Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Bitcoin a Currency or Commodity? - page 2. (Read 2686 times)

Activity: 526
Merit: 508
My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck
May 03, 2013, 05:07:02 AM
All actual currencies would fluctuate too if not artificially held steady by their government's GUNS.

Bitcoin is not held in place by deadly force. Therefore it will continue to be worth what the market demands of it forever. I'm OK with that; it will continue to get less volatile after a bit as more people use it as a currency too.

Calling it a commodity is uniformed because it can't be used for anything else of value. (Don't give me that sending messages crap! I said of value!)

Calling it a currency is correct, but also incomplete, because it includes a complete payment system.

It's really a whole new thing... In my book it's better than either a currency or a commodity alone.
Activity: 224
Merit: 10
May 03, 2013, 05:06:54 AM
Bitcoin is Bitcoin. It has properties of a commodity, currency and a payment processor.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
May 03, 2013, 04:38:47 AM
bitcoins are not a commodity. you can not grind them down to make chocolate or bread. you cant melt them down to make electrical parts or jewellery. you cant cut them up to make beef steaks, or other meat products and you cant refine it to make car fuel or power generators.

Could you use bitcoin to buy say virtual cacao or wheat in an MMORPG then sell said bread or chocolate after crafting it and earn a profit from providing such a service?  We do live in virtual times...
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
May 03, 2013, 04:34:26 AM
An item that is used as a means of exchange by definition is a currency
However the bitcoin also contains elements of commodities
Therefore it is both and a hybrid currency
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
www.bitex.co.uk - A new begining in cryptotech
May 03, 2013, 04:25:31 AM
I would say Bitcoins are more a store of value, in a Similar way to gold.

However as stated:

money: is a item owned by government used in transactions (its laymens term for FIAT)

commody: a raw material used in the production of other materials/products that has a internationally recognised value and quality base.

currency: anything used as a valued item in a transaction.

bitcoins are not a commodity. you can not grind them down to make chocolate or bread. you cant melt them down to make electrical parts or jewellery. you cant cut them up to make beef steaks, or other meat products and you cant refine it to make car fuel or power generators.

so now you know that bitcoin is not "money" as that term is reserved for fiat.. its not a commodity because of it having no other practical use, so that just leave the one thing that bitcoin is useful for.. currency.

Bitcoins cannot be turned into anything else where as commodities are traditionally things that can be used to make other things.  Therefore  I put forward that it is simply a store of value, with the value being determined by supply and demand.
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
May 02, 2013, 11:46:43 PM
money: is a item owned by government used in transactions (its laymens term for FIAT)

commody: a raw material used in the production of other materials/products that has a internationally recognised value and quality base.

currency: anything used as a valued item in a transaction.

so now you know that bitcoin is not "money" as that term is reserved for fiat.. its not a commodity because of it having no other practical use, so that just leave the one thing that bitcoin is useful for.. currency.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
May 02, 2013, 11:31:03 PM
I believe it exhibits many of the characteristics of gold, which is both a commodity and currency, but nowadays more of a commodity.
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1026
May 02, 2013, 11:26:39 PM
Even if everyone votes that cats are dogs, that won't make it so.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
May 02, 2013, 11:18:52 PM
I got an idea: let's get into an argument over semantics Tongue
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
May 02, 2013, 11:14:37 PM
As it stands right now it's much more a commodity than a currency.

Something that isn't stable in price isn't something people use as currency. Some bitcoin fans don't like to hear that because it's true that the ultimate goal is for BTC to be a currency, it's certainly not right now though.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
May 02, 2013, 10:28:47 PM
I do not care what you call it. As long as I can use it to buy things then that is all I need.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
May 02, 2013, 10:26:04 PM
I have seen this question pop up a lot lately and thought it would be interesting to run a poll to see what the public opinion is. I have stated publicly in my interview with Cliff Kule at http://www.cliffkule.com/2013/04/kule-interview-bitcoin-adam-harding.htm that I believe it is not a currency but a commodity with money like properties (similar to gold).

Please give your answers and explain your reasoning.
Pages:
Jump to: