Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Argentina the cyprus of 2014? - page 4. (Read 5658 times)

legendary
Activity: 1067
Merit: 1000
July 31, 2014, 03:08:27 PM
everything follows a similar pattern

there is a bear trap and argentina defaults...

Do you believe this is a Cyprus moment

They un-pegged their currency and had bank holiday the last time they defaulted. The county population suddenly lose a lot of wealth over night.

It wouldn't surprise me if they confiscate bank account balance this time.
legendary
Activity: 854
July 31, 2014, 02:41:30 PM
Wow!!!

There are people in Buenos Aires selling bitcoin for ~8150 ARS or $1000!!!

Activity: 427
Merit: 250
July 31, 2014, 01:50:58 PM
Actually it's different

Argentina has the money to pay but the payment is blocked by a court order.

Argentina has the money to pay as per the conditions that were agreed upon with 90% of its creditors.

The other 10% now are demanding that Argentina pay according to different rules.

If Argentina accept these new rules, the other 90% could also ask for the same rules, so that's what's causing the problem.

The 'different' rules being the ones that Argentina agreed to when it first sold the bonds.
The 10% want what they were promised.

Technically, the 10% are not the same people anymore. So Argentina never promised anything to the current 10% that are holding these credits.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
July 31, 2014, 12:46:18 PM
In what sense?

About bitcoin adoption, or about they being a small economy that will lead to a global crysis, like happened with Cyprus and Greece crysis spreading to Euro zone, then to the world?

I don't think the Argentina's crysis will spread to the world, because everyone knows that they are not a solid economy, so are kind of prepared for them falling, and they are not part of any significant economic block.

Either I doubt they will become a bitcoin enthusiast land because their ideology is close to the chinese one, and also close to countries not  bitcoin friendly, like Bolivia and Ecuador. The most optimistic situation is they just have no regulations about bitcoin.
Activity: 427
July 31, 2014, 12:23:54 PM
I really do hope that Bitcoin grows in Argentina but this is different than Cyprus. Argentina has had many instances of hyper inflation and their citizens are already heavily adapted to investing in USD fiat to hedge against the peso. another Crysis will promote the adoption of Bitcoin but I doubt their will a mass flood of new users overnight. Than again if only 1% of the Argentinian population of 42.6million starts investing and using Bitcoin that can indeed cause a bubble.

Imagine 43k new bitcoin users hitting the exchanges overnight, damn ...

it would be 430k new btc users right.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
July 31, 2014, 11:05:53 AM
Is their any evidence that the people of Cyprus where heavily investing in Bitcoin? I believe the March 2013 bubble was only indirectly supported by the Crisis in Cyprus due to media attention given to bitcoin.
True, for instance I already owned some bitcoins when Cyprus' economy started to collapse, and this just prompted me to buy more.

Do you think things would have gone differently if they had won the World Cup? I mean, there's a lot of money involved with those things! They could've used it to pay for the country's debts.

You got me, there Cheesy Don't believe it either, but let's see if some people jump on that train. The whole World Cup madness was pretty wild and seemingly important for a lot of people!
legendary
Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001
July 31, 2014, 11:02:38 AM
weird how the rally just started this morning.
Activity: 630
Bitgoblin
July 31, 2014, 09:28:23 AM
Is their any evidence that the people of Cyprus where heavily investing in Bitcoin? I believe the March 2013 bubble was only indirectly supported by the Crisis in Cyprus due to media attention given to bitcoin.
True, for instance I already owned some bitcoins when Cyprus' economy started to collapse, and this just prompted me to buy more.

Do you think things would have gone differently if they had won the World Cup? I mean, there's a lot of money involved with those things! They could've used it to pay for the country's debts.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
July 31, 2014, 09:22:57 AM
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024
July 31, 2014, 09:12:22 AM

Indeed, there is no evidence. I'd also agree that it was media attention that pushed the prices up.

I do not want to imply by discussing a possible Cyprus 2.0 scenario that this would be positive for the bitcoin/fiat exchange rate. It might have a positive influence if media portray bitcoin as a possibility for capital flight. We have to wait and see what happens.

ya.ya.yo!
Activity: 658
Merit: 501
July 31, 2014, 08:42:54 AM
Argentina is not the Cyprus of 2014. It's an entirely different situation and there is much less contagion risk for other countries. the default was expected to occur sooner or later.

The Cyprus of 2014 could happen in Portugal and Spain. These would be catastrophic events.

ya.ya.yo!

Yeah, it seems to be a completely different situation. I don't think this particular crisis could have the same obvious upside for BTC that the Cyprus crisis had.

legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
July 31, 2014, 08:36:34 AM
Argentina is not the Cyprus of 2014. It's an entirely different situation and there is much less contagion risk for other countries. the default was expected to occur sooner or later.

The Cyprus of 2014 could happen in Portugal and Spain. These would be catastrophic events.

ya.ya.yo!

Yeah, it seems to be a completely different situation. I don't think this particular crisis could have the same obvious upside for BTC that the Cyprus crisis had.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024
July 31, 2014, 08:26:17 AM

ya.ya.yo!
Activity: 476
July 31, 2014, 08:07:43 AM
Actually it's different

Argentina has the money to pay as per the conditions that were agreed upon with 90% of its creditors.

The other 10% now are demanding that Argentina pay according to different rules.

If Argentina accept these new rules, the other 90% could also ask for the same rules, so that's what's causing the problem.

The 'different' rules being the ones that Argentina agreed to when it first sold the bonds.

Article on vulture funds here is Australia.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/us-vulture-fund-forces-debt-default-by-argentina-20140731-zyy83.html

None of which changes what I said. The 10% want the original terms of the bargain Argentina agreed to.
Activity: 658
Merit: 501
July 31, 2014, 08:05:28 AM
everything follows a similar pattern

there is a bear trap and argentina defaults...

Do you believe this is a Cyprus moment

I really do hope that Bitcoin grows in Argentina but this is different than Cyprus. Argentina has had many instances of hyper inflation and their citizens are already heavily adapted to investing in USD fiat to hedge against the peso. another Crysis will promote the adoption of Bitcoin but I doubt their will a mass flood of new users overnight. Than again if only 1% of the Argentinian population of 42.6million starts investing and using Bitcoin that can indeed cause a bubble.

Imagine 43k new bitcoin users hitting the exchanges overnight, damn ...
Activity: 588
July 31, 2014, 07:52:02 AM
no its not... its a total different story
legendary
Activity: 961
July 31, 2014, 07:27:02 AM
Actually it's different

Article on vulture funds here is Australia.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/us-vulture-fund-forces-debt-default-by-argentina-20140731-zyy83.html
Activity: 756
Merit: 506
July 31, 2014, 04:49:34 AM
Argentina, Brazil or Turkey could be the reason of next Bitcoin price jump. Developing countries economics are so bad people try to change their governments. There are huge bans on almost everything in Turkey. People have to use Bitcoin for their financial freedom.

I don't know about Argentina and even less about the prospects in Brazil.

I think Turkey, now you mentioned it, could be a real contender.  Turkey is very well integrated in the international tourism market, has a remittance population in Germany which sends money home and then there are those rules you mentioned.  It was the exchange rules that convinced some Chinese to go big into Bitcoin.

I'm rather excited that now there is supposedly 4000 bank terminals in Ukraine which accept Bitcoin but the problem is I don't want to vacation in a country and have my hotel or hostel get blown up by a ballistic missile.  
Activity: 476
July 31, 2014, 04:45:01 AM
Actually it's different

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
July 31, 2014, 04:40:47 AM
Neo Argentina
Pages:
Jump to: