Pages:
Author

Topic: investing in bitcoin - page 2. (Read 1652 times)

donator
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
March 25, 2013, 02:00:23 PM
About a year ago I started from 5% of BTC. Now I regret I didn't buy more as the most of my "low risk" assets were burnt on Cyprus bank account.
Activity: 552
Merit: 501
March 25, 2013, 01:46:30 PM
hi!

im a total newbie, just being convinced by max Kaiser to buy some bitcoin

what i already did:

-set up and synchronized client
-encrypted and backed up wallet
-got mtgox account

what i want to ask:

- is it ok to invest 25% of my portfolio? to much? to little?
- should i wait for a correction after such a crazy rally?

My portfolio is currently 5/6 PMs and 1/6 BTC in dollar terms, but that was not a deliberate choice. It is just a reflection of the fact that PMs have been static for two years whilst BTC has been rather frisky ;-)
I would say if you are starting out, then 10% in BTC is probably about right. It is the classic example of a high risk high reward investment.
I wouldn't bother trying to buy the dips. Just buy and forget.
Activity: 85
Merit: 10
March 25, 2013, 10:37:39 AM
Investing in Bitcoin can mean a lot of things, you either just buy some at a trusted exchange and wait for them to appreciate (a lot).
Or you are one of the entrepreneurs that actually earns Bitcoin because of the hype, and then you're safe whether it appreciates or crashes.

Be creative.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
March 25, 2013, 09:30:34 AM
thank you for reply!

I'm already over 50% in metals.
after cyprus decided my fiat is not safe, and want to move some into smth other than PM's to be alble to liquify it faster.
 25% its not what I can afford to lose, but in fiat it can be stolen by goverment.
I think I will not wait and buy @ market when my fiat will arrive at mtgox.
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
March 25, 2013, 09:13:53 AM
hi!

what i already did:

-got mtgox account

what i want to ask:

1. If you cannot make your own investment decisions, you should not be investing.
2. Your decision. You could have bought at $65 Smiley
Activity: 121
Merit: 100
March 25, 2013, 09:13:32 AM
Well if you are a 'trader' type like Max there are btc denominated stocks and even options that can be bought. You might want to spread your btc investment around much like your fiat portfolio.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Annuit cœptis humanae libertas
March 25, 2013, 09:07:54 AM
My (unofficial) advice would be to invest only what you're willing to lose. In future, bitcoin will mostly likely be worth a helluvalot (no, $70 per BTC is certainly nowhere even galactically close, no matter how pricey it may seem now), or nothing/next to nothing, IMHO.

Another option is to buy bitcoin, register with BTC-e, send some BTC thither and speculate on litecoin too, adjusting the weighting of one's litecoin portfolio with the seismic shifting of the exchange rate (i.e. buy LTC low and sell high, that age-old strategy). This allows one to diversify and sell bitcoin without returning to fiat.

If you've already got PMs in your portfolio, I think you're already set to "risk" bitcoin, but still, only play with what you can afford to lose... just in case. I'm willing to take that risk, especially now, when my dollar value of crypto holdings is still firmly in the "loose change" category - I love Bitcoin, though.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
March 25, 2013, 09:01:41 AM
hi!

what i already did:

-got mtgox account

what i want to ask:

Pages:
Jump to: