Pages:
Author

Topic: Invest With Caution: CoinMart.co - page 2. (Read 4788 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 509
January 05, 2014, 10:39:32 PM
Honestly who gives a shit if a dev/startup borrows images? I understand that legally any company wishing to profit must use only content it created or has permission to use. This site as of now is not making a profit just showing an early unfinished design. I an sure when they are making any substantial profit they will pay an artist to whip up some fresh designs.

Besides who posts images/artwork online without watermarks expecting nobody to use it?

Seriously a huge overreaction in this thread...
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1278
Primedice.com, Stake.com
January 05, 2014, 06:17:29 PM
Dribble itself is a community where designers publish their work for other designers to take inspiration from, and post rebounds of their work with their own takes on it. Some of our images which we used in our thread were modified from designs posted on Dribble. If you take a look at some of the designs which we sourced, we edited it and made our own adaptation of it which is basically what Dribble was made for.

We don't plan to make use of any of those designs which we used in our thread for commercial purposes. Those were only used to introduce Coinmart to an audience through a visual medium and won't be used in the site.

If you would like to know my credibility, I was the person who made a redesign the Digitalcoin website and gave it to baritus (the developer behing Digitalcoin) for free. You can PM him yourself and ask him the new Digitalcoin site should be up soon.

If you think we are scammers, PM me and we will invite you to take a look at the current version of Coinmart.

Dribble is a site for sharing work and showcasing it, all that work belongs to its rightful owners and if you are ripping their work off that isn't fair to them. Have you contacted the designers and asked them for permission? I personally know one of them and I don't think they'd appreciate you editing their work and claiming it as your own without their permission.

The fact that you didn't cite them or give them any credit for it even just makes me think lowly of you as professional, even if you did cite them it would still be stealing without gaining their permission. Also the edits you made could have been made by myself personally, they hardly distinguish themselves from the original content. If you consider yourself a designer at all, you can agree that what you're doing is wrong. I'm curious where you dug up the explainer video from as well.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
January 05, 2014, 07:37:18 AM
Dribble itself is a community where designers publish their work for other designers to take inspiration from, and post rebounds of their work with their own takes on it. Some of our images which we used in our thread were modified from designs posted on Dribble. If you take a look at some of the designs which we sourced, we edited it and made our own adaptation of it which is basically what Dribble was made for.

We don't plan to make use of any of those designs which we used in our thread for commercial purposes. Those were only used to introduce Coinmart to an audience through a visual medium and won't be used in the site.

If you would like to know my credibility, I was the person who made a redesign the Digitalcoin website and gave it to baritus (the developer behing Digitalcoin) for free. You can PM him yourself and ask him the new Digitalcoin site should be up soon.

If you think we are scammers, PM me and we will invite you to take a look at the current version of Coinmart.
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
January 05, 2014, 05:47:11 AM
Interesting- I'm an artist/designer and I was rather certain that I'd seen the design somewhere else before too.
This really is still the wild west in terms of crypto start-ups- for every three investments I make, I almost expect one to fold.
Will be interesting to hear more opinions about CoinMart and the people behind it.
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1278
Primedice.com, Stake.com
January 04, 2014, 04:56:29 AM
I heard about this new marketplace and was actually rather impressed with their design and presentation and thought they had a shot to replace bitmit.

http://cryptosource.org/coinmart-co-a-cryptocurrency-marketplace-for-btc-ltc-dgc-in-development/

http://coinmart.co

After looking into this further, it appears they are gathering funding and selling shares to make their site a reality:

http://digitalcoin.co/forums/index.php/topic,625.0.html

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/dgc-forums-coinmart-new-ebaybitmit-style-market-place-shares-auction-386703

I noticed they are taking contributions of 1 BTC for a merchant investor and 5 BTC for Long-term investor. I'm a sucker for clean, responsive design and I considered investing.  There was one thing I noticed that really bothered me though, it appears that they had blatantly ripped off much of the art/design which was the only thing that gave the site any value.

I noticed this initially as it appears they ripped off design work that a studio I've hired many times had done for another client. When I started looking up more and more of the images, some of them linked to different accounts on dribbble. Notice the lack of a single drawing/animation of bitcoin in the explainer video and the fact that their logo is superimposed at the end awkwardly, probably got the voiceover off fiverr. I wouldn't be surprised if the mockup was stolen as well and just edited a few times with bitcoin relevant users.

So essentially what we end up with is someone looking for up to $100k+ worth of coins in exchange for a bunch of stolen images and a promise to make a useful website. Obviously can't say for sure whether this is just a scam, but stealing all that design reflects pretty poorly on them and certainly makes it seem like they had only put a few hours and $5 into their current version and are looking to make out with a quick buck.

This is obviously just speculation, I can't say they are scammers but it appears like they are thieves. They could very well take those investments and make a kick-ass website, it just seems quite deceptive. This sort of behavior is often indicative of poor character/untrustworthiness.

If coinmart can provide evidence that they have permission to use these images and didn't just steal them, I will gladly lock this and consider an investment. I just wanted to post my thoughts on this before it gained more steam, I'd appreciate it if someone could link this onto the digital coin forum if you see this as I do not have an account there.

Examples of stolen work:

http://dribbble.com/pixelvu
Will add more tomorrow as I find them.

Owners response on reddit when I asked if he did the design work behind the site:

Pages:
Jump to: