Pages:
Author

Topic: [INFO] Is NGC now grading physical cryptos? - page 2. (Read 498 times)

legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3002
September 13, 2023, 02:44:12 PM
I was never a fan of NGC's slabs. They look like the cheap $1 holders you can buy on Ebay (see below), with their printed card inserted with details of coin and heated to secure closed. As Mopar mentioned, appear very easy to crack.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295449901522

No, they absolutely can’t be opened easily. They are well crafted slabs that are as air tight as any.
Activity: 1113
Merit: 265
Byzantine Generals' Problem solved,Prosperity Next
September 13, 2023, 02:24:01 PM
It could be they are all in now, however, I believe all graders have been willing to grade these Chad coins, and Niue coins too, for a long time. I think they do not categorize these as physical bitcoins, but rather country issued coins. PCGS, which thankfully is all in for physical bitcoins now, graded these Chad and Niue coins before actually making a business decision to actually grade physical bitcoins.
Activity: 1719
Merit: 190
X/Twitter @MarkD_509 ; Facebook: @509bitcointrader
September 13, 2023, 01:28:15 PM
I was never a fan of NGC's slabs. They look like the cheap $1 holders you can buy on Ebay (see below), with their printed card inserted with details of coin and heated to secure closed. As Mopar mentioned, appear very easy to crack.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295449901522
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 2195
EIN: 82-3893490
September 13, 2023, 12:58:32 PM
I haven't tried it but it does not appear that the NGC slabs are sealed like IGC - they look like they can be opened easily.

has anyone tried? I only have one NGC slab so not wanting to break it if it's not possible lol.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3002
September 13, 2023, 12:54:36 PM
I think that ICG has the reputation of being the Crypto graders that collectors trust. Yes PCGS is the industry leader for fiat paper and coins, however, it's ICG... when
other collectors see that, they know these are authentic & can re-grade if they choose for for a higher premium. Coins are sealed & preserved for a greatly reduced price compared to PCGS cost for grading. Same goes for the even earlier graded coins by Anacs. Personally I love the yellow slabs from Anacs, those slabs speak to those of us whom have been here the longest. Jungle green, green & white slabs...all tell the story.   Tongue

In the coin grading world though PCGS and NGC are hands down considered the worlds premier grading companies.  I am not a huge fan of NGC simply based on the fact that they refused to grade cryptocurrency coins for so long calling them "fake coins".  However IMO the NGC slab is hands down the best slab out there. Also NGC makes a number of slabs giving you more potential for having different "off-sized" coins graded.

I've told this story here before several times but Tread93 ( I think that's his user name off the top of my head) spoke with the head of NGC once and asked why they wouldn't grade crypto coins.  He stated "we don't grade fake coins".  Tread responded with.."but you grade the McDonalds Big Mac coins".  NGC owners responded by saying "yeah, but those are really nice coins".  lol
Activity: 1912
Merit: 354
September 13, 2023, 11:15:24 AM
I think that ICG has the reputation of being the Crypto graders that collectors trust. Yes PCGS is the industry leader for fiat paper and coins, however, it's ICG... when
other collectors see that, they know these are authentic & can re-grade if they choose for for a higher premium. Coins are sealed & preserved for a greatly reduced price compared to PCGS cost for grading. Same goes for the even earlier graded coins by Anacs. Personally I love the yellow slabs from Anacs, those slabs speak to those of us whom have been here the longest. Jungle green, green & white slabs...all tell the story.   Tongue

legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 2195
EIN: 82-3893490
September 13, 2023, 11:06:53 AM
I have this coin graded by NGC

legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1401
Disobey.
September 13, 2023, 11:01:08 AM
Interesting find, more options for crypto grading would be great, even though ICG is doing a good job so far.
I searched a little and didn't find any loaded NGC graded crypto coins. - Still too scary for most graders?  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 3596
September 13, 2023, 06:42:17 AM
Long the hold-out for grading anything crypto related, have seen quite a few NGC slabbed "crypto" coins pop up recently on Ebay

Can anyone confirm if they are indeed grading "real" crypto (ie w/ holograms) or just crypto themed tokens like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20446008924

Pages:
Jump to: