Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Bitcoin mining a profitable business? - page 2. (Read 616 times)

Activity: 89
Merit: 2
January 16, 2024, 04:27:44 AM
can we buy and connect multiple ASIC's? to already working mining grid?
Activity: 714
Merit: 1010
Crypto Swap Exchange
January 06, 2024, 02:26:49 AM
He will only get a block once a month but long term as randomness starts giving away his lower costs will have the final word and he will be more profitable even with 1/100of the hashrate!

Let's do the math how much hashrate power you need to statistically win the hash lottery for one block a month (to sustain a reliable income you should better join a decent mining pool, one with enough combined hashpower to generate blocks at some steady and somewhat predictable rate and fair conditions):
  • current assumed cumulative hashpower worldwide ~529 EH/s (MA according to https://mempool.space/graphs/mining/hashrate-difficulty
  • assuming on average 2016 blocks per two weeks --> (2016 times 26) divided by 12 equals 4368 blocks per month on average
  • ~529 EH/s divided by 4368 equals ~121,108 TH/s that such a miner needs to have roughly to generate one block per month on average

Let's further assume this miner has quite recent and efficient gear like Bitmain Antminer S19 XP: ~140 TH/s @ 3010W per device. Such a miner would need a mining farm of ~865 (121,108 divided by 4368) of such devices and as cheap as possible access to power delivery of at minimum 2.6 MWh for the ASICs alone (not accounting for power losses of distributing the power internally, operating the mining farm facility, cooling, ...).

That's serious business and investment for one block per month on average and I'm already assuming ideal operating conditions. And due to general trend of development of Bitcoin's mining difficulty this won't be a steady state block generation rate. To keep the rate of one block per month on average this miner would need to add ASICs roughly at the rate the difficulty adds up. The long term trend is usually rising...
Activity: 280
Merit: 110
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
January 04, 2024, 01:32:48 PM
Introduction
In the ever-busy world of business, profits and losses are key components experienced by those in it. However, from a very tender age until this minute, I have not come across anyone who chooses to make losses. Certainly, everyone loves to make profits through any means possible.

In a case where I happen to be the only one that sells a particular brand within a region or state, it is expected of me to make profits. But if there are other competitors that sell the same brand as me within the same region, the tendency of making profits is likely not to happen due to the competition.

I tried to apply a similar scenario to Bitcoin mining. We all know that several miners around the world compete to solve a difficult mathematical problem, which aids the creation of a block. After the successful creation of a block, the miner is rewarded with some Bitcoin. Sadly, I can't tell the exact number of miners globally, but I think their population is enough to make the reward process very tough.

Questions
1. With the large population of miners around the world, could every miner earn a reward at least once a month?
2. If it's impossible for every miner to earn at least once a month, does that mean that mining is not a profitable business?

Note: I am asking these questions based on a miner's perspective, considering the cost of power supply consumed and the fixing/replacement of faulty mining machines.
I am not a miner. and my opinions are not as good as any mining expert. but I can tell you one simple thing which is true for every business. if something is not profitable there wouldn't be people doing that. so if Mining was not profitable then there wouldn't be that many miners all over the world mining.
now coming to your questions:
1: Yes. Every Miners earn some rewards at some points. it is very difficult and time-consuming. but they eventually get their share of the rewards. (it is different for solo and pool miners) one thing you must know is that Miners don't only earn from mining new blocks. their most of their earning come from transaction fees.
according to Binance News: In 2023 Miners earned $2 Million Daily only in Transaction fees. https://www.binance.com/en/feed/post/2023-12-25-bitcoin-miners-collect-daily-average-of-2-million-in-transaction-fee-revenue-in-2023-1853616466441
2: Mining is a profitable business . if done properly.

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1026
January 04, 2024, 07:36:10 AM
Questions
1. With the large population of miners around the world, could every miner earn a reward at least once a month?
2. If it's impossible for every miner to earn at least once a month, does that mean that mining is not a profitable business?
If you are a novice investor with several ASIC containers, then you will use a mining pool and not try to mine solo. When you have 1-2 megawatts per hour of energy consumption, then you will not play the solo mining lottery Smiley
Bitcoin mining is a very profitable business, because mining companies pay back their investments in 1 year.
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Jambler.io
January 03, 2024, 11:29:31 AM
I tried to apply a similar scenario to Bitcoin mining. We all know that several miners around the world compete to solve a difficult mathematical problem, which aids the creation of a block. After the successful creation of a block, the miner is rewarded with some Bitcoin. Sadly, I can't tell the exact number of miners globally, but I think their population is enough to make the reward process very tough.

Yeah, you've started the wrong way on almost every single aspect of it!

Miners are not taking turns at finding blocks, the number of miners is meaningless, it's the hashrate they control,  the reward process is not "tough" is just math on splitting the reward, just like it's economics in running a mining business!
So your questions are just 101% wrongly worded, there is no asnwerign them!

Now as a solo miner, you need to have a hashpower to be able to counter the combined hashpower of the all the miners in the world to be able to generate enough coins to either ROI and break-even or profit beyond break even point.

Actually this is not true as it's not really a hashrate competition but how much that hashrate costs.
You stared well but got sidetracked, if of course we're not talking about usb sticks , a miner who buys his gear cheap, is paying 1 cent per kwh and he runs his own farm alone will manage even with solo mining to out profit in the long term any other miner or even mining company even if he has a few dozns of petahashs not exahash.
He will only get a block once a month but long term as randomness starts giving away his lower costs will have the final word and he will be more profitable even with 1/100of the hashrate!

legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 1213
Call your grandparents and tell them you love them
January 03, 2024, 11:17:50 AM
Consider the following factors:
1. Number of ASICs - the more you have them the better cumulative hashpower
2. Electricity costs - less is better.
3. Maintenance costs - less is better.
4. Cooling costs - less is better.

Now as a solo miner, you need to have a hashpower to be able to counter the combined hashpower of the all the miners in the world to be able to generate enough coins to either ROI and break-even or profit beyond break even point.

You can do the math yourself, I am not an expert in mining, but after 2013, mining on your own or even on a pool will cost you more than you can make.
Activity: 111
Merit: 69
Alt of @hugeblack
January 03, 2024, 08:19:39 AM
Being a solo miner is a bet on luck, and it cannot be sustainable. If you are very lucky, you will get $200,000 once, and then you may continue to operate the machine for several weeks or years without achieving anything. You may not be so lucky and lose everything.

The majority will choose to join a mining pool, and then you will have the options of PPS, FPPS, PPLNS, PPS+, and then, with the expenses of electricity, maintenance, and depreciation, you will determine whether mining is profitable for you or not.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
January 03, 2024, 07:50:55 AM
Questions

You can be a solo miner or join a mining pool.

Solo miner

If you are a solo miner, that means if you mine a block, you will earn the mining reward alone. But the chance will be small if you do not have enough money to get yourself miners and setup mining farms. To be a solo miner may not be gone for because even you need huge amount of money to buy miners to join a mining pool, not to talk of being a solo miner and mining alone. But if you are rich enough like a multimillionaire, you may decide to begin a mining business without joining any mining pool. You can even become a mining pool.

Joining a mining pool

If you join a mining pool, you will use your miner to contribute to the hash rates that the mining pools are generating. There are other miners like you that also join the pool. The mining reward would be distributed to miners that contribute to the hashrates the pool is generating. Miners today are not solo miners but prefer to join a mining pool and earn a steady reward because mining pool mine new block often and distribute the reward to miners that join their pool in accordance to the hashrates they are contributing.

Some of the pools have a mining calculator or you can get yourself a mining calculator online to calculate if mining would be profitable for you. You will be able to also use the calculator to calculate the electricity cost.

Mining is still profitable if you get the right miners and also if you are in a country with cheap electricity.
Activity: 64
Merit: 18
January 03, 2024, 07:32:00 AM
Introduction
In the ever-busy world of business, profits and losses are key components experienced by those in it. However, from a very tender age until this minute, I have not come across anyone who chooses to make losses. Certainly, everyone loves to make profits through any means possible.

In a case where I happen to be the only one that sells a particular brand within a region or state, it is expected of me to make profits. But if there are other competitors that sell the same brand as me within the same region, the tendency of making profits is likely not to happen due to the competition.

Questions

Note: I am asking these questions based on a miner's perspective, considering the cost of power supply consumed and the fixing/replacement of faulty mining machines.
Pages:
Jump to: