Pages:
Author

Topic: Invalid private key error - page 4. (Read 1415 times)

Activity: 39
Merit: 14
December 23, 2022, 10:14:13 AM
If anybody can advise or suggest me what is the difference between
1. P2PK and its corresponding privatekey
2. P2PKH and its corresponding privatekey.

As stated earlier in my post, the key I have since 2010/2011 has couple if charectors not included in base58 but when I try to repair with FinderOuter or with other Python scripts, they are not successful.

I tried contacting another person named DarkSchneider78 who posted on this forum but my posts has been deleted.

Any suggestions/advice including critics are appreciated. Critics are most welcome because it gives me an opportunity to learn from my mistakes.

Wishing all of you a very very happy X’mas. May God bless you all and your family & friends. Thanks
December 19, 2022, 10:16:10 AM
How did you find your private key? Did you find it in an old email? or Was it handwritten?
if it's handwriting You might write it down wrong at some point.

The private key that starts with '5' and has total 51 Char is Uncompressed WIF private key pattern.
This type of key always has a checksum in the last position to check that all characters of the key are correct. When you try to import the key and got 'Invalid private key', It may be caused by having some characters wrong.

If you write it down no more than 3 character wrong. you can recover it with this python script below.

Code:
import base58
import itertools

Damage_key = '5Kax3UAwGmHHuj6fQD1LDmKR6J3SwYyFWyHgxKAZ2cKRzVCRETY'  #change this key to your private key

Pos_3_change = list(itertools.combinations(range(1,51),3))
Base58_3_change = list(itertools.product('123456789ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijkmnopqrstuvwxyz', repeat=3))

def key_recovery():   
    for a in Pos_3_change:
        for b in Base58_3_change:
            private_key = list(Damage_key)
            private_key[a[0]] = b[0]
            private_key[a[1]] = b[1]
            private_key[a[2]] = b[2]           
            try:
                base58.b58decode_check(''.join(private_key))
                print(''.join(private_key))
            except:
                pass
    print('complete...')

key_recovery()

You can adjust the code above to suit your case. Hope this help. if you have any question, there's an email and telegram contact in my profile, feel free to ask.

Thanks. I shall give it a try.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507
December 19, 2022, 05:16:45 AM
I wish to contact this person as I am also in similar situation. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks
You can PM that Reddit account, but it has been inactive for 2 years, so chances of a response are very slim.

There is an account on this forum with the same handle which was active 2 months ago. You could try PMing them as well, although no guarantee it is the same person: https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/darkschneider78-1355666

The other suggestion from that Reddit thread is to go via your PayPal history to obtain the details of the person who apparently sold you this private key. Have you tried that approach?
Activity: 7
Merit: 1
December 19, 2022, 02:24:57 AM
How did you find your private key? Did you find it in an old email? or Was it handwritten?
if it's handwriting You might write it down wrong at some point.

The private key that starts with '5' and has total 51 Char is Uncompressed WIF private key pattern.
This type of key always has a checksum in the last position to check that all characters of the key are correct. When you try to import the key and got 'Invalid private key', It may be caused by having some characters wrong.

If you write it down no more than 3 character wrong. you can recover it with this python script below.

Code:
import base58
import itertools

Damage_key = '5Kax3UAwGmHHuj6fQD1LDmKR6J3SwYyFWyHgxKAZ2cKRzVCRETY'  #change this key to your private key

Pos_3_change = list(itertools.combinations(range(1,51),3))
Base58_3_change = list(itertools.product('123456789ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijkmnopqrstuvwxyz', repeat=3))

def key_recovery():    
    for a in Pos_3_change:
        for b in Base58_3_change:
            private_key = list(Damage_key)
            private_key[a[0]] = b[0]
            private_key[a[1]] = b[1]
            private_key[a[2]] = b[2]            
            try:
                base58.b58decode_check(''.join(private_key))
                print(''.join(private_key))
            except:
                pass
    print('complete...')

key_recovery()

You can adjust the code above to suit your case. Hope this help.
December 18, 2022, 02:33:00 PM
--snip--
Thanks for your response. Finally finderouter has worked. As far as the private key is I feel I have been scammed. The key is an invalid key.

I assume you already try replace all character which isn't on Base58 with "*" before attempt brute force with FinderOuter?

Why buy private keys when you can get one with a wallet?
Is it like you bought it from some dark web source to get an 'advantage' of some Bitcoins in it as advertised by some dark web seller? Don't go for such deals if that's the case.
And if you are skeptical about your wallet being a part of a possible hack, why not move your coins to a different wallet?
You have misunderstood ops point and there is no where in his post that he mentions that he bought a private key from anywhere, you can

do well to reread the message again before you make your contribution.

You're wrong, read this OP's reply.

This key was received on purchase of bitcoins via PayPal about a decade back. Then, there was very little knowledge sources available online.

But just to give you an insight into what ops is asking, he said he want to recover his old bitcoin core wallet that he just recovered the private keys from an old computer but the wallet root is responding to an error message, which might be as a result of human mistake .

Also wrong,
1. Bitcoin Core 23.0 was latest version when OP create this thread.
2. OP wanted to recover key he bought about a decade ago, not old Bitcoin Core wallet file.

I am obliged to all who responded to my post and thank everyone for your response.

I also found another post of someone stating purchase of bitcoins in 2009-2010 and receiving an email with private keys, advising the email recipient to delete the email after storing the key at a safe place.

###https://www.Reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7de7fa/i_found_out_i_bought_bitcoin_in_2009/ ###

posted by u/DarkSchneider78 .

I wish to contact this person as I am also in similar situation. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks
December 17, 2022, 12:23:45 PM
--snip--
Hi there, thanks for your response. I did try the commands you provided and I got the error after ./FinderOuter command.

‘No usable version of libssl was found
Aborted (core dumped)’

Looks like I am doing something wrong. Please let me know my faults. Thanks.

I never see this error. But it's possible certain library isn't installed on your OS. I'm not sure which one is needed, but i have these installed on my Debian VM.

Code:
libssl-dev
libssl1.1
openssl

Thanks for your response. Finally finderouter has worked. As far as the private key is I feel I have been scammed. The key is an invalid key.
Thanks for the support to all who have responded to my request.
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
December 15, 2022, 03:41:10 AM
I've used a QT that is forked from BTC, and I know with newer versions of it they migrated to default new wallets to be descriptor wallets so bitcoin QT might do it to???
Yes it is.
But OP's wallet isn't descriptor because the error that he'll get would be "Only legacy wallets are supported by this command" regardles of the prvKey's validity.
Activity: 268
Merit: 250
December 14, 2022, 01:43:37 PM
I've used a QT that is forked from BTC, and I know with newer versions of it they migrated to default new wallets to be descriptor wallets so bitcoin QT might do it to???, i dont want to try loading it up to check lol.

So if bitcoin qt does the same (not sure if it does) then create a new wallet, uncheck descriptor, wallet and import the keys into that new wallet as you cant use the importprivkey with a descriptor wallet afaik. looking more at your error message it might not be that though. worth a try i suppose either way easy enough to test.
December 14, 2022, 11:58:04 AM
--snip--
Unable to execute the application. Please let me know where am I going wrong. Thanks.

Based on command you mentioned, it looks like you download the source instead. You should download ready to run binary instead from link mentioned by @nc50lc.

Code:
unzip FinderOuter-0.16.0.0-Linux64SCD.zip
cd FinderOuter-0.16.0.0-Linux64SCD
chmod +x FinderOuter
./FinderOuter

Hi there, thanks for your response. I did try the commands you provided and I got the error after ./FinderOuter command.

‘No usable version of libssl was found
Aborted (core dumped)’

Looks like I am doing something wrong. Please let me know my faults. Thanks.
December 12, 2022, 12:20:34 PM
-snip-
Thanks for your suggestion. I am unable to use the tool as I don’t know the installation commands on Linux/Ubuntu/Debian OS.  I have downloaded and unzipped it but was unable to run it.  A request to that effect was posted by me on this board. Thanks.
There are pre-compiled binaries in the repository's releases link: https://github.com/Coding-Enthusiast/FinderOuter/releases
Those are ready to run aside from the "Source Codes".

Follow step 3 in the 'readme' to learn how to run it:
  • Provide execute permissions chmod 777 ./FinderOuter
  • Execute application ./FinderOuter

For better security, run it on an offline machine.

Thanks for responding. Folder is FinderOuter-master - ls - CHANGELOG.md Doc License Readme.md Src
cd Src
FinderOuter FinderOuter.sln Tests
Sudo chmod 777 ./FinderOuter
command not found

Unable to execute the application. Please let me know where am I going wrong. Thanks.
legendary
Self-proclaimed Genius
December 12, 2022, 02:07:09 AM
-snip-
Thanks for your suggestion. I am unable to use the tool as I don’t know the installation commands on Linux/Ubuntu/Debian OS.  I have downloaded and unzipped it but was unable to run it.  A request to that effect was posted by me on this board. Thanks.
There are pre-compiled binaries in the repository's releases link: https://github.com/Coding-Enthusiast/FinderOuter/releases
Those are ready to run aside from the "Source Codes".

Follow step 3 in the 'readme' to learn how to run it:
  • Provide execute permissions chmod 777 ./FinderOuter
  • Execute application ./FinderOuter

For better security, run it on an offline machine.
December 12, 2022, 12:57:34 AM
I did try twice but did not work. Thanks for your suggestion. I think this private key is made before Bitcoin adopting modified Base58 characters.
Sorry, it's quite funny that you're always coming-up with assumptions like the "400 hack attempts" and now "Bitcoin used to have different Base58 characters".
I understand that thinking the latter is normal if you do not know Bitcoin's history.
But the former... do the address in question perhaps shows 400+ inbound transactions in blockexplorers?
Because that's normal for old dormant funded addresses, people tend to send dust to them for variety of reasons, but none for hacking attempt.

Thanks for the response and advice.The one charecter that does’nt fit the Base58 chart is ‘I’. I tried replacing the charecter with valid character but it does’nt work.
You can also try to swap the similar valid characters like "u" and "v" or "k" and "x" which look similar in some fonts/handwriting.

You can also use the tool that I've suggested to automate the process, replace the possible wrong characters with "*".

Thanks for your suggestion. I am unable to use the tool as I don’t know the installation commands on Linux/Ubuntu/Debian OS.  I have downloaded and unzipped it but was unable to run it.  A request to that effect was posted by me on this board. Thanks.
legendary
Self-proclaimed Genius
December 12, 2022, 12:27:30 AM
I did try twice but did not work. Thanks for your suggestion. I think this private key is made before Bitcoin adopting modified Base58 characters.
Sorry, it's quite funny that you're always coming-up with assumptions like the "400 hack attempts" and now "Bitcoin used to have different Base58 characters".
I understand that thinking the latter is normal if you do not know Bitcoin's history.
But the former... do the address in question perhaps shows 400+ inbound transactions in blockexplorers?
Because that's normal for old dormant funded addresses, people tend to send dust to them for variety of reasons, but none for hacking attempt.

Thanks for the response and advice.The one charecter that does’nt fit the Base58 chart is ‘I’. I tried replacing the charecter with valid character but it does’nt work.
You can also try to swap the similar valid characters like "u" and "v" or "k" and "x" which look similar in some fonts/handwriting.

You can also use the tool that I've suggested to automate the process, replace the possible wrong characters with "*".
December 11, 2022, 05:36:17 PM
Hi, i would try replacing it with every letter in base58 chart until you get a match.

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
December 11, 2022, 05:06:08 PM
 Hi, i would try replacing it with every letter in base58 chart until you get a match.
December 11, 2022, 04:20:31 PM
Thanks for the response and advice.The one charecter that does’nt fit the Base58 chart is ‘I’. I tried replacing the charecter with valid character but it does’nt work. Appricate suggestions. Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
December 11, 2022, 05:09:37 AM
I presume more than 400 attempts has been made to hack my bitcoins.
What makes you think that and how did you come up with that number? Why 400 and not 200 or 500?

Hi, i see that you may need extra assistance you can contact me here: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Never under any circumstances share any sensitive information with this person or anyone else who contacts you privately. Do not click on any links or believe promises of magical software that will recover your coins just like that. Discuss the problem in public only. This does not apply to the FinderOuter software that nc50lc mentioned. I am only talking about things people could send you in private.

CoinPal was a legit service back in the days, but it didn't work the way you described above. You can take a look at this YouTube video to see how the purchases used to work. The one thing CoinPal used to send to its customers via email is a transaction ID that could be entered into a blockchain explorer to check the transaction data online. But they didn't send private keys. 
legendary
Self-proclaimed Genius
December 10, 2022, 12:37:29 AM
Also, can anybody suggest me what needs to do if few of the digits in privkey are not in base 58 table. I shall check Base 58 table and retry.
You can try FinderOuter tool by Coding-Enthusiast: https://github.com/Coding-Enthusiast/FinderOuter

Follow these steps to use it to find the possible correct characters:
  • Open FinderOuter and go to "Missing Base58" tab.
  • Select the options at the right-hand side - "*", "Private Key" and "AddrUnComp".
  • On the left-hand side, paste your private key in "Base-58 encoded string" and replace the characters that aren't Base58 with *
    for example: 5J1F7GH*dZG3s*CKHCwg8Jvys9xUbFsj*nGec4H1**Ny1V9n*6V
  • In the text box under it, paste your address.
  • Then Click "Find!" and it will start to fix your WIF private key; it will use most of your machine's CPU process while working.
  • Results will be displayed below.

Of course, it wont display any result if it can't find any valid private key with the characters that you've given.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
December 09, 2022, 01:15:25 AM
 Hi, i see that you may need extra assistance you can contact me here: [email protected]
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 6415
Farewell, Leo
December 08, 2022, 03:37:04 PM
Then I searched google how to buy bitcoins and those days it was a link which directed me to coinpal with PayPal link.
Your story sounds very strange, and you must have been victim of fraud. First of all, CoinPal didn't give private keys. No legitimate business does. CoinPal, as far as I've read, was a service which asked you to submit a Bitcoin address, pay the Paypal invoice, and have the bitcoin received. Secondly, there's no way a legitimate business told you to "destroy the email". Emails from large email-corps don't get deleted either way, they sit on the email server's just in case.

Have you deleted those emails? There's a chance you used a fake CoinPal site.
Pages:
Jump to: