Pages:
Author

Topic: IPO vs ICO vs Pre-Sale - page 2. (Read 3681 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 250
May 13, 2015, 09:49:34 PM
Nothing decentralised about a premine, IPO, Crowdfund, ICO, Presale.

Or POW. Millions of blocks mind by a handful of people in the early days of BTC. Satoshi has 5% minimum of all BTC that we know about  Grin

Depends what type of POW you are talking about. A long POW with the right difficulty targeting and with a number of pools on board it is fair. Early adopters are not always there in the long run.

What about for people without mining rigs/ASICS? Or your grandchildren's children?

Exchanges?? Buy it or Earn it.

This can be said for POS/IPO. So why didn't you include POW in your list if there is nothing inherently fair about it? You still need money to buy your ASICS, and your grandkids-kids will have to buy at prices much higher than today (assuming successful) so they don't even have the opportunity to get a substantial cache.

No it cannot. IPO usually distributes a very large, or all of the coins to investors and developers/the "foundation". That is generally always horrible distribution, as there's no way for newcomers to mine coins themselves without having to buy in at inflated prices by the whales that now own the coin.

PoW is indefinitely more fair than an IPO can ever be. In PoW, anyone with a cpu, gpu, or asic can begin mining for their own coins no matter how small the reward is. That simply is not available in an IPO, because all the coins are all given away to investors at launch. IPO coins are basically centralized stocks.

Then, there's the small point that having an IPO that isn't registered(Which is what all these coins have done) is illegal. All those developers that sold coins in an IPO, have done so illegally and will at some point be charged.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
May 13, 2015, 12:08:05 PM

Or POW. Millions of blocks mind by a handful of people in the early days of BTC. Satoshi has 5% minimum of all BTC that we know about  Grin

Depends what type of POW you are talking about. A long POW with the right difficulty targeting and with a number of pools on board it is fair. Early adopters are not always there in the long run.

What about for people without mining rigs/ASICS? Or your grandchildren's children?

This can be said for POS/IPO. So why didn't you include POW in your list if there is nothing inherently fair about it? You still need money to buy your ASICS, and your grandkids-kids will have to buy at prices much higher than today (assuming successful) so they don't even have the opportunity to get a substantial cache.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1000
https://bata.io
May 13, 2015, 11:33:52 AM

Or POW. Millions of blocks mind by a handful of people in the early days of BTC. Satoshi has 5% minimum of all BTC that we know about  Grin

legendary
Activity: 1344
May 13, 2015, 11:32:33 AM
There is nothing different.
Just that many people hate these pre-sale due to the large amount of scams in altcoin.
May 13, 2015, 10:52:00 AM

legendary
May 13, 2015, 10:04:46 AM

Activity: 532
May 13, 2015, 09:02:38 AM
Actually there are all Pre-Sale.
The coin maker got all money to pre-sale his coins.
May 13, 2015, 08:14:20 AM

legendary
May 13, 2015, 07:33:12 AM
The devs who made up the names thought they could avoid prosecution by calling an IPO a different name, but I doubt it will work in the long run. As far as I'm concerned IPO, ICO, and pre-sale all mean exactly the same thing.

Yep, they are exactly the same thing. These coins devs are constantly making up new names for "IPO" in an attempt to try and ward off any legal prosecution they may be faced with. And guess what, it's all still illegal. 100% of these developers are illegally selling unregistered securities and it's most common with PoS coins. In fact, I have yet to see a PoW coin that indulged in an IPO.

Agreed, the crack down has begun too .. Ripple.
legendary
May 13, 2015, 07:31:19 AM
Activity: 119
Merit: 10
CoinAwesome.com & WeTipCoins.com
May 13, 2015, 04:30:34 AM
CoinAwesome has invented a new type of coin distribution through sales. The sales are done in 24h rounds. Consider buying CoinAwesome AWE as an investment into a decentralized social platform. Details: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11339437
Activity: 490
37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP
May 13, 2015, 02:37:22 AM
for me i vote for IPO Cheesy
Activity: 448
Americans do it better
May 13, 2015, 02:23:50 AM
No diference.

Not a fair distribution at all.
Activity: 504
eidoo wallet
May 11, 2015, 05:45:32 PM
The devs who made up the names thought they could avoid prosecution by calling an IPO a different name, but I doubt it will work in the long run. As far as I'm concerned IPO, ICO, and pre-sale all mean exactly the same thing.

Yep, they are exactly the same thing. These coins devs are constantly making up new names for "IPO" in an attempt to try and ward off any legal prosecution they may be faced with. And guess what, it's all still illegal. 100% of these developers are illegally selling unregistered securities and it's most common with PoS coins. In fact, I have yet to see a PoW coin that indulged in an IPO.
May 11, 2015, 10:04:45 AM
IPO = ICO = PRE SALE = PREMINE = INSTAMINE =  SCAM

I see we like broad brush strokes here  Cheesy Most ICO/IPO relate to POS.

How do you premine something that has no mining?

"
Show me the logic...

POS is not premined. Premined is a negative term meaning someone was dishonest by premining the currency before it was brought on the market and when difficulty was still very low, while claiming at the same time that everyone has the same chance to mine it, which is a lie when you premine.

With most POS there is no mining at all, so there can not be premining. All coins were created at inception, just like with stocks indeed, but in contrast to stocks, where often more stocks are created in the future (inflation of supply), with some POS no more tokens can be created, ever. Therefore it is a better store of value than even bitcoin, as it is the only currency that has no inflation at all.

"*

As long as everything was public (albeit usually in a crypto forum) and there was no restriction on the opportunity for people to join in, how do you support your statement?

*Marc De Mesel
legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
May 11, 2015, 09:52:06 AM
I have read in many altcoins announcements these 3 terms, but I haven't understood yet the real difference between them. They seem to me referring to an identical process in which altcoins devs sell some of their coins at a low price.

What's the difference?

IPO = ICO = PRE SALE = PREMINE = INSTAMINE =  SCAM
May 11, 2015, 09:37:44 AM
What if the 'unfair distribution' is a large factor in a coins success?

There have been many attempts to clone POS with a "fair distribution". Can anyone name any? And if you can, has the "fair distribution" made it successful?

To quote another:

"
We shouldn't ignore the lessons of history. Societies created by a lot of people are abnormal phenomena... The most stable economic systems were always bootstrapped by a few people (feods, corporations, etc.) so it's safer to follow a similar way.
"

All evidence so far supports the thinking that "A courtyard common to all will be swept by none".
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1022
May 11, 2015, 07:10:19 AM
Putting a silver lining on a scam doesn't stop it from being a scam. All scams
Activity: 336
May 10, 2015, 10:06:58 PM

Exactly.

Add ITO (initial token offering) to the list.
Activity: 686
Merit: 320
May 10, 2015, 07:34:53 PM
Isn't ICO Initial Crowdfunding Option?
That's something new that's cropped up lately. But if they're giving coins in return then it's not real crowdfunding, just an IPO/ICO/Presale.
Pages:
Jump to: