Pages:
Author

Topic: Intrinsic Value - page 2. (Read 3317 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
October 13, 2012, 03:46:15 AM
Entropy exists, but try to have a conversation with an entropic system about value. It won't have much to say because value is a human idea.
Activity: 527
Merit: 500
October 13, 2012, 03:38:53 AM
Value is subjective, therefore there can be no intrinsic value. I value entropic loss, it entertains me.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
October 12, 2012, 09:38:38 PM
Most people will argue that intrinsic value does not exist.  I disagree.  I assert that this is an example of an object with intrinsic value:

Why do I say this?  What is intrinsic value?  I assert that intrinsic value is a measure of the ability of an object (or a system) to prevent or mitigate entropic loss.  The system pictured, consisting of a solar photovoltaic collector, a battery, and an inverter/controller, is capable of storing solar energy for future use.  This is, in effect, mitigating the loss of energy freed by the uncontrolled nuclear reactions of the Sun.  It could even, on a large enough scale, be capable of reversing those reactions.

So this system carries energy, and thus value, forward through time.  This is the hallmark of intrinsic value.  It is a feature of all objects with intrinsic value, including money.

Intrinsic value is not dependent upon humans.  It is not a product of your imagination, of your wishes or preferences.  Any creature, animals, plants or even extraterrestrials, is capable of benefiting from the mitigation of entropic loss, and the future energy, provided by such a system.  Intrinsic value is an absolute, objective standard.

The quality of intrinsic value is, however, still relative to the environment in which the object or system exists.  It is not permanent.  Solar panels do not last forever.  It is dependent upon location.  Solar panels are relatively less valuable in deep space.  And they will become less valuable if, for instance, the nearest star burns out.  A solar panel that requires more energy to produce than it can collect in its lifetime does not necessarily exhibit intrinsic value.

Intrinsic value can take on many forms, from hydroelectric dams, to greenhouses, to more complex systems like airplanes or even cities.  This, however, is not a form of intrinsic value:

Pages:
Jump to: