Pages:
Author

Topic: irc Chat with KARPELES(MtGox) from today 25th Feb - page 2. (Read 10675 times)

legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006
I've heard all kinds of speculations, but the problem could be very simple:
MtGox sold coins they did not have in the first place, that's the only reasonable solution to the 750,000 lost coins mystery.

Another simple solution:
They overengineered their deep cold wallet stuff (e.g. splitting keys up and store the parts seperately in several places) and ran on hot wallets/"warm" wallets (keys in office safe) for a long time. Now that they need to access the deep vaults, they are not able to piece the keys together agian, locking up their old coins forever. Think of it like restoring a RAID-5 and a second HDD failing while the restore is running...
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
In Hashrate We Trust!
I've heard all kinds of speculations, but the problem could be very simple:
MtGox sold coins they did not have in the first place, that's the only reasonable solution to the 750,000 lost coins mystery.

Further BTC-price crash is the best solution for the MtGox crisis:
people sell their imaginary coins for around $80-$100 back to MtGox, which will make MtGox solvent again.
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
Karpeles has a lot of bitcoins. He is an early adopter and he was running one of the biggest exchanges. He must have more than 100k btc for himself in cold storage which was not related with mtgox. He is not an idiot he is told to pretend it. For sure a lot of bitcoins may have been lost but the problem here is the trust. If mtgox enable bitcoin withdrawals and the 550k costomers or a portion of them loose trust and try to sell their bitcoins then the price will go down down down... So the best strategy for him and for big investors is to claim that all btc had been lost if the majority eat that manipulation. The "leaked" document and the irc conversion is for testing reactions.

Pure manipulation...
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
Are everybody just gone INSANE??

I hope you all know he is talking about his own wallet (unavailable), not the one from the company.
Mark just verified that MtGOX lost 700k BTC. Why is price shooting up?

Don't friggen tell me that's actually a good news  Angry

It is good news.  700k imaginary bitcoins have disappeared.  Many many people have been trading with this imaginary coins, depressing the price.  Now that the fraud is revealed, real supply and demand can take hold again.

Plus, an inept, and potentially criminal service has been removed from Bitcoin.  From here we can move forward with more competent operators.  And the lessons learned here will force people to be more diligent about the integrity of the services they use.

Thats what I was thinking- maybe 700K weren't actually lost but some number of those are imaginary.

All of the lost coins were imaginary.  There is a very important point to grasp here so let me expand upon the idea for a moment.

The missing coins reported is the difference between the real BTC in the control of MtGox and the BTC balances held on account by users of MtGox.  As soon as those 2 numbers were not equal to each other MtGox starting being a service where imaginary BTC changed hands.  From the leaked documents it's clear there has been a deficit of BTC in hand versus BTC obligations to customers at MtGox for many years (I have been posting here for years that I suspected this was the case).

It really doesn't matter why MtGox arrived at the point where they owned less BTC than their customers believed were on deposit with them.  As soon as that situation developed MtGox was operating a fraud.  And it is beyond belief that they would not be aware of the shortfall.  Comparing BTC holdings to BTC obligations should have been the most trivial of database operations, and one that was done hourly.

Mark can wave his hands about flaws in the protocol all day long.  It doesn't change the fact that he was operating an insolvent company fraudulently for years.  I expect he is going to spend significant time in prison. (I also expect he will leave prison with a hefty number of those 'missing' BTC in his possession).
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Small Red and Bad
And who brings a cat to his office, he thinks he's Blofeld?  Grin

He was at home, not at an office, btw.
https://twitter.com/MarkKarpelesCat

Haha don't mess with the internet people  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Are everybody just gone INSANE??

I hope you all know he is talking about his own wallet (unavailable), not the one from the company.
Mark just verified that MtGOX lost 700k BTC. Why is price shooting up?

Don't friggen tell me that's actually a good news  Angry

It is good news.  700k imaginary bitcoins have disappeared.  Many many people have been trading with this imaginary coins, depressing the price.  Now that the fraud is revealed, real supply and demand can take hold again.

Plus, an inept, and potentially criminal service has been removed from Bitcoin.  From here we can move forward with more competent operators.  And the lessons learned here will force people to be more diligent about the integrity of the services they use.

Thats what I was thinking- maybe 700K weren't actually lost but some number of those are imaginary.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
did you know that mark's 2nd name is maria?! I think he's also going for the surgery soon to change his sex gender...

who? mark karpeles? nah man, we only have maria karpeles here - the fat ugly bitch! 
Also this statement: any BTC I own personally were on MtGox...notice the way he sayd "were" on Mt. Gox.  Meaning...Gox is no longer there, and the coins are no longer in his control?

Yes. He's saying his coins are in the same boat as everyone else's.

[12:02] How much did you lose yourself?
[12:04] Well, technically speaking it's not "lost" just yet, just temporarily unavailable

Of course, for any verified users that used the malleability issue to steal coins, the authorities should be able to go after them for theft. Unfortunately MtGox didn't used to require ID verification for purely BTC withdrawals.
Activity: 224
Merit: 104
He never should have admitted that document was more or less true.  Operating in the negative for years is grounds for being sued, possibly personally.

Also this statement: any BTC I own personally were on MtGox...notice the way he sayd "were" on Mt. Gox.  Meaning...Gox is no longer there, and the coins are no longer in his control?
Activity: 6
I want my bitcoins back, Mr Karpeles!  Angry

He was at home, not at an office, btw.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 368

What kind of pills do we see there on the left?

Activity: 546
Anybody know what keyboard that is? Looks interesting.

it's a French AZERTY keyboard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AZERTY
legendary
Activity: 1344
the IRC chat is BS  Cheesy
Activity: 910
Merit: 253
Hodlers Network
i think someone wil hire some hitman to look for Mark. He has stolen hundreds millions dollars, come on, someone HAS TO do it. Poor piggy, but i cannot feel pity for him. If he really stole all that money as it is obvious, someone will kill him. Weeks, months, years...who knows. He fucked hundred thousands people INTENTIONALLY stealing an amout of money which could pay for some third world state's debt.

Do not worry for your weight Mark, in the mud hole you will be buried before being killed you will have plenty of time to become skinny.

Anyway can you give me any Mark's  contacts? so i will be able to talk with him. Something to chat.
legendary
Activity: 1344
ask for a list of all the addresses off Mark so I can run a formal investigation, we do have a list of our own addresses so their is nothing he can do
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
After reading the supposed interview, it is still somewhat elusive replies from the questions asked and does not give concrete answers. From all excuses given, Karpeles not only has destroyed my confiden........
Some ideas to buy/sell without electronic exchanges within the UK.

- Installation of more bitcoin ATM's.
- Locals within a community in hosting bitcoin trading within events such as pubs, café's or market stalls if allowed.

If you have ideas to kickstart something in the UK, give me a shout.
If Gox finds a new Owner, id say it'll be safer than any other current exchange(just take btce as an example,totally anonymous mob).

The new owner simply CANNOT afford to behave in any way as the predecessor. I think any potential buyer realizes that. They will have to have outside auditors (better if more firms than just one), completely transparent ownership structure. Customer money segregation. They will have to communicate with the public. Well all the things mtgox did not do.
If bought by other party will have really nothing in common with the old firm. I cannot in order to function and catch on.
Activity: 28
its the starbucks that made him put all on that weight i tell ya!
Activity: 770
What model is the keyboard?
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
Seriously, i think he is mentally ill, psychotic. His behaviour in all that is happening is complete non sense, just crazy. It is even hard to label him incompetent, criminal or a scammer, he just seems insane.

I agree. He doesn't even answer any questions with anything pertinent or meaningful at all.

It's as if all of this really isn't a big deal to him, and the only things on his mind are his weight gain and that he feels a little sleepy. Is the guy just a sociopathic narcissist? He's completely oblivious to what's going on around him.

He is feeling very calma, safe and like he did nothing wrong, weird.

i think he is mentally ill, psychotic.

Indeed quite shocking for a "normal" person.
I am not trying to be mean, just making medical observations.

This kind of behaviour (under the extraordinarily tough circumstances)could be consistent with e.g. Aspergers, or other cognitive impairment...

The absolute lack of mention of his customers may just point to utter narcissism,  psychopathy or  heavy delusion, this lack of common empathy would further support Aspergers and similar.
Pages:
Jump to: