

Thereby, you are essentially adding three additional decimal places
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1072
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
People who brag about "infinite divisibility" don't know anything about computer software (thus they can be safely ignored). Computers can't do anything infinitely apart from "loop" (which is often what people might refer to as seeing an application "freeze").

It would be possible to extend Bitcoin's divisibility but that would still be "finite" (and in fact it could be extended by a few extra decimals without even changing the 64 bit data type).

If satoshis really became valuable in the far future (and not just considered as dust) then perhaps this would happen, however, I very much doubt this is going to happen in the near future.

(this post is to just clarify that "infinite" is the wrong word to be using)
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
It suddenly struck me that Bitcoin infinite divisibility (which Bitcoin fanboys often brag about) has virtually the same effect as the fiat unlimited supply in respect to making the rich even richer while the poor poorer in the long run...

Let's assume that Bitcoin has become the universal currency for the sake of simplicity
Pages:
Jump to: